Adventure Wagon Kit Review

Spass

I've been heavily researching the AdWag kit for almost a year and all this info, and especially pics, has really helped! Has anyone done one with bamboo? I like your colors hdaniels, I would be working on bikes in the back, so that would have to be black and maybe bamboo? Does AdWag include wheel well coverings of anykind? I see you have yours with Kilmat. Also- anyone done the 170 WB? How big of a time difference you think the extra long van is?

Thanks for all the great content from everyone that shared!
I have the adventure wagon kit in my van with a bamboo ceiling. It’s a nice touch,imo.

VanGoSki

Your CO2 sensor should be near the floor...C02 is heavier than air...otherwise it won't do you much good. (unless you have already moved it there) :)
It's a CO (carbon monoxide) detector, and CO is slightly lighter than air. So my location is theoretically and practically correct. Although in practice, the molecular weights of the two gases are so close that you can really put a CO detector anywhere.

slamit

www.cacampervan.com
It's a CO (carbon monoxide) detector, and CO is slightly lighter than air. So my location is theoretically and practically correct. Although in practice, the molecular weights of the two gases are so close that you can really put a CO detector anywhere.
Actually you are correct...I was thinking of Propane/co2 sensors I use often. :)

djsincla

On your Smart Floor, it looks like you have six rails of L-Track for the seats. And maybe a seventh closer to the passenger side wall? Is that factory or something you did after the install?
You can order a smart floor with any track config.

• Thanks
Reactions: sms

Flatiron99

We are mid install on our AW kit. I am a fan so far. We are insulating and just put the headliner back.

Has anyone found finish trim pieces to go around the holes you put in the AW panels in the garage area to feed in the main harness lines for power? All my power is routed in reverse to driver side rear corner. I am looking for 2 and 3 inch finish trim pieces so its not just a hole in the kit wall? Wondering if anyone found anything? Eventually that will be inside the cabinet but want a clean and not abrasive finish to each hole.

P

Patrick walsh

McMaster Carr is your friend for everything. Like everything. Search rubber grommets.

Pickleball

2022 2500 144 High roof 4 cyl diesel
I’d suggest drilling added holes in orange frame for more rivets. You are securing a L track with the rivnuts. That doesn’t sound smart. If you have anything mounted to the L-track that will shift while driving this will pull the l-track/rivnuts from the body. Mine lasted about two minutes on a dirt road.
Using rivnuts concerns me as well, though people seem to say it works.
They are being used to hold two pieces of sheet metal together (factory frame and orange bracing), one of which (orange frame) is under some tension and wants to bend in some locations, rather than just being used to install a threaded insert into sheet metal. How much do rivnuts work by squeezing out sideways rather than squeezing along along their axis (which would hold the two pieces of sheet metal together)?
So I would think a plusnut would be better and I may install a few of them. Though I haven’t found a source for a small quantity of 6 mm plusnuts.
At least the option for securing the ceiling braces is given to use through bolts through both sides of the factory ceiling rib supports rather than rivnuts. Seems better for such vertical holding.

hilld

Using rivnuts concerns me as well, though people seem to say it works.
They are being used to hold two pieces of sheet metal together (factory frame and orange bracing), one of which (orange frame) is under some tension and wants to bend in some locations, rather than just being used to install a threaded insert into sheet metal. How much do rivnuts work by squeezing out sideways rather than squeezing along along their axis (which would hold the two pieces of sheet metal together)?
So I would think a plusnut would be better and I may install a few of them. Though I haven’t found a source for a small quantity of 6 mm plusnuts.
At least the option for securing the ceiling braces is given to use through bolts through both sides of the factory ceiling rib supports rather than rivnuts. Seems better for such vertical holding.
Here you go, comes in packs of 10. https://www.mcmaster.com/97217A444/

Pickleball

Here you go, comes in packs of 10. https://www.mcmaster.com/97217A444/
I had seen those. They say for use in plastics. Probably doesn’t mean they can’t be used in sheet metal.

Adventure Wagon had told me they use rivnuts instead of Plusnuts because the Plusnut head is thicker than a rivnut’s and may result in the attached L track rocking. However, I see online that rivnut’s head thickness is 1.3 mm vs 1.5 mm for Plusnut. What is the thickness of the rivnut’s that Adventure Wagon uses?
Not enough difference in terms of rocking nor if both types were used on same L track.

Maybe their issue is there are no reasonable priced power Plusnut install tools. They use Astro Pneumatic PRN1 for rivnuts. That does a linear pull on the rivnut as opposed to most manual tools for example that may have to be used with Plusnut that rotate the mandrel bolt threads to compress the nut and may damage the threads of that nut.

hilld

I had seen those. They say for use in plastics. Probably doesn’t mean they can’t be used in sheet metal.

Adventure Wagon had told me they use rivnuts instead of Plusnuts because the Plusnut head is thicker than a rivnut’s and may result in the attached L track rocking. However, I see online that rivnut’s head thickness is 1.3 mm vs 1.5 mm for Plusnut. What is the thickness of the rivnut’s that Adventure Wagon uses?
Not enough difference in terms of rocking nor if both types were used on same L track.

Maybe their issue is there are no reasonable priced power Plusnut install tools. They use Astro Pneumatic PRN1 for rivnuts. That does a linear pull on the rivnut as opposed to most manual tools for example that may have to be used with Plusnut that rotate the mandrel bolt threads to compress the nut and may damage the threads of that nut.
I documented the differences in my build thread. In any case, ADWagon is correct, the head is thicker on the plus nuts, but not a big deal.

Pickleball

I documented the differences in my build thread. In any case, ADWagon is correct, the head is thicker on the plus nuts, but not a big deal.
Astro Pneumatic had told me they have no air powered tool for setting Plusnuts. In your build post #52 you say “know some people have mentioned that the standard RivNut setting tools won't set the Plus-Nuts, but my Astro PRN1, does the job, but you have to do it 3 times. Set, tighten the mandrel till it bottoms out, set, tighten again, set and back out the mandrel.”
Did you have to use a longer mantel bolt with the plusnut?
The PRN1 does a linear pull with no rotation.

hilld

Astro Pneumatic had told me they have no air powered tool for setting Plusnuts. In your build post #52 you say “know some people have mentioned that the standard RivNut setting tools won't set the Plus-Nuts, but my Astro PRN1, does the job, but you have to do it 3 times. Set, tighten the mandrel till it bottoms out, set, tighten again, set and back out the mandrel.”
Did you have to use a longer mantel bolt with the plusnut?
The PRN1 does a linear pull with no rotation.
I am just using the included mandrel. It sometimes only takes 2 pulls but often 3 as I have already mentioned.

Pickleball

I am just using the included mandrel. It sometimes only takes 2 pulls but often 3 as I have already mentioned.
How many threads of the (6 mm?) plusnut are engaged by the PRN1 tool before beginning to pull the plusnut?
Is it possible to obtain a longer mandrel ? It looks to be more than just a bolt.

hilld

How many threads of the (6 mm?) plusnut are engaged by the PRN1 tool before beginning to pull the plusnut?
Is it possible to obtain a longer mandrel ? It looks to be more than just a bolt.
I have no idea how many threads, but it is certainly more than enough. You are correct, it is not just a bolt, but I have probably installed 200 or so and have not had an issue.

sfhsprinter

Oh, I didn't know MB had those as an option. Those RB covers are a great idea. Please update us when you get them. I'll probably follow suite!

This is the only shot I have handy of that area, but I'll take a closeup of it tomorrow if I think of it.

I also really like your idea with the Lagun table mounting. How hard is it to mount that lower L-Track to the Adwagon panel?

Top Bottom