Too many categories on this site, even the mods are confused

VanGoSki

I need to vent a little here.

It is my observation that the number of categories is a real problem on this site. Half the threads in NCV3 for example are also applicable to VS30 and vice versa. They probably overlap T1N for all I know as well, although I don't venture in there. And then you have the 4x4 subforums with no discipline of limiting those discussions to 4x4 issues. Likewise many thread in the various model forums are about upfitting, and of course there's a separate category for that too. Build threads are scattered all over the place with little rhyme or reason. I was pretty darn confused when I first looked at this site and didn't even know anything about the model numbers. Which leads me to an example of why I say even the mods are confused.

I recently posted a thread in the Sprinter section about a situation I was having with a dealer taking what I considered to be way too long to fix a few minor problems. Yes, the van was a VS30. However, nothing in my post was in any way specific to the VS30. I wanted visibility of everyone who's ever dealt with dealer service to see if my problem resonated with them and if they had advice. In that spirit, I cannot imagine how the moderator thought it would be useful to move my post to VS30. This is the second time I've had a post of mine moved for what I feel was an erroneous reason and it's starting to piss me off. BTW, my van is a 4x4. So if you're really so offended that I posted a generic topic about my VS30 4x4 in Sprinters, then you should have put it in the VS30 4x4 area. Putting into the less specific VS30 area is at least as wrong as me putting into the Sprinter area. It's ridiculous. I ask that you put my post back in the Sprinter forum and please think twice before moving my posts because apparently I'm paying a little closer attention to my categories than you are. Or feel free to explain why the VS30 is a better place for it if you disagree. Here's the post. https://sprinter-source.com/forums/index.php?threads/91739/

Thank you.

borabora

I wholeheartedly agree with you from a poster's perspective.
From a reader's perspective, which unfortunately doesn't solve your problem, I have started to only browse the "New posts" category and not the individual forums anymore.
The best solution would be software-based so that duplicate postings are allowed but hidden from the reader (using tags). But that's out of the control of the forum itself. I have spent time on other forums and none other has so aggressively enforced the rules against duplicates and "proper categorization." But I believe the moderators are volunteers and I appreciate their work even if I don't always agree with policies.

autostaretx

Erratic Member
Ya (i.e. the forum gods) just can't win ...
Unfortunately the moderators have limited control over posters, and no control over readers.

I just use the New Posts approach ... which has the plus of showing me all of the sub-categories.
From those i pick-and-choose somewhat to dig into threads that might affect me, that i might be able to contribute to, or that simply sound like "MB family design consequences" (which may harken forward or backwards through the models).
I usually *don't* read posts about RV macerators or how to dump black water, but i do drop into some refrigerator discussions.

I appreciate the current "fragmented" nature of the forum, since it does give some additional hints about the posts' interest level for me.
If the poster provides a useful subject (putting "Dealer" into the title) will have me read almost and category for the gory details.

Duplicated threads (i.e. same initial posting in two places) are a real problem .. they cause "mis-aligned parallel" solution streams, which may contradict each other and/or cause loss-of-context when some additional symptoms only appear in one of the threads. It is correct that having duplicates may get "more eyeballs" seeing the original issues (due to uncontrolled readers keeping their focus too narrow) .. but it's down hill from there. The original poster may be (is?) less-than-meticulous about posting a "how we fix it!" message to all of the duplicates.

I followed VanGoSki's thread, irrespective of where it appeared. If some other readers didn't bother to notice it, well ... that's a consequence of their choice of pre-filtering. (it's also indicative of how i spend far too much time reading the forum). The generic Sprinter Talk forum gets quite polluted with such a hodge-podge of uncategorized topics that frequently require a cycle or two of "what model year?" (etc) before their issues can even reasonably begin to be discussed. In many ways it's among the least profitable threads to keep current in.

But that's just me...

--dick :popcorn:

OrioN

2008 2500 170" EXT

It is my observation that the number of categories is a real problem on this site. Half the threads in NCV3 for example are also applicable to VS30 and vice versa. They probably overlap T1N for all I know as well, although I don't venture in there. And then you have the 4x4 subforums with no discipline of limiting those discussions to 4x4 issues. Likewise many thread in the various model forums are about upfitting, and of course there's a separate category for that too. Build threads are scattered all over the place with little rhyme or reason. I was pretty darn confused when I first looked at this site and didn't even know anything about the model numbers. Which leads me to an example of why I say even the mods are confused.

I recently posted a thread in the Sprinter section about a situation I was having with a dealer taking what I considered to be way too long to fix a few minor problems. Yes, the van was a VS30. However, nothing in my post was in any way specific to the VS30. I wanted visibility of everyone who's ever dealt with dealer service to see if my problem resonated with them and if they had advice. In that spirit, I cannot imagine how the moderator thought it would be useful to move my post to VS30. This is the second time I've had a post of mine moved for what I feel was an erroneous reason and it's starting to piss me off. BTW, my van is a 4x4. So if you're really so offended that I posted a generic topic about my VS30 4x4 in Sprinters, then you should have put it in the VS30 4x4 area. Putting into the less specific VS30 area is at least as wrong as me putting into the Sprinter area. It's ridiculous. I ask that you put my post back in the Sprinter forum and please think twice before moving my posts because apparently I'm paying a little closer attention to my categories than you are. Or feel free to explain why the VS30 is a better place for it if you disagree. Here's the post. https://sprinter-source.com/forums/index.php?threads/91739/

Thank you.
Are you volunteering as Moderator, and join the ranks of the other 2.25?

OrioN

2008 2500 170" EXT
He who criticizes cookie IS cookie... Lol
I made the mistake of criticizing a girlfriend on how she was cleaning the dishes. She said she would not do and never did them again......

....years later, she admitted to setting me up.

Last edited:

Aqua Puttana

Poly - Thread Finder
There's just so much information contained in this forum now...
MB doesn't help by adding/changing models and options based upon their whims.

... and it's starting to piss me off.
A P.M requesting that a thread gets moved back is generally all that is required.

There are many threads which get posted in what I consider the wrong places. I move them to where it seems best. The moves are not cast in stone.

There are many posts which might apply to many or even all models. If everything were just to be left in Sprinter Talk that can be a problem too.

BTW, my van is a 4x4. ...
Thanks, but I likely won't remember that. I don't even attempt to remember who owns what.

Nobody should feel that they can't request a thread be left or moved back to a certain area. That said, it could be moved again if it resurfaces at some later time because my logic that was applied for moving it the first time likely hasn't changed.

:cheers: vic

johnplyler

Thank you.
Thanks for stating my feeling too!

avanti

2014 GWV Legend 3500 I4
I just use the New Posts approach ... which has the plus of showing me all of the sub-categories.
From those i pick-and-choose somewhat to dig into threads that might affect me,
That is my approach as well. It is pretty painful, though, since one has to filter through each irrelevant thread every time somebody posts in it. As I have whined many times, the list software really, really needs a "ignore thread" option (analogous to the current and essential "ignore user" feature). If we had THAT, then one could use "New Posts" to see each thread once, cancelling the ones that are not relevant. I do realize that this a request for the list software authors, not the mods. The new software has so many nice new features. I was bummed that they missed this one.

Mike DZ

2016 View 24V (2015 3500)
As Avanti and Autostartex have said - the "New Post" approach is how I read. I use the search (advanced) when I am looking for something and do not drill down in a sub forum for info. The sub forums are important information to me as tags to let me know type of vehicle etc. That info, along with the title, helps me select what to read,either in search or "new posts".

I get that lots of subforums without writers disciplining their use is frustrating, but this is the internet, so disciplined input is not likely, even on this esteemed forum.

Top Bottom