Ambo Air Conditioning

Huski

Hi,
Hopefully someone can help.
AC compressor died so replaced that and new gas. But the AC is not switching on at all - fans all work fine at front as well as the fan on the ac at the rear - sounds like its all normal. Auto elect has bypassed the wiring to check if the system works and the ac works ok - blows out nice and cold, but has said that there is otherwise no power going to the compressor to tell it to switch on and they have no idea (without probably needing to spend countless hours trying to work out the wiring) on why it is not delivering power.

Anyone know what to look for here and where - anything - really need it working :)

Ambo is a 2006 build sprinter, 2007 conversion for ambo - with front and rear conditioning - all using the one compressor.

Cheers - Chris

Eric Experience

Chris.
Rather confusing question, if it was running and died, you decided the compressor was faulty so why would the wiring be broken? is the replacement compressor the same type? Eric

Huski

No idea why aircon is not engaging. A year or so ago, aircon was slowly losing its coolth. Thought it needed to have new refrigerant but never got around to it.

Compressor needed changing as it was Kaput when at mechanics a few weeks ago - iron filings all over the place. Replaced with the same type aftermarket (as far as I know), regassed - all good, but weird that the auto elec said when all the switches are on - which appear to working fine, there is no power going to the compressor. Fans all work fine, just the compressor clutch not kicking in.

Crisp-Air is listed on the dash module so tried contacting them but out of business since 2013. Found a booklet in the glove box which shows the wiring schematics -means nothing to me thought. If I had of found it before I went to auto elec it might have helped. Perhaps a hidden fuse or something - no idea.

Eric Experience

chris.
Best to do your own servicing,going to a mechanic is just throwing money away. There are things to check, is there 12 volts on the wire to the clutch? If you run a wire directly to the clutch does it engage? There are two types of clutches, one has the clutch at the front and the other has the clutch at the rear,they are not interchangeable. Eric.

Huski

Eric - the auto elec said no power going to the clutch at all. They bypassed everything and ran directly to the clutch and it does engage and works fine.

Eric Experience

Chris.
That leaves us with the question about the compressor compatibility, Do you have the old compressor? If yes can you post a picture of the unit? Eric.

jaahn

Hi :rolleyes:
Well after Chris looking,,, looking,,,, looking,,,, for the bl**dy control box for a while with no result, he came to where I am staying(temporary) and we and the guy next door took to the van seriously to find it. After some time looking in and under and identifying other control boxes, we found it tucked just under the drivers seat above the standard electrical fittings. Easily seen after you completely remove the seat :mad::thumbup:

As I suggested there were a couple of fuses blown in there and after fitting new ones the a/c just worked as it should, clutch engaged etc. Possibly only the clutch fuse was necessary and the others were not involved but what the heck :nonono: I will get some picture on later for future reference.

The guy next door, ex Telstra tecko, was astonished by the complexity of the electrics in the van, tucked in every nook and cranny. Bundles of cables tied into flexible conduit and coming and going everywhere. But a lot of you know all that anyway. Good luck stripping out all that lot. I would not consider it time well spent for me these days, but to each their own. :cool:
Jaahn

Last edited:

Top Bottom