Adventure Wagon Kit Review

djsincla

Are the lower walls the same material as the bed top (maybe same pattern but thinner)? I'm ordering the bed and a couple mules bags, but not going with the whole kit. I'd like to do something similar to yours on the lower wall panels in my garage area. I've never seen that black hex plywood anywhere, wondering if I can source it locally.
Yes - Walls are the same material as what you can get on the Moab/Monk. I was able to snag a waste sheet from Adventure Wagon and plan to use it to make a small enclosure for my fuse panel. Nice material for sure and unfortunately have not asked where they source it - I'm sure they can share that info.

RVBarry

2023 AWD 170 DIY CamperVan
Are the lower walls the same material as the bed top (maybe same pattern but thinner)? I'm ordering the bed and a couple mules bags, but not going with the whole kit. I'd like to do something similar to yours on the lower wall panels in my garage area. I've never seen that black hex plywood anywhere, wondering if I can source it locally.
I've seen it called hex or hexa grip plywood

RVBarry

2023 AWD 170 DIY CamperVan
Looks like great stuff, does anyone know a good way to source in the US? Central TX preferably.
Hi, My Google search result has ads for Penn Elcom, and results for Wisa.
Wisa lists a distributor in NJ:

blutow

Hi, My Google search result has ads for Penn Elcom, and results for Wisa.
Wisa lists a distributor in NJ:

Thanks. I thought both were EU only (I assumed based on phone numbers and addresses) and I kind of ignored them. I put in an order for a 4x8 sheet from Penn and shipping was only $25 to texas plus $8 vat tax (sales tax in my vocabulary). They called me and told me that had to cut it into 4 pieces to avoid freight shipping, so I cancelled my order. They have a site in Houston. Once I figure out exactly how much I need, I'll make a trip down there if I can't find it closer. I don't even have my van yet (on order), just procuring some parts and materials that might be hard to get or when I see them on sale.

alex.southpole

We are getting our kit in the next couple of weeks but are still struggling with the floor. How did you finish around the seat brackets in the floor? Looks like you didn't raise them up (like us) when you raised the floor? Did you cover some of the bracket under the floor as well?

Thanks for the videos!!!

Jaydavis226

I’m not totally happy with my kit. I wished I had a better phone conversation over the phone what is included that varies from photos on the Website. Somethings are very well done. Some areas are lacking.

The rear doors without windows should include fabric panels or extra fabric to complete at home.

The back side panels near rear doors that run from floor to ceiling. If you opt to have your bottom panels none fabric then the long panel should also match the bottom portion of the other panels. This drives me crazy because I store gasoline and toolbox here. I’m ordering hexagon to cover fabric in this area. “Photos included

I’d suggest drilling added holes in orange frame for more rivets. You are securing a L track with the rivnuts. That doesn’t sound smart. If you have anything mounted to the L-track that will shift while driving this will pull the l-track/rivnuts from the body. Mine lasted about two minutes on a dirt road. Not a very good Gear Hauler.

Adding a light switch is a must for celling panels.
Maybe I’m just bitching.

Attachments

Built.Vans

2024 170 AWD
One of the biggest issues I have with the kit is the overuse of L-track. It overkill in my opinion. And I see what you mean about that skinny piece way in the back. Rear doors look fine though, most leave some metal exposed.

240117a

herefortheparty
I’m not totally happy with my kit. I wished I had a better phone conversation over the phone what is included that varies from photos on the Website. Somethings are very well done. Some areas are lacking.

The rear doors without windows should include fabric panels or extra fabric to complete at home.

The back side panels near rear doors that run from floor to ceiling. If you opt to have your bottom panels none fabric then the long panel should also match the bottom portion of the other panels. This drives me crazy because I store gasoline and toolbox here. I’m ordering hexagon to cover fabric in this area. “Photos included

I’d suggest drilling added holes in orange frame for more rivets. You are securing a L track with the rivnuts. That doesn’t sound smart. If you have anything mounted to the L-track that will shift while driving this will pull the l-track/rivnuts from the body. Mine lasted about two minutes on a dirt road. Not a very good Gear Hauler.

Adding a light switch is a must for celling panels.
Maybe I’m just bitching.
Sounds like you might be just bitching, as you say but all relevant points. You could have ordered your far rear panels in black hex... FYI. As for the strength of the l-track, its very strong. Im blown away that you say yours is failing. I have over 500mi of rocky dirt road experience with my kit installed and have zero issues of bolts loosening or rivnuts failing. Perhaps its an install issue? As for the rear door window panels, why do you want panels there? There are a bunch of storage bag options that are much more useful than a panel.

Overall it sounds like my experience has been better than yours. I purchased the Adventure Wagon kit because of the engineering that has gone into the kit. Hard to find a stronger kit that is as easy to install.

Bets of luck mitigating the issues. Looks like a nice van.

240117a

herefortheparty
We are getting our kit in the next couple of weeks but are still struggling with the floor. How did you finish around the seat brackets in the floor? Looks like you didn't raise them up (like us) when you raised the floor? Did you cover some of the bracket under the floor as well?

Thanks for the videos!!!
The seat should be mounted to the brackets which mount directly to the metal floor of the van. I simply cut slots into the 3/4in marine grade plywood floor so the brackets countersink into the plywood, mounting directly to the van floor. Perhaps I do not understand how you mounted your seat but id stay away from raining your seat with anything other than what Mercedez provides to eliminate safety issues.
Good luck on the install.

alex.southpole

Hey guys. Here is a new review after 10k miles on it and after adding Vancompass Falcon adjustable shocks and some Flatline interior pieces. Hope this helps you all.

Thanks for the video update! I am in the process of installing the AW kit for our 2020 170". Have a couple questions for you.....
1) How do you like your mattress? Can you share which one you have?
2) How is the laguna table set up working for you? I am guessing that our seats are in the same location and we were worried the table would be tight. How did you attach the bracket to the wall?
3) Bummer on the lights. Instructions say to use locktite on all of the bolts but the fact that we may need to take the panels off in the future makes that less appealing. Did you use locktite?

Thanks!

240117a

herefortheparty
Thanks for the video update! I am in the process of installing the AW kit for our 2020 170". Have a couple questions for you.....
1) How do you like your mattress? Can you share which one you have?
2) How is the laguna table set up working for you? I am guessing that our seats are in the same location and we were worried the table would be tight. How did you attach the bracket to the wall?
3) Bummer on the lights. Instructions say to use locktite on all of the bolts but the fact that we may need to take the panels off in the future makes that less appealing. Did you use locktite?

Thanks!
Mattress is a HEST. I found several shitty ones before a good one. High recommend.
The table install was super easy. I mounted a plate on the van behind the panel so it can take some abuse and remain stable. I show it briefly in another video. Take a look.

alex.southpole

Mattress is a HEST. I found several shitty ones before a good one. High recommend.
The table install was super easy. I mounted a plate on the van behind the panel so it can take some abuse and remain stable. I show it briefly in another video. Take a look.
Thanks on the mattress and mount plate for the table. How about #3 on the locktite?

VanGoSki

@alex.southpole As I understand it, the Loctite gel is used as coating to prevent galling on the stainless steel screws that attach the L track to the steel framework and speed struts. It won't actually lock the screws into place because you're going to be tightening and loosening the screws several times during the install and so breaking the bond. If you've ever worked with stainless fasteners, you know that galling is a horrendous problem. So make darn sure you hit every screw with a glob of the gel.

The use of stainless screws is something new for AdWag. They used to use regular plated screws which didn't need Loctite. However they developed corrosion over time due to condensation. So not everyone will have used the Loctite on their installation depending on which screws they got.

I had many screws loosen soon after my install. However, since going back and snugging every screw, they've held perfectly now. I think a lot of it is just having things settle into place.

I'm still pretty bullish on AdWag. It's quite awesome stuff and suits my intended build perfectly.

lndscpe

I'm a huge fan of the Adventure Wagon kit. I chose black button for the lower panels since bikes and boxes would be at the lower levels.
I did the same thing and for the same reason. Just about finished with the install waiting for a few other parts to come in. I do really like the ADV Kit and they are great with their customer service, at least they have been for me as two panels were mistakenly left off my order and they shipped them out two days after i called. Hopefully they will be here this next week and I can finish cutting the CR Lawerence windows out of the panels there sending and get this put together. Heres a pic of the Nite lighting project just finished up for the van, nothing like nite lighting :) sorry for the off topic nite pics

Attachments

Top Bottom