My 2010 Euro5 NCV3 - The King is Dead. Long live the King.

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
I'll be pleased if it does improve, although it is already better than I thought it would be. As we know the NCV3 is larger than a T1Ncan in just about every panel van respect and this one is amongst the heaviest kerb side. I know that to have achieved 31mpg out of my T1Ncan would have meant strictly 50mph.

So far so good.
I agree with you! As to the early stage figures of fuel consumption, your indicating
It's clear to see your getting far Superior MPG as opposed to the V6 3500 NAFTA Sprinters.that are in the similar weight varinats.
Looking forward to your comments as the new Mean In Green breaks in.:clapping:
Richard

Chandlerazman

Wow, 31MPG... My best was 20.6 in my ncv3 with minimal electrical material on board. I thought going from 12.8 in my last American van to 20 is awesome. I can't imagine stretching my mileage out to where I fuel it once a week.

talkinghorse43

Wow, 31MPG... My best was 20.6 in my ncv3 with minimal electrical material on board. I thought going from 12.8 in my last American van to 20 is awesome. I can't imagine stretching my mileage out to where I fuel it once a week.
In the past, MIG has reported miles/IMPERIAL gallon. If still the case, his 31 is our 26. Still, very good fuel economy for such a big, heavy & new van.

mean_in_green

>2,000,000m in MB vans
The T1Ncan wide angle mirrors are optically superior/larger than NCV3 (yet they're heated on Euro5). I still prefer the simplicity of the some T1Ncan design details too such as the "curvy" dash and headlight/grille arrangement. The NCV3 side door is one heavy mutha, but still wouldn't have it powered. Having the hazard warning lights switch back in the centre as a better arrangement than T1Ncan "arm over the wheel" practice.

Trivial details though - the Germans tend to raise their game at every opportunity and the NCV3 certainly appears to have had more design time than its predecessor. I don't really get why the bonnet line has to be so high though - there's so much space underneath not even the V6 could fill it. It's almost as though they took a T1Ncan and said "supersize this"!

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
Maybe they are thinking V8 both with turbo and supercharger.:lol:
How is the first lower ratio gear work off road on a slippery surface.
Richard

jdcaples

Not Suitable w/220v Gen
I happen to love the space available under the bonnet. After looking at the cramped quarters of several 5-cyl T1Ns, I enjoy being able to put my hands in almost every area of the engine compartment.

Being able to mount filters in the engine bay on a fabricated bracket, fastened to handy, native, exposed threaded protrusions and bolts made the job much easier and safer than some of the T1N mods I've seen.

-Jon

72chevy4x4

I propose the height of the bonnet is solely for aerodynamics. A lower bonnet line may have made the front less 'slippery'. The fact that I don't have to remove a large cover inside the van to access engine parts as in the Chevy Express is a wonderful benefit of the layout.

mean_in_green

>2,000,000m in MB vans
Further MPG update: now at 20,000 miles.

I'm getting a rock solid 30mpg imperial at 60mph, reasonably loaded with air on.

Will do 33/34 mpg imperial at 50mph, reasonably loaded with air on.

Reminder: it's a slush 'box, extra long cargo body and 4.7 final drive ratio, corrected to ~4.3 at the wheels with SuSi axle.

I reckon short / light / manual tranny / OM651 variant might - just might - see 40mpg.

Last edited:

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
Thats brilliant considering your vans configuration it verified Daimler's claim for fuel efficiency on the magical Harry Potter pottaroos.
2othousand miles, heading for one million .Long live the new King,:bow:
Richard

mean_in_green

>2,000,000m in MB vans
Brief update:

30,000 miles under my belt with this van now - how time flies eh?!

The issue of the ~4.3 final drive is... well, not much of an issue at all as it happens. Now that I've lived with it for a while I find it is actually very pleasant. The van has a relatively high kerbweight and I'm also occasionally towing these days (see other trailer thread). It is surprisingly quick off the line when required.

For the UK, with it's stop-start motorways and crowded trunk roads ~4.3 seems a good compromise in a larger variant. If I'm on a trans-continental blast I am aware of the slight shortness in the gearing, but it doesn't affect me greatly as I rarely drive at more than 65mph anyway. Proportionately it costs significantly more to drive at 80mph than 65mph, with marginal (sometimes nil) effect on journey time. I seem to be 200rpms higher for a given speed in this van than I was in the previous.

Certainly, one cannot argue with the fuel economy 30,000 miles in considering my transmission choice. So, the thing which bugged me most pre-order turns out to have been nothing much to worry about at all - lucky me!

Warranty claim on a rear door latch is being dealt with by supplying dealer, apart from that no other problems to report.

Last edited:

shanemac

Thanks for update...how do you like this suspension seat compared to your old rig? Over all it sounds like your more than happy with the purchase.:thumbup:

knighty

just wondering if you have a tacograph ? or if you're somehow exempt from needing one ?

(for the people who don;t know what I'm talking about, in the uk, and I think most of central europe you need a tacograpm for anything over 3.5 ton, and have to comply with driving restrictions/hours etc...)

I've got a 6.5ton iveco, and I'm tacograph exempt because I use it to collect 'waste' from slaughterhouses (to be made into petfood) I was pretty suprised and overjoied when I found out I could be exempt becaue of this.... I have to use the term 'waste' pretty loosley, but it saves me a hell of a lot of paperwork so it's worth it !

Top Bottom