espar with timer

erldrums

2006 tin long tall 2500
hey guy's
just want to confirm espar on 7 day timer ,i should get blower motor coming on lowest setting correct?..
mine appears to not be blowing at all?..working fine..runs and heats, just no "blow" from vents..
which reminds me i did see a heater stage one fault a while ago?..but it works fine on all settings when ig on?..
cheers
erl

erldrums

2006 tin long tall 2500
anyone with a factory, 7 day timer set up care to pop out and turn their espar on , tell me if they are getting any blown heat through the vents at all,..without engine running
thanks

VinceP

2005 158" High Roof Pass.
Hi
I have the 7-day timer. The dash fan will come on blower speed 1 even if the blower switch is at 0. Then you can increase the fan speed by turning the switch to higher fan speed.
In your case, If the blower fan doesn't come on, it could be your blower motor resistor, since the signal will be sent to turn the fan on at speed 1 but the resistor doesn't do its job preventing the blower to work. Is your blower fan working on all 4 speed with regular heater when the van is running?

erldrums

2006 tin long tall 2500
yep, all 4 levels when ignition is on, thats the funky thing..
I seemed to remember it blowing through the vents last winter..?

erldrums

2006 tin long tall 2500
the espar ecu is starting the aux water pump, blower motor correctly, im not sure if it tells the heater motor to turn on?..probably eh?,,maybe its on the fritz?..i just got a used blower from vanski, my old one was starting then dying after 15 mins..but he mentioned it could be an ecu problem..??

erldrums

2006 tin long tall 2500
i just tried the rest function, (i keep forgetting about it), works exactly as mentioned by Vince above, low speed at 0/1 on switch, faster on speed 3 and 4...so...
its looking like a wiring or signal problem from the espar?..any more thoughts anyone?
cheers

VinceP

That's weird, because my understanding of the circuit is that the Espar uses the REST function of the ATC when using the 7-day timer, so it should behave the same as when you push the REST button. It's really weird.... Maybe other experts can chime in?

That's weird, because my understanding of the circuit is that the Espar uses the REST function of the ATC when using the 7-day timer,
:idunno:

My 2006 has both the H86 with HZ9.

H86 TIMER FOR HEATER BOOSTER
HH9 SEMI-AUTOMATICALLY CONTROLLED TEMPMATIC A/C
HZ9 HEATER BOOSTER, DIESEL

The 2004 has HZ9 only. (Engine running diesel fired heater)

REST is independent from any diesel fired heater. Even with an Aux Heater REST could be an option.

His REST option may be operating the fan. The H86 timer may have a separate problem as to no fan operation. My recollection is that the H86 timer does have the ability to operate the cabin fan at multiple speeds. Not just low.

vic

vanski

If it’s winter, I’m probably skiing..
If the furnace is starting up fine it must be something in the second plug wiring. I’d remove the plastic trim around the shifter and locate the wire from that plug running into the ATC to see if you’re getting 12v. Alternatively, and this is probably the better approach, start at the furnace. But... you can’t just unplug that plug and test as the d5ws control unit will error out when it doesn’t see that circuit. Which brings us to another point... if it’s starting up then it sees the circuit. So perhaps it’s the ATC unit itself?

Nautamaran

2004 140” HRC 2500 (Crewed)
My 7-day timer was added aftermarket by prev owner, and has a relay added to drive the fan and aux pump (via the REST circuits... botching up the ATC’s aux pump feed ?)

I’d check your fuse/relay list under the driver’s seat for something related - you may have a faulty relay?

-dave

erldrums

2006 tin long tall 2500
well ,went and fired it up, the fan comes on for about a minute or two as the heater starts up..then it stops..
jiggled all the wiring and fuses , can't get it to spinagain after that... so, doesnt look like wiring...relay you say eh?...not sure if it has its own?...

Nautamaran

2004 140” HRC 2500 (Crewed)
Maybe check relay #3 “Auxiliary heat exchanger” ??

(perhaps swap it with the horn relay - if it’s the same part - and see if your horn suddenly goes intermittent?)

I’m just guessing, though...

-dave

erldrums

2006 tin long tall 2500
today's findings..changed relay, no difference
espar seems to "stutter".for want of a better word, at start up
sequence:
hit timer start, heater spins fan up for 10 second check, truck fan starts up,
dosing pump starts after 90 seconds or so, good, then, what i observed was espar seems to fire on slow fan speed, stutter , go higher speed, then go to full speed, its at this point van fan stops.
water pump and heater run on fine...
let it run for 30 minutes, at that point heater goes down to med power, water is nice and hot..because all heat is going through motor and not being sent cab interior..
but no jiggling of wires ,pushing rest button etc will start van fan.
turn on ign, fan blows on all settings, ign off, heater runs on fine, but truck fan stops immediately
so it seems signal to truck fan is getting interupeted by espar ecu, or atc..does that make any sense to anyone?.
quickest way would be to swap ecu, but i dont have a spare d5wS..anyone got one for sale??..I know vanski does (hey Chris) but he needs it.
thanks for looking guy's
Erl

VinceP

Really weird. At least we know that the signal is sent to the fan first. Why it is interrupted? That's weird. My bet is the Espar ECU interrupts the signal for an unknown reason. I don't know what it could be. My startup sequence is the same as yours. but with the Espar running with the timer/engine off, i have 3 speeds of fan if i turn the fan switch, as Vic said.

erldrums

2006 tin long tall 2500
yep, if memory serves from last winter thats what i used to have..engine off, running on timer, 3 speeds.
turn the ign on, i get the three speeds....
but the stutter at first fire up is new, and the fan definatley stops as soon as espar hits full speed..it's like there is too much power being drawn and it shuts the fan down?...but it doesn't come back up when the espar drops to medium power after 30 min or so..?

erldrums

2006 tin long tall 2500
just to put this to bed..
I used Vic's... "what was the last thing you did to it?"..philosophy.,,,.and what i did do was, connect my diagnostic wire going to the 7 day timer,(which has been in place for donkey's) to the)blue/red) wire going to the van wiring(obd socket), thinking i could use either the autel/solus at the obd, or see any codes on the timer...(which i could 31 & 54 ...why i got a used blower of vanski)
Well, separated them and left the one going to the obd connected, and all back to normal, 3 ranges of fan on the timed function!
Wiring lads out there can figure that one, cos i can't!
going to reconnect the wire to just the timer tomorrow, see what happens..should be fine , been that way for 3 years..
It just means swapping a bullit conector depending on whether i want use the obd or the timer for codes.

Top Bottom