Adventure Wagon Kit Review

240117a

herefortheparty
If you are wanting to see and know a bit more about the Adventure Wagon kits and install process, here are a couple video that will help you decide and/or install. I share some pros/cons of the system and things that I learned along the way.

Review during install:

Review after install:

VanGoSki

Nice vids. I hacked up the AdWag wiring harness too, with the fuse box in my wheel well area. I had that same issue with the driver's side B pillar interference, but I hacked a hole in that corner filler piece to clear the pillar piece. It actually looks OK if you don't look to close. LOL.

What are those panels that you installed in your rear door window panels, and how did you attach them? I'm assuming you don't have rear windows. I have those areas insulated for now, but I want to add some kind of panels like you did. I need to do something for my side door too. Thanks.

240117a

herefortheparty
Nice vids. I hacked up the AdWag wiring harness too, with the fuse box in my wheel well area. I had that same issue with the driver's side B pillar interference, but I hacked a hole in that corner filler piece to clear the pillar piece. It actually looks OK if you don't look to close. LOL.

What are those panels that you installed in your rear door window panels, and how did you attach them? I'm assuming you don't have rear windows. I have those areas insulated for now, but I want to add some kind of panels like you did. I need to do something for my side door too. Thanks.
Would love to see your pillar hack. Also, Adwag told me they are redesigning that piece and will send me when complete. Worth asking them for one for your van as well.

The panels in the rear door window area are stock panels with stock clips from Mercedes. Same can be found for sliding door. I have insulation behind them. Im actually getting ride of them next week as I have some of these coming: https://rbcomponents.com/collection...n-fabric-rear-door-window-shade-stuff-bag-kit

240117a

herefortheparty
Oh, I didn't know MB had those as an option. Those RB covers are a great idea. Please update us when you get them. I'll probably follow suite!

This is the only shot I have handy of that area, but I'll take a closeup of it tomorrow if I think of it.

Ah. I see what you did. Its a tough piece to trim. Also, good idea on Lagun table mount. Never thought of mounting the l-track. Totally removable.

kper

Vangoski -- tangential topic but figured I'd ask. Looks like you have the headliner installed -- any tips on the best approach to get that on to minimize wrinkles? I laid the fabric over the headliner the other day and was concerned it will be difficult to get it right (I have the adwag cut/sewn liner).

My general plan was to start at the console bulge/hole and work my way out, cutting at the corners where the fabric has to wrap under the console and pray that I can smooth out any wrinkles!

thanks

VanGoSki

Vangoski -- tangential topic but figured I'd ask. Looks like you have the headliner installed -- any tips on the best approach to get that on to minimize wrinkles? I laid the fabric over the headliner the other day and was concerned it will be difficult to get it right (I have the adwag cut/sewn liner).

My general plan was to start at the console bulge/hole and work my way out, cutting at the corners where the fabric has to wrap under the console and pray that I can smooth out any wrinkles!

thanks
Yes, I did the same thing as you. Tried a test fit of the headliner, shook my head and brought it to an auto upholstery shop. :lol:
I'm pretty fearless on most things mechanical, but I don't do much upholstery, especially on all those complex curved surfaces. I probably would have made a mess out of it. They did a great job and charged me around $200. Had it back in a day.

kper

haha, sounds like exactly my reaction. Good thought -- that would be money well spent for the peace of mind. I will call around

djsincla

I'm a huge fan of the Adventure Wagon kit. I chose black button for the lower panels since bikes and boxes would be at the lower levels.

Attachments

hilld

I'm a huge fan of the Adventure Wagon kit. I chose black button for the lower panels since bikes and boxes would be at the lower levels.
I really like that look. That is what my plan is, but I am doing my own advan kit. I bought their MOAB regular bed and 1 bunk bed as well as the V2 install kit. The rails I am doing myself as I didn't want their panels and they wouldn't sell me the rails on their own.

kper

As a follow up to the earlier post about the headliner in case anyone finds this in a search later, I highly recommend following vangoski's advice about the headliner. I found a reputable automotive upholstery shop that installed mine for $160. It looks perfect. Without a doubt worth the relatively small amount of money. And I also recommend the headliner to match whatever interior you pick -- I think it really ties everything together vs the abrupt change to OEM gray...

djsincla

I really like that look. That is what my plan is, but I am doing my own advan kit. I bought their MOAB regular bed and 1 bunk bed as well as the V2 install kit. The rails I am doing myself as I didn't want their panels and they wouldn't sell me the rails on their own.
Its a smart floor with a black dot coating. New seats mount to the L-Track in the floor and can be moved/removed/reveresed in seconds.

Attachments

hilld

Its a smart floor with a black dot coating. New seats mount to the L-Track in the floor and can be moved/removed/reveresed in seconds.
I have that same smart floor - just had it installed last week. I only chose 2 seats without arm rests as I don't have to haul a basketball team around. :ROFLMAO: My floor is still bare, I will put something down when I am done with the build, don't want to ruin it with ground in drill shavings, etc. I am glad you are leading the charge here and making this look good for me to copy.

djsincla

I have that same smart floor - just had it installed last week. I only chose 2 seats without arm rests as I don't have to haul a basketball team around. :ROFLMAO: My floor is still bare, I will put something down when I am done with the build, don't want to ruin it with ground in drill shavings, etc. I am glad you are leading the charge here and making this look good for me to copy.
FYI - The floor covering is applied before the l-track is bolted down so the lip of the l-track holds the material down.

hilld

Fully understand. Lots of screws to remove but worth it. Might be another 5 or 6 months at my pace. :unsure:

blutow

Looks great, I really like the dark/light contrast. Any issues with rattling/squeaks with the bed? How do you like the mule bags?

djsincla

Looks great, I really like the dark/light contrast. Any issues with rattling/squeaks with the bed? How do you like the mule bags?
Mule bag is great! We don't have room for more than one in the current config.

I have one squeak but I am not sure its the bed ;) The gas shocks built into each panel do a great job of keeping everything tensioned.

I wanted light panels inside the vehicle so they don't match to the front hood lining but IMO, fine by me. In previous vans, the lower panels got pretty beat up so lower black made sense for us especially for bikes and boxes.

blutow

Mule bag is great! We don't have room for more than one in the current config.

I have one squeak but I am not sure its the bed ;) The gas shocks built into each panel do a great job of keeping everything tensioned.

I wanted light panels inside the vehicle so they don't match to the front hood lining but IMO, fine by me. In previous vans, the lower panels got pretty beat up so lower black made sense for us especially for bikes and boxes.
Are the lower walls the same material as the bed top (maybe same pattern but thinner)? I'm ordering the bed and a couple mules bags, but not going with the whole kit. I'd like to do something similar to yours on the lower wall panels in my garage area. I've never seen that black hex plywood anywhere, wondering if I can source it locally.

Top Bottom