ECU Removal

M.A.T

Went to remove the ecu today and found limited resources online so here is my write-up on the subject.

the ecu is located in the engine compartment above the drivers side wheel well.

step 1:disconnect negative battery terminal. My battery is located Under the drivers floorboard. Remove the trim near the door, then remove the floormat and finally remove the metal battery cover to gain access to the battery.

step 2: disconnect the 2 harnesses from the ecu. The trick here is to pull the tabs out, the ones that look like they are meant to grab with your index finger and thumb. as you pull these to the outside the connector will push away from the ecu. The tabs are a little hard to pull but you can wiggle them up and down while you are pulling to get them to move.

step 3: push out the 2 pins that hold the ecu down and then lift the ecu.

Attachments

MNBrad

2020 170 4x4
Interesting. I'm going to adjust my ECU for the new wheel/tire size.
What was your reason behind removing it?

Mike DZ

2016 View 24V (2015 3500)
Who are you sending it to? Mine just went out ?
If you truly have an ECU problem (and not wanting a tune) SOS Diagnostics is the gold standard - http://www.sosdiagnostics.com/sprinter.html
As noted elsewhere on their site, they focus on providing service to tech and shops, so are not set up to provide handholding services to DIY. However, other forum members have used their tech services without difficulties.

ptheland

2013 144" low top Passgr
step 1:disconnect negative battery terminal. My battery is located Under the drivers floorboard. Remove the trim near the door, then remove the floormat and finally remove the metal battery cover to gain access to the battery.
You might look on the firewall next to the accelerator pedal. There is a post there with a connection that grounds the battery. As long as no one has been mucking around with the electric system, that would disconnect the battery, and is a whole lot easier and quicker than accessing the battery.

Top Bottom