Wrap entrance grab handle with carbon fiber

RV2019

2017 Wonder MB
I have been wanting to do this for quite some time and just got the carbon fiber. Planning to do jus the outside half. Has anyone done this? Since the handle is curved, what are the tricks to get it covered right?

RV2019

2017 Wonder MB
Well, the handle is painted and gets scratched easily. It is to the left of the door and I think it is due to rings (wedding rings in our case). It just doesn't look good.

cbaarch

2016 Unity MB
I just got a carbon fiber monopod for a camera. It rubbed against an alum piece when I used it for the first time. The aluminum left a mark on the carbon fiber and a scratch. Good idea to check out if what you plan on doing will do the same.

RV2019

2017 Wonder MB
I'm hoping that even if it does scratch a little that the pattern of the carbon fiber will hide it. It's got to be better than the dark marks left behind when the current paint is scratched. Not sure when I'll get around to doing it. May be next month.

RV2019

2017 Wonder MB
WOW!! Mine isn't that bad but I'd like to cover it before it gets that way. For such an expensive RV, looks like it could be at least satin chrome or brushed nickel to be more durable.

rollerbearing

Consider getting it powder coated. The plastic may hold up better than the paint on it now. I'm sure they shoot enough black that you can get it thrown in with another job and not have to pay a lot for the gun cleaning and powder switch.

Carbon fiber with epoxy resin?

I would be concerned that it will be difficult to get a smooth professional looking result with the covering.

... For such an expensive RV, looks like it could be at least satin chrome or brushed nickel to be more durable.
My guess would be that it is a standard size for RV's. Replacement with another better handle might be the best solution.

This rubberized black handle will coordinate with the adjacent black lock set. Q/A indicates approx. 7 1/2" hole centers.

:2cents: vic

Last edited:

RV2019

2017 Wonder MB
The handle has a light in the back half. The carbon fiber is a carbon fiber look vinyl. It has many uses. Since the handle is a 2 piece, a front black half may not look good and you don't have to take the whole thing off to get the front half off. There is a screw in the back.

autostaretx

Erratic Member
Tool Dip ... coat it in rubber. (as a first quick fix)

...and then i'd look around for stainless satin handles that might fit the bolt pattern.

Heck ... even chromed bathroom fixtures of a reasonable shape
(epoxy plugs in the end with embedded threaded inserts to accept the nuts or provide studs)

That is amazingly ugly...

--dick

The handle has a light in the back half. The carbon fiber is a carbon fiber look vinyl. It has many uses. ...
Vinyl? If it doesn't come out looking good, or deteriorates it can be removed to start new.

I suggest HH66 cement and applying a bit of heat with a blow dryer or low setting heat gun to help the vinyl conform to the shape.

I've had good success using vinyl fabric and HH66 cement for various repairs. I'm looking forward to the after pictures.

:cheers: vic

blue

2011 LTV Unity CB
I have been envious of some of the features of newer Unitys. Not so much with the entrance grab handle though. The glass area with the LTV initials is a light. Ignore the reflected greenery.
Unity Grab Handle.jpg

RV2019

2017 Wonder MB
I definitely like ours over that one. A middle that might break, exposed screws & overall style. Doesn't look appropriate for >$100K RV.

SSTraveler

2014 LTV Unity Murphy Bed
I have been envious of some of the features of newer Unitys. Not so much with the entrance grab handle though. The glass area with the LTV initials is a light. Ignore the reflected greenery.
Yours looks virtually brand new, given that it's 9 years old. Mine is just like yours but no LTV letters on it. I love the look of my handle as it is so durable and lighted. Just one of the few things on my Unity that doesn't have to be repaired, replaced or modified!

Top Bottom