Adventure Wagon Kit Review

hilld

I’m not totally happy with my kit. I wished I had a better phone conversation over the phone what is included that varies from photos on the Website. Somethings are very well done. Some areas are lacking.

The rear doors without windows should include fabric panels or extra fabric to complete at home.

The back side panels near rear doors that run from floor to ceiling. If you opt to have your bottom panels none fabric then the long panel should also match the bottom portion of the other panels. This drives me crazy because I store gasoline and toolbox here. I’m ordering hexagon to cover fabric in this area. “Photos included

I’d suggest drilling added holes in orange frame for more rivets. You are securing a L track with the rivnuts. That doesn’t sound smart. If you have anything mounted to the L-track that will shift while driving this will pull the l-track/rivnuts from the body. Mine lasted about two minutes on a dirt road. Not a very good Gear Hauler.

Adding a light switch is a must for celling panels.
Maybe I’m just bitching.
I am making my own AdVan kit, almost. I did buy the V2 bed install kit, so I have the vertical rails. I am installing the horizontal L-Track using Plus-Nut, so hopefully they won't be pulling out. Also I am using US Cargo Control L-Track, where there is a screw hole every 4".

Basically, the question I am getting at, what did you use after you pulled out some of the RivNuts that failed on you?

I'm a huge fan of the Adventure Wagon kit. I chose black button for the lower panels since bikes and boxes would be at the lower levels.

How are you liking the Smart floor, in regard to Insulation? I was looking into this option for a buildout, but am concerned about cold temps coming through the floor.

Im struggling to find a decent DOT option for a Cargo Van, beginning to lean toward ordering a Crew just to have the Seat attachments already in place, any advice/options appreciated

hilld

I am planning on perhaps some thin mini cell insulation on top of the floor then some carpet to serve as a thermal break. Once the seats are in place, I don't see them being moved around during the trip. I am also toying with the idea of running some 3/8" radiant tubing through the floor ribs, but I haven't seen anyone doing that. I did shine a flashlight through and it is completely open to push tubing through if one wanted to try that route.

Mad Vans actually did a setup with radiant heating and the smart floor. I have the SmartFloor and it's pretty cold on the feet up at the mountain. It is not insulated yet. I plan on cutting strips of Thinsulate and pulling it through. That won't eliminate all the cold but it should help a little.

hilld

Let me know how that works as the ribs are probably what is transmitting the temp from the van floor to the top of the smart floor. Do you happen to have a link to the Mad Vans install, would be curious to see some pictures.

Bjorgens

I may be mistaken, but I think the Mad Vans radiant floor thing was done in conjunction with these folks - located in PDX. Apologies to all involved if I've got that wrong.

hilld

I may be mistaken, but I think the Mad Vans radiant floor thing was done in conjunction with these folks - located in PDX. Apologies to all involved if I've got that wrong.

@Bjorgens - this is perfect. I am just across the river from Portland. I have already sent them a note.

sms

Its a smart floor with a black dot coating. New seats mount to the L-Track in the floor and can be moved/removed/reveresed in seconds.
On your Smart Floor, it looks like you have six rails of L-Track for the seats. And maybe a seventh closer to the passenger side wall? Is that factory or something you did after the install?

sms

One of the biggest issues I have with the kit is the overuse of L-track. It overkill in my opinion. And I see what you mean about that skinny piece way in the back. Rear doors look fine though, most leave some metal exposed.
Tangential question to the L-Track topic. Does anyone have experience with the Adventure Wagon black anodized L-Track? Does it hold up? Does it scuff up easily?

hilld

On your Smart Floor, it looks like you have six rails of L-Track for the seats. And maybe a seventh closer to the passenger side wall? Is that factory or something you did after the install?
You can order the tracks pretty much any way you want. Each floor is a custom design and you have to approve the drawing. The reason for this is that AMF Burns doesn't know which seats you want, how many across, etc. All the rails come like that from the factory, not sure you could install them afterwards, but I suppose anything is possible.

• Thanks
Reactions: sms

RVBarry

2023 AWD 170 DIY CamperVan
Tangential question to the L-Track topic. Does anyone have experience with the Adventure Wagon black anodized L-Track? Does it hold up? Does it scuff up easily?
Hi, it's black anodized, so it won't damage any more easily than clear anodizing. But it would be more obvious.

• Thanks

sms

Hi, it's black anodized, so it won't damage any more easily than clear anodizing. But it would be more obvious.
Understood. Worried about the "obvious" part.

We ordered the sample kit. The piece of black L-track they sent is obviously a defect - and has some pretty visible marring. Maybe not the best way to convince my better half that black is the way to go.

hdaniels

Looks like you have the flare space kit? Did it come totally finished like that for the flares/windows or did you have to do that part?
That did not come that way. That all has to be custom fitted and then covered with material. Installing the Flares are relatively easy, no harder then installing a window. Good video from Freedom VanGo on how to install the Flares and how to line the Flare rings. Lining the Flares with closed cell foam and material with the arctic tern windows is a bit of a challenge, lots of curves to deal with and zero instructions or any good videos to help with the install. I did line the Flares before installation because I felt it would be easier on a bench then installed in the van. Next big challenge is getting the Flare rings to fit the Flares while attached to the wall panels. Again, no instructions or any DIY videos. Took me several days to get it right and a lot of installing and taking out. In the end I did get it all to fit nice and tight. The MOAB bed rails need to be installed to push in the wall panels which push in the flare rings up tight to the Flares.

sms

I have the black anodized, I think it looks great but it will be more care not to scratch it. A black sharpie does help a lot.View attachment 173493
Kit looks great. What color fabric did you choose? Almost looks like two colors?

And looks like maybe you went with black hex in the garage? Considering the same. Happy with the decision?

hdaniels

The interior is all charcoal. Black hex in the garage, so far I am happy with the Adwag interior kit. I would recommend getting the headliner cover as well. Initially, I did not but after installing the rest of the kit, adding the headliner cover brought the whole build together.

• Thanks

Mendeleev34

I also have the AdWag and Smartfloor combo and it’s been great. We love having all of the L track everywhere, super convenient for arranging the van for different purposes. Plus we have small kids and they love connecting accessories to it and hanging their toys from the ceiling and making up all sorts of crazy games. Note on the Mule Bags too... they hold a massive amount of stuff - really helps keep things organized with all the people we have.

I've been heavily researching the AdWag kit for almost a year and all this info, and especially pics, has really helped! Has anyone done one with bamboo? I like your colors hdaniels, I would be working on bikes in the back, so that would have to be black and maybe bamboo? Does AdWag include wheel well coverings of anykind? I see you have yours with Kilmat. Also- anyone done the 170 WB? How big of a time difference you think the extra long van is?

Thanks for all the great content from everyone that shared!

slamit

www.cacampervan.com
Oh, I didn't know MB had those as an option. Those RB covers are a great idea. Please update us when you get them. I'll probably follow suite!

This is the only shot I have handy of that area, but I'll take a closeup of it tomorrow if I think of it.

Your CO2 sensor should be near the floor...C02 is heavier than air...otherwise it won't do you much good. (unless you have already moved it there) :)

Top Bottom