Cold Start

blakepdrums

Hey I have a 03 t1n and need some insight on what's the best protocol for starting up my van when the weather is 30 degrees or below? it just seems like even when I let the glow plugs warm up several times that the van still struggles to to start up. Any help or tips would be greatly appreciated.

tinman

Make sure your battery and charging system are in good shape. A weak battery, poor grounds and contacts, will be a much bigger factor when the weather cools. Starting at 30*, especially if your glow plugs are working, shouldn't be a big deal.

blakepdrums

ok so I know I asked this question a while ago but I just now got around to getting my battery checked out and it was still good. I currently have 100% charge and have 12.89 volts on it and it is a 900 cold CCA battery. Would you recommend getting a bigger battery with a higher CCA? or do I have a glow plug issue?

ok so I know I asked this question a while ago but I just now got around to getting my battery checked out and it was still good. I currently have 100% charge and have 12.89 volts on it and it is a 900 cold CCA battery. Would you recommend getting a bigger battery with a higher CCA? or do I have a glow plug issue?
The battery sounds fine.

30F ambient is really not that cold. Your truck should start ok even if the glow plug system is a bit deficient.

Even a good battery can't overcome voltage losses from poor connections or cables. You need proper cranking speed for starting.

The above said, fuel delivery problems can cause starting issues. While cranking the fuel rail pressure needs to be 2900 psi or above for reliable starts.

vic

Nautamaran

2004 140” HRC 2500 (Crewed)
I have a autel ap200 would that work?
It will work best with the “Benz-Sprinter” add-in module acquired from Autel’s “mall”. Once installed (and after you‘re signed into your Autel account) the module will appear in the app as one of the main selections (along with EOBDII)
Follow the menues down to Manual Selection.. the engine module is at the top of the list, then choose “live data” and rail pressure is in the first group.

-dave

Top Bottom