My 2010 Euro5 NCV3 - The King is Dead. Long live the King.

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
ozzy get a Vin document sheet from your dealer everything is on it plus day and month of manufacture. You might be surprised.
Richard

ozzy

ozzy get a Vin document sheet from your dealer everything is on it plus day and month of manufacture. You might be surprised.
Richard
Hi Richard,
This gets me thinking do i really want to know, or are you trying to tell me something :hmmm: i love my van its the best one i have had so far :shhh:

mean_in_green

>2,000,000m in MB vans
No, that's the VIN plate sticker. So nothing else on the base? I'm sure yours is Euro5 Ozzy.

I think I see the problem now:

"TSG480" is infact DC's 6 speed 'box but only for the V6 manual. Maybe I mistakenly took it to mean that it was the auto for the V6 and also the 163bhp 4 pot?

Yes, it's simple: the misunderstanding appears to be mine - a mix up of TSG480 / previously unrecognised manual for V6 / auto for V6 / auto for OM651 info from the brochure. My apology to everyone. From what I can now tell the auto does appear to be the NAG380 - which has five ratios, although I thought I counted six when tried earlier in the week.

Good grief - what if I should count six ratios in the morning...?!

Last edited:

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
Hi Richard,
This gets me thinking do i really want to know, or are you trying to tell me something :hmmm: i love my van its the best one i have had so far :shhh:
ozzy great van but the plate is politcal
Get a Vin doc sheet from Chris.
The thread is drifting form Simons original format.
simple question is your unit a 3 series or 2 series sprinter
Richard

ozzy

OO yea drifting from the original sorry...
its a 3 as in 319 mwb std roof 3.0l 5 speed auto euro 5 (Got the cheaper road fund licence)

ozzy

No, that's the VIN plate sticker. So nothing else on the base? I'm sure yours is Euro5 Ozzy.

"TSG480" is infact DC's 6 speed 'box but only for the V6 manual. Maybe I mistakenly took it to mean that it was the auto for the V6 and also the 163bhp 4 pot?

Yes, it's simple: the misunderstanding appears to be mine - a mix up of TSG480 / previously unrecognised manual for V6 / auto for V6 / auto for OM651 info from the brochure. My apology to everyone. From what I can now tell the auto does appear to be the NAG380 - which has five ratios, although I thought I counted six when tried earlier in the week.

Arrr god knows whats going on now :hmmm:
i did just find this, if you look on page 2 it says about gear boxes there :thumbup:

http://www.newvanwarehouse.co.uk/images/Euro5.pdf

ozzy

Actually the V6 Auto G40 TSG 480 has six speed ratios True Blue! they really have six ratios::smilewink:
Richard
Arr but is that 5 forward and 1 reverse :tongue: =6 :thinking: i deffo only have 5 and its not the true blue version!
Chris is sending me the vin sheet so will keep you posted.

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
Arr but is that 5 forward and 1 reverse :tongue: =6 :thinking: i deffo only have 5 and its not the true blue version!
Chris is sending me the vin sheet so will keep you posted.
You win the Blue Ribbon Prize
:clapping:
Had a big giggle over that one;DJ went on a thread asking Mark why they do not have a six speed G40 auto trans:smilewink:
Richard

NYC SPRINTERS

:idunno:ok i guess i'm back looking for a 6 speed manual then:rad::clapping:

mean_in_green

>2,000,000m in MB vans
It's sometimes difficult for me to count gear changes with my '02 5 speed auto. Depending on conditions, torque converter lockup in 2nd can feel like another gear.
Agreed TH - I did a couple of night time standing starts out of rest areas on the French autoroute this week to get to the bottom of it and was convinced of "six" over "five". I figured it out by holding it in fourth then seeing how many higher it would go from there - answer: one (as any fule kno'...). The torque converter lock up you describe feels identical to a shift change. In my defence I've still only done nominal mileage in it and a full slush 'box is a new thing for me.

"As we were!"

Last edited:

ozzy

Agreed TH - I did a couple of night time standing starts out of rest areas on the French autoroute this week to get to the bottom of it and was convinced of "six" over "five". I figured it out by holding it in fourth then seeing how many higher it would go from there - answer: one (as any fule kno'...). The torque converter lock up you describe feels identical to a shift change. In my defence I've still only done nominal mileage in it and a full slush 'box is a new thing for me.

"As we were!"
Wow, i can now take a deep breath in that i have the same box as you :thumbup: however i did do the research before i got mine and i did read that there was a new manual box to go with the euro 5 and that the auto was not changing.
On another note if when you push the gear leaver to the - do you not notice that the number 4 appears on the dash screen to say 4th gear!

MIG
So all in all how are you liking the auto to the sprint shift, i find it smoother, although it is sometimes not always in the right gear so kicks down to a lower on then is a little neck jolting.

mean_in_green

>2,000,000m in MB vans
Yep, same if you tip down one from an indicated “4”, leaves you with an indicated “3”.

I really like its smoothness, it definitely aces a Sprintshift on that front. Had a couple of peculiar gear choice moments like you describe. Occasionally I find myself tipping it + early with an eye to the mpg. My typical van driving style tends towards short shifting and letting the torque do the lugging, it seems to complement that well enough so far.

However I still really admire the Sprintshift concept too. Ask me in about, ooh I don’t know – maybe another 800,000kms?

talkinghorse43

Ask me in about, ooh I don’t know – maybe another 800,000kms?
If you're lucky, might be lower maintenance than your Sprintshift experience - no dual mass flywheel to replace. What sticks in my head is an Ebay listing for an '02 here in the US several years ago with 560k miles that had been used for interoffice mail delivery. Reported to be in good shape except for slipping 3-4 shift. Had been slipping since ~250k miles!

mean_in_green

>2,000,000m in MB vans
When you consider a clutch kit, release bearing and flywheel are ~£1,100 dealer fitted and that I fitted four of those to my T1Ncan the replacement cost for the NAG1 isn't such a big deal. Seems there are two replacement options: one new, one used but with torque converter replaced at ~£4,000 and ~£2,000 respectively. See how this one lasts anyway, if I'm lucky I might get similar durability as the old one with only routine maintainence costs, or I might not... For me the maintainence costs are comparable as I replaced my Sprintshift fluid annually anyway.

Something I do notice though: from a cold start I seem to need to rev the engine higher than I would like to in order to get drive through the 'box, it's as if the converter isn't locking early enough. Only say the first two or three manouevres whilst I move out from where I might be parked. Commonplace for a full auto?

talkinghorse43

Something I do notice though: from a cold start I seem to need to rev the engine higher than I would like to in order to get drive through the 'box, it's as if the converter isn't locking early enough. Only say the first two or three manouevres whilst I move out from where I might be parked. Commonplace for a full auto?
Mine also acts the same and I believe it's depending on engine temp and meant to warm the engine faster. Was some talk about it being meant to warm the tranny, but mine doesn't do it if I first warm the engine with the aux htr. I don't think it has anything to do with torque converter lockup, just that the transmission control module is holding on to gears longer than normal warm. I don't like it either, but I do believe the designers know much more than I do.

mean_in_green

>2,000,000m in MB vans
Best OM651 fuel economy figure so far: 31mpg imperial at 55 to 60mph - pretty good considering body size and slush 'box.

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
Seems fair for the size of your van Simon,I think you'll get better latter-on.
Without going into specifcs we have been doing fuel comparison teats on NCV V Transit oddly enough the Ford is as consistent as the Merc on MWB units 29 MPG U.S on a standard Highway way run. 4 cylinders 6 speed manuals.
Richard

mean_in_green

>2,000,000m in MB vans
I'll be pleased if it does improve, although it is already better than I thought it would be. As we know the NCV3 is larger than a T1Ncan in just about every panel van respect and this one is amongst the heaviest kerb side. I know that to have achieved 31mpg out of my T1Ncan would have meant strictly 50mph.

So far so good.

(EDIT: forget mention: 4,000 miles)

Last edited:

Top Bottom