HONK n hell yeah

Rocksnsalt

There Can Be Only ONE
As Borat would say.... vaaaary naaaice
Did you make an install video? ?
Have that on my Amazon save for later list.

sanomechanic

As Borat would say.... vaaaary naaaice
Did you make an install video? ?
Have that on my Amazon save for later list.
No install video...but it was easy peazy. 3 screws top of grille. Pop grille out. Remove horn. drill hole out a little the mount compressor. Cut horn wiring and connect to compressor. Lay horn behind bumper lip. zip tie in. connect air hose. Install grill. Get loud. Can not even see horn.

JIB

Is there a short delay for the compressed air to hit the horn? What I am looking to know is whether a tap on the horn button will only sound the OEM Beep-Beep horn, then the air horn will kick in?

Jack

sanomechanic

Is there a short delay for the compressed air to hit the horn? What I am looking to know is whether a tap on the horn button will only sound the OEM Beep-Beep horn, then the air horn will kick in?

Jack
Will have to think about how many amps will be drawn using both. You will start blowing fuses or overload the horn relay.
The delay on air horn is very short. If you bump horn button you will get about 40% of the sound

Last edited:

JIB

Will have to think about how many amps will be drawn using both. You will start blowing fuses or overload the horn relay.
The delay is very short. If you bump horn button you will get about 40% of the sound
Are you referring to 40% from the new horn or the OEM?

I will check the current draw and if necessary, would bring in power through a separate relay, but activate both from the same button on the steering wheel.

Thanks,

Jack

sanomechanic

Are you referring to 40% from the new horn or the OEM?

I will check the current draw and if necessary, would bring in power through a separate relay, but activate both from the same button on the steering wheel.

Thanks,

Jack
40% from the new horn. There is a 1-2 second lag to get full air pressure to air horn. So a small bump of horn only fires the compressor off a short time. The air horn comes with a relay set up too. I wired mine direct to OEM harness with out relay set up. No trouble data
I removed OEM horn

Last edited:
  • Thanks
Reactions: JIB

Rocksnsalt

There Can Be Only ONE
Yes. I have an air compressor, 3 gallon tank, and a large horn cluster on the driver side. worth it
Dang. ? Can you post a video or sound byte of it?
I’d actually like mine to sound like a Ship ?
And it’s even battleship(ish) gray.

Last edited:

OffroadHamster

40% from the new horn. There is a 1-2 second lag to get full air pressure to air horn. So a small bump of horn only fires the compressor off a short time. The air horn comes with a relay set up too. I wired mine direct to OEM harness with out relay set up. No trouble data
I removed OEM horn
You shouldnt do that. Melted lead wire or roached OEM relay in your future. Guessing those draw 15-20amps. Stock horns draw like 2 amps......

I run a pair of Stebel compact nautilus air horns, and while they are nowhere near as loud as a compressor/tank driven trumpet, they are loud enough to cause people to jump in their cars. I would put them at about 115dB (140 rated). At 11amps each, they definitely needed a relay to sound as loud as they do. Run on stock relay they were nowhere near as loud.

I would love some brass trumpets with a high flow locomotive valve, would be a good investment for a big heavy van that's regularly going faster than it probably should!

sanomechanic

You shouldnt do that. Melted lead wire or roached OEM relay in your future. Guessing those draw 15-20amps. Stock horns draw like 2 amps......

I run a pair of Stebel compact nautilus air horns, and while they are nowhere near as loud as a compressor/tank driven trumpet, they are loud enough to cause people to jump in their cars. I would put them at about 115dB (140 rated). At 11amps each, they definitely needed a relay to sound as loud as they do. Run on stock relay they were nowhere near as loud.

I would love some brass trumpets with a high flow locomotive valve, would be a good investment for a big heavy van that's regularly going faster than it probably should!
The horn would blow a fuse if too many amps were drawn. Not melt wires or destroy a relay.
A relay would not dictate how load a horn is either. A relay takes a small load to control a big load. Once the contacts are made in the relay voltage is applied. If using your OEM relay causes the horn to not be as loud then there is a resistor. bad ground or a voltage drop in the OEM circuit.

Last edited:

OffroadHamster

You are right to an end. The 15A horn fuse lies between the body control module which the horn relay lives on and the horn. The fuse is there to prevent a ground short from burning the relay or the whole board. If you burn the relay on the board you are looking at $300-$400 to replace.

The two Stebels on my van will bark loud for about a half second and then taper down. Somewhere between the compressors ramping up and them hitting the full 11a each, the relay throttles them (internal resistance as it heats up? I dont know) and thats all I know. But I am sure that the relay on that very expensive BCM is significantly more expensive than a $5 bosch relay which will happily carry 30a indefinitely. The relay on the BCM is probably designed/rated to carry, what 5-10a? It should pop the horn fuse if you pass too much current, but the fuse doesnt seem to be a fast enough pop and the integrated relay is causing some issue, at least for me.

I would much rather run 22a through a 30a $5 relay, than work a relay on a $350 board beyond what it was designed to carry. But thats just me.

Ive seen enough funky shit with chopping into factory wiring and relying on factory relays (or in many cases factory switches which carry the load) to know a $5 relay is cheap insurance.

YMMV but probably unwise to encourage others to not follow best practices when adding substantially larger loads to switched circuits.

OffroadHamster

And before you flame me, I know a thing or two about automotive wiring and electronics. This is my other project which I recently spent dozens of hours chasing with a DMM and subsequently an o'scope when once back in multiple sensors were still misbehaving (thermal expansion short in bus ground :( )

Ive seen aftermarket loads melt wires and blow stock relays shy of popping fuses. My advice is borne of experience, not ignorance. Someone recently told me "good decisions come from experience, and experience comes from bad decisions" Unfortunately, I have a LOT of experience.

All to say....use a relay!! Its cheap, it works, and there is zero risk, versus some unspecified amount of risk between zero and "OMG what did I do?" Should I post pictures of the car I burned to the ground when I was 19?

Last edited:

OffroadHamster

Trippel post! Anyone reading should definitely replace their horn! Its a big heavy van any way you slice it and the Vespa squeaker is woefully inadequate to let others know "I am here and if you do that there is going to be an accident, and right now its looking like you may not survive in that smart fortwo you are driving"

sanomechanic

Trippel post! Anyone reading should definitely replace their horn! Its a big heavy van any way you slice it and the Vespa squeaker is woefully inadequate to let others know "I am here and if you do that there is going to be an accident, and right now its looking like you may not survive in that smart fortwo you are driving"
I call them not so smart cars. What rocket scientist thought a 3 lug wheel set up was good idea?

Top Bottom