First oil change, ouch

Oilburner

2004 2500 140"cargo l/r
Espar heater fail at 57.000, EGR.. this are peanuts and would not judge base on that. Fix Or Repair Daily is always to happen.

sanomechanic

The way I see it is. If these Transits are so great of a buy vs a Sprinter. Why is it then Sprinters...
A: sell long before they are even built
B: Are so desirable that the dealer can not keep them on the lot
C: Are used as a comparison tool for all other steel boxes?

I'm not a fan of Walmart shoes

Oilburner

2004 2500 140"cargo l/r
I have brand new 2020 Hyundai Tucson with 12K on the clock. This thing gets worse mileage than my 16 years old cargo. I owned 4 year old Chevy Express 4.8 engine cargo I was lucky to get 11 mile to a gallon. Versus 23- 26 for 10 years of driving my Sprinter. Glad I sold that junk and get almost the money to buy Sprinter. That guy who bought from me lived on same street. Had wallet flushed every week and said he regret it.
I would not trade for thirsty Ford either.

126v8

The Transit has its good points really-it’s a Ford so parts and dealers plentiful,gas so no DEF DPF etc almost impossible to miss fuel oil change way less.The 3500 just looks ungainly with that rear overhang and the intrusive left front wheel on the driver side.
O their seats suck compared to the VS30 comfort seats.Sprinter legroom is just right too

sailquik

coss370,
Just getting your services done at whatever MB Authorized Sprinter Dealer is closest when
you need the service has a rather large "downside".
If you take your Sprinter back to one dealer, and establish a working relationship with that dealer,
giving them all of your Sprinter service business, you get registered into the MB Sprinter Proprietary
Service Database.
So, that dealer will know everything that has ever been done on your Sprinter RV.
It will be in the service advisors computer.
They don't give out this information to owners freely (that's why they have labeled it
"proprietary". but I've been handed a copy of everything they've done on my Sprinters a
couple of time, by mistake.
Keeping track of everything that is done to your Sprinter, at a single dealer, where you have
everything on your Sprinter done, can save you a lot of $$ down the road.
Everything they replace, under warranty, extends the warranty on that item for 2 years, parts and
labor (normally).
So if your DEF tank or your DPF goes out when you are nearing the end of your 100k Federal
Emissions warranty, you can add 2 years and thousands more miles if the problem happens again,
saving you several thousand dollars. They fix it under the individual part warranty even after the
Vehicle warranty has expired.
If you aren't happy with the first Authorized MB Sprinter dealer that has the upgraded commercial
shop with the lower hourly shop labor rates for Sprinter service and repairs, visit some other Authorized Sprinter dealers and see if you can establish a good working relationship with them
for your Sprinter services, at the reduced commercial hourly rates.
You may have to do a bit of negotiating, (be nice, but assertive) to get them to cover some of
the repairs under warranty, but you have the warranty book and and have the ability to negotiate
with them on how you interpret the warranty.
If you just offer them a credit card, they will for sure increase the prices for both parts and labor.
If you negotiate with them, in good faith, you can often get a goodwill discount, etc. that you will
never get if you take your Sprinter to a different dealer each time it needs service.
The dealer may not be real close to where you live, (my dealer is 185miles each way and usually
involves a $60.00 motel room if I want to get in first thing in the morning and out in the afternoon,
but overall, I think I've saved enough after 6 Sprinters that it makes financial sense to continue to
maintain that relationship with my favorite dealer.
Hope this helps,
Roger

Last edited:

Philip53

2021 2500 Sprinter 170RWD, 4 cyl gas (on order)
Seriously, something looks wrong with this. I replaced my '16 V-6 diesel fuel filter last year with an OEM replacement, and I think it was $70-80 maybe. I think I would look around for another dealer next time and for sure get an itemized list of parts & complete labor quote.

Kevin.Hutch

2011 Mercedes 313 906
I am intrigued with the engine oil price and volume, has the Sprinter sump jumped to 13 litres.

Attachments

John E

So - brand wise, you're happy with your transit and we know it....:deadhorse:
.... but repeatedly bash the Sprinter on the Sprinter forum for what o_O ?
Just conversation?
Personally I find Dave's insight very useful. I like hearing about whatever problems sprinter owners have had, and what he likes about the Transit. I'm basically here to gain knowledge and insight, not as a fanboy. Although I am a fan, and just bought a 2nd 2016 Sprinter.

Graphite Dave

Dave Orton
The way I see it is. If these Transits are so great of a buy vs a Sprinter. Why is it then Sprinters...
A: sell long before they are even built
B: Are so desirable that the dealer can not keep them on the lot
C: Are used as a comparison tool for all other steel boxes?

I'm not a fan of Walmart shoes
Kool Aid

FYI 2019 van sales show Transit sold 5 times the number of Sprinters sold. I think you were outvoted.

2019 US Passenger Car Sales Figures by Model | GCBC (goodcarbadcar.net)

Graphite Dave

Dave Orton
Globally. Ford does not even comes close
Curious. Do you have a link to global van sales figures?

I am sure you are aware that the Transit that is manufactured in the USA is not the same as Transits manufactured in other countries. Transits in USA have a version of the Ford F-150 drivetrain. Transit does not even sell a diesel Transit in USA in 2020.

We should get back to the original post where a Sprinter owner was quoted $1600 for a service. I just mentioned that a competitive brand had considerably less scheduled maintenance costs.

If you prefer and are happy with your Sprinter then that is what is important. What I think should not upset you.

sanomechanic

Curious. Do you have a link to global van sales figures?

I am sure you are aware that the Transit that is manufactured in the USA is not the same as Transits manufactured in other countries. Transits in USA have a version of the Ford F-150 drivetrain. Transit does not even sell a diesel Transit in USA in 2020.

We should get back to the original post where a Sprinter owner was quoted $1600 for a service. I just mentioned that a competitive brand had considerably less scheduled maintenance costs.

If you prefer and are happy with your Sprinter then that is what is important. What I think should not upset you.
I'm not at all upset. I don't own a Ford. I service my vehicles so not a big deal to me

coss370

Officially the service interval is 1 year or 20K miles. I don't know why the dash shows 2 years for whatever reason? This is what I hate, Mercedes isn't even consistent about what they put out. Prices are all over the place, services are all over place. :bash:

Top Bottom