My 2010 Euro5 NCV3 - The King is Dead. Long live the King.

mean_in_green

>2,000,000m in MB vans
Thanks for update...how do you like this suspension seat compared to your old rig? Over all it sounds like your more than happy with the purchase.:thumbup:
This is the third new MB van I've bought. They all felt competent during the first few months - the first two then went on to exceed most reasonable expectations.

I still feel as though I'm getting to know the new one, even after 30,000 miles. Driving the last one was so familiar it was as though all I had to do was get in and think to go somewhere, almost as if the act of driving became subconsciously autonomous. I haven't achieved the same syncronicity in the new one yet, but I think it's possible.

I found the preceeding ISRI suspension seat with its air bladder had superior lumbar support than the current interpretation, although only marginally.

just wondering if you have a tacograph ? or if you're somehow exempt from needing one ?
It does have a tachograph. Currently registered at 3,500kgs so in normal use there isn't an obligation to use the tacho, except when I tow For Hire and Reward because the combination exceeds the 3,500kgs threshold.

ozzy

Yours is Euro5 though isn't it - are you mainly town miles?
Hi simon,

Yes mine is the Euro5 319 auto, i am on 8380 miles at the moment, the fuel comp says that since the van was new it has averaged 20.6 mpg, in 311.26h and 26 mph.
Kitchens and plumbing, is what it it used for, so its parked outside the customers house all day :rolleyes:
had no probs so far although the engine seems to have a cough/misfire at low speed acceleration, not sure what it, must get it looked at :hmmm:

ozzy

Fuel cost less of an issue with your mileage though - just enjoy that V6!
I am not worried on the cost, if i was i would of not get one :thumbup:
On par with my old 316 s/shift, it does 40 to 50 miles less per tank full witch i think is not too bad :rolleyes:
Its a better van than the older one, still think the sprint shift is a better option though :hmmm:

mean_in_green

>2,000,000m in MB vans
It's heavier than my T1Ncan, which I know was ~2,700kgs. Don't know for sure but best guess between that figure and 3,000kgs. I addressed the issues of reduced volume in the cargo space and payload with a trailer (see separate thread). Hook that up and it then has a ~2,500kgs payload capability, enough for my needs.

Last edited:

ozzy

Hi simon,

Yes mine is the Euro5 319 auto, i am on 8380 miles at the moment, the fuel comp says that since the van was new it has averaged 20.6 mpg, in 311.26h and 26 mph.
Kitchens and plumbing, is what it it used for, so its parked outside the customers house all day :rolleyes:
had no probs so far although the engine seems to have a cough/misfire at low speed acceleration, not sure what it, must get it looked at :hmmm:
I had my cough/misfire sorted now, turned out it required a new EGR valve :hmmm: runs as good as gold now :thumbup:

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
It's heavier than my T1Ncan, which I know was ~2,700kgs. Don't know for sure but best guess between that figure and 3,000kgs. I addressed the issues of reduced volume in the cargo space and payload with a trailer (see separate thread). Hook that up and it then has a ~2,500kgs payload capability, enough for my needs.
Simon Here are the latest fuel consumption figures at your end How do you think your 'fairing :thumbup:
View the latest Sprinter fuel consumption data
Richard

mean_in_green

>2,000,000m in MB vans
Interesting reading, and confirms my suggestion earlier in the year of the possibility ~40mpg imperial in a skinny stick shift Euro5 one.

There isn't really a valid direct comparison to mine in there, however I'm at 40,000 miles now so know enough from my own experiences during the year: if I'm towing I may get between 20 and 27mpg. Otherwise I expect to see above 28mpg, and usually see over thirty. You've seen my best so far at 35.1mpg.

I find this phenomenal considering its full fat slush 'box nature. Respect the OM651!

Last edited:

mean_in_green

>2,000,000m in MB vans
I have some warranty issues to report to the forum at 48,000 miles and twelve months old:

An oil leak, allegedly at the sump to crankcase join. No longer a gasket there on OM651, poor sealant join being blamed. Two attempts to fix so far.

I asked for an opinion on a slight whine I thought had developed on coast down (in gear 50 down to 45mph). Originating behind the driver, sounded like prop or diff noise to me. Dealer has assessed this as the centre UJ and has ordered an entire prop assembly under warranty. I'd like to record that the part cost alone is over £800 retail.

Under the headlamp washers are transparent vinyl stickers, presumably to stop the washers wearing the paint. One had become wrinkled and was becoming a water trap. replaced without quibble under warranty.

Last issue to date: a curious problem with right indicators when trailer electrics were connected such that the flash rate doubled, as if a bulb was blown. Except none were. Couldn't replicate that fault on demand but on the strength of a video clip I took when it did decide to misbehave my Trailer Module has been replaced under warranty. Note that the fault occured with a variety of trailers connected, proving issue was on the van.

On the plus side I've received two free services so far, a transmission fluid service and lots of courtesy van use gratis too.

mean_in_green

>2,000,000m in MB vans
Just about to turn 60,000 miles - all good in "the office" and a new record MPG to report. Seems like it will run loaded at 3,500kgs and 60mph in the low thirties MPG (Imperial). Good going indeed for a fat boy. The sump leak appears cured with new parts too, watch this space.

Attachments

Chandlerazman

Simon, I absolutely love that interior. Did you have that made, or was it an option unobtainable in the U.S.? If you had that made, what did it cost? Thanks!

mean_in_green

>2,000,000m in MB vans
Simon, it's part factory, part bought and part much modified.

A deal was done on the upholstery. It should have cost £1,750 to £2,000 according to the quotes I had, but I worked something out with someone... There was a certain amount of personal cost in the form of skinned knuckles too, to get to where it is now. The basic bulkhead kit is aftermarket, normally comes with a glass load space window but I changed it to a solid trimmed one amongst a load of other "improvements" (read: ideas that took ages to make work...). Worth it though, and I love that it's not obvious from the outside.

Current project is fabbing some bespoke aluminium channel curtain rails to take the "chocolate chenille" curtains for the side windows - will post up once done. Next up will be some sleek cabinetry / storage developed from an idea I tried out in the original mean greenie on the left of your screen.

Only a few days after posting what I thought was going to be a tough MPG read out to beat the van absolutely trounced that figure this afternoon returning an incredible 37.2 on the French autoroute. I previously ventured that I thought a manual transmission skinny bodied OM651 "might" see 40MPG. Well I'm redoing that one - such a vehicle would easily do it. Forty five...? If mine does this you've got to wonder haven't you?

Attachments

Last edited:

gary 32

07 ncv3 pv
[QUOTE=mean_in_green;137651
Current project is fabbing some bespoke aluminium channel curtain rails to take the "chocolate chenille" curtains for the side windows - will post up once done. Next up will be some sleek cabinetry / storage developed from an idea I tried out in the original mean greenie on the left of your screen.

Simon, a very nice level of finish.

I have yet to see a Sprinter use aluminum honeycomb panels for cabinets or interior partitions, this material can be veneered or left raw, very few material weigh as little or are as well suited.

My Sprinter interior with all the teenage traffic I have, remains stock with a rubber floor.

Inspiring, thank you. Gary

mean_in_green

>2,000,000m in MB vans
Yes, a local aluminium stock holder who have since ceased trading. If you can't locate another one nearby you should be able to source something similar from a commercial vehicle body building company, the sort of firm who build truck trailers etc. I think those ones came in five metres lengths - one piece lengths are particularly preferred. You can get countersunk rivets too, I put them in the slightly recessed section of the planks.

It works really well. I had aluminium all over the floor in my previous T1N and in the rain the whole deck became dangerously slippery. Even though the planks in this thread are only a few millimetres in height it's enough for skids or pallets to be slid in or out without scratching up the timber deck. I also made a "push me / pull you" bar from some box section and welded a piece at each end a bit like a "T". It's much safer than using a rope or strap to drag with as it doesn't store energy in the same - potentially lethal - way under tension.

You know what? I can't believe this thread is four years old!

Last edited:

mean_in_green

>2,000,000m in MB vans
Have mooted this before: my gut feeling it's really a dually axle with some hefty adaptors and mega offset wheels. It would make sense. A factory SuSi is so uncommon I find it hard to believe the axle is unique.

No one's bought the bits and tried it yet (though investigations are underfoot within Sprinter-Forum...!).

The main benefit is the improved clearance between the rear wheel arches. I could not work with a six wheeled NCV3 because of the reduced width there as compared to a T1N. A factory SuSi has rear wheel wells mid-sized between a dually and the typical four wheeler.

Apart from a cosmetic preference I'm not sure what other reason there is to try and do it?

Top Bottom