Radio antenna amp weirdness

borabora

I bought my 2016 2500 with a Pioneer radio/nav unit installed. The unit works fine and is patched in through what I think is an after-market harness. However, FM has been poor. Didn't take much research to find out that many after-market harnesses do not supply power to the Sprinter's antenna amp located in the antenna housing. So, I tackled the problem by removing the stereo and the dome light giving access to the bottom of the antenna.

From the antenna a violet/black wire is supposedly the power wire, a black wire carries RF signal and neutral is through the body.

I established continuity between the violet/black wire at the antenna and a violet/black wire into the harness which has no connection to anything else (in the stereo).
So, I say "bingo" and all I have to do is patch into the violet/black wire and feed it a voltage from the stereo's blue/white wire which is a trigger voltage for electric antennas or power amps to turn on.

But, I try to be careful and so before patching into the violet/black wire I want to verify that it doesn't get 12V from somewhere else under the dash. So, I probe it with the stereo on and I see what? I see -12V. Minus twelve volts! Polarity on my meter is correct. Where does -12V come from???

My theory now is that the unpowered antenna amp itself somehow magically puts out -12V through induction voodoo. Can anyone who knows anything about RF amps comment on that? Besides that theory is there a Canbus -12V signal?

Obviously I don't want to connect +12V to something that appears to be at -12V unless this is a stray signal from the unpowered antenna amp. Thanks for any feedback.

borabora

Okay, never mind. I had my head where the sun don't shine.
I used ground at the dome light for measuring. But the dome light switch controls (-) and not (+) as I assumed. When you use the negative side of the build when the bulb is off it is pulled to 12V. The floating power lead at the antenna amp gets pulled to ground by the amp. And so it goes...

But, I can highly recommend powering that antenna amp if you are using an after-market head unit and you are not certain that your antenna amp gets voltage. Makes a huge difference in reception. If you are relying on a stereo installation shop don't assume that they'll do it correctly.

Top Bottom