Sprinter diagnostics is here!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nate

Do those smaller scanners like actron, let us do brake work on other cars at home?:thinking:
I'm not sure if they do, but I would suspect not. I have vehicle specific software for my VW that lets me do full diagnostics on the car and the DAD that Dr. A is supplying sounds very similar.

abittenbinder

Doktor A (864-623-9110)
Hoppingmad;77259 You've aroused my curiosity- does it mention anywhere on lump of hardware- made in ?:idunno:[/QUOTE said:
The German made Sprinter specific Multiplex cables have been stripped of all labels (copyright laws) and a 12V only label has been affixed to the OBDII connector. Doktor A

I'm not sure if they do, but I would suspect not. I have vehicle specific software for my VW that lets me do full diagnostics on the car and the DAD that Dr. A is supplying sounds very similar.
Interesting. Is it possible the DAD unit will work for other than the T1N with just a different program CD? That could increase it's use to many owners. This is just a question. It is not based upon anything other than Nate's post. AP/vic

abittenbinder

Doktor A (864-623-9110)
A reminder for our overseas group members-

The DAD system will work with Mercedes-Benz Sprinters from 1998-2005 for Europe, South America, Asia, Africa, and Australia, but a 14-Pin adapter cable is necessary for some of these models.

For example, Sprintshift (SSG) is fully supported.

Doktor A

Last edited:

abittenbinder

Doktor A (864-623-9110)
Interesting. Is it possible the DAD unit will work for other than the T1N with just a different program CD? That could increase it's use to many owners. This is just a question. It is not based upon anything other than Nate's post. AP/vic

I have unconfirmed reports that it may be of some diagnostic value on various 1996-'05 Mercedes Benz automobiles. Spark ignition MBenz automobiles at that.

The DAD will diagnose Rest of World, spark ignition Sprinters, as well as CDI versions. It features Euro Sprinter menus as well as NAFTA Sprinter menus.

You are welcome to test it on your neighbors V8 gasoline ML series. Experimentation is encouraged.

Doktor A

abittenbinder

Doktor A (864-623-9110)
The first batch of DADs have been shipped.

The next group is being tested, packed and should ship within the next 7 days.

Current waiting time for group members just joining the list is roughly 6 weeks. Supply of DAD's is not expected to be a problem, yet. Doktor A

abittenbinder

Doktor A (864-623-9110)
The second batch of DADs have shipped today. The supply of German made, Sprinter specific, surplus multiplex cables is holding up. Lots of good looking cables are coming in.

I will notify everyone on the priority waiting list, in turn. as their names come up for paypal payment.

Still room on the waiting list for newcomers.

Doktor A

Last edited:

RealityCramp

Email Sent! This is really a relief. Been fighting an intermittent ECU problem with the WIF and Boost sensor (hmmm on the same circuit...). Maybe this will finally solve it!

abittenbinder

Doktor A (864-623-9110)
Email Sent! This is really a relief. Been fighting an intermittent ECU problem with the WIF and Boost sensor (hmmm on the same circuit...). Maybe this will finally solve it!
The DAD will be a valuable tool.

BTW, The WIF sensor receives battery voltage supply from the ECM. The Boost Pressure sensor receives a 5V reference from the ECM. Both receive their ground from the ECM. Doktor A

RealityCramp

That is what I noticed looking at the schematic. Sometimes WIF comes on and puts the van in limp home mode. Wierd thing is no water is present and it only comes on if I race the engine to 3000rpm or drive it a little aggressively. After a while it stops happening for a couple of months. I certainly have a goofy problem as the van runs perfectly. Of the three, which is the most problematic part?

abittenbinder

Doktor A (864-623-9110)
By now everyone should be aware of difficulties with some of the Keyspan USB adapters. This ONLY applies to laptops lacking a 9-pin serial port (RS-232).

Some (not all)group members who have already received their DAD, report problems with these Keyspan adapters. They were approved for this application but Keyspan has complicated matters.

If you have already ordered and received a Keyspan you may want to see if it works when your DAD arrives. Otherwise, I would recommend returning it and replacing with a PCMCIA card/serial port adapter. These are also available on Amazon.com.

I'm very sorry for any inconvenience and additional shipping expenses this unfortunate USB adapter issue may have caused. Doktor A

abittenbinder

Doktor A (864-623-9110)
The USB serial adapters are spooky at best. The problem is that RS-232 is inherently a 12 volt signal and the USB adapters are 5 volt. I carry 6 different ones with me because you never know which one will work for a given application. I have had the best luck with the Keyspan USA-19HS and Belkin F5U409.:idunno:
How right you were. I hope the PCMCIA card/serial port adapters will prove to be 'the right stuff'. Doktor A

Hoppingmad

That is what I noticed looking at the schematic. Sometimes WIF comes on and puts the van in limp home mode. Wierd thing is no water is present and it only comes on if I race the engine to 3000rpm or drive it a little aggressively. After a while it stops happening for a couple of months. I certainly have a goofy problem as the van runs perfectly. Of the three, which is the most problematic part?
Cross my fingers I haven't experienced LHM yet. When it does occur, especially in cases where it may be false like this. How does 1 clear it to drive home the next 300 miles. Assumeing you can!

GPSTrans1

gpstrans1
One of my most painful frustrations as Doktor A, is fielding those desperate phone calls from disabled or limp home mode crippled Sprinter owners, stranded out in the middle of nowhere. Or WORSE, stranded at the DEALERSHIP.

Stranded without accurate, on-site, quality diagnostic data. Frustration for me, panic for the owner.

As Doktor A, I can provide basic diagnostic phone advice but I just know that IF I could be there, in person, with my pearl handled DRBIII diagnostic tool in holster, I could rescue them and then ride off into the sunset.

Well, my dream, and yours, is now possible. And best of all, you will likely be able to rescue yourself. Your wife will utter those magic words you've long fantasized hearing- "My Hero".

Until now, Sprinter diagnostics was essentially an ALL OR NOTHING proposition.

For instance, as a Sprinter specific diagnostic tool, on a scale of 1 to 10, most generic scan tools (including the, useful as an auxiliary Gauge, ScanGaugeII), rate only a measly 1. The factory DRBIII deserves a 10. The $10,000 Snap-On Modis is perhaps a 5 and that's generous.

Now EVERY Sprinter owner can own an affordable Sprinter specific tool that rates a solid 7.

What is this timely Godsend to merely mortal Sprinter owners?

This is a laptop based software with a German made, Sprinter specific, multiplex cable/black box which was deployed in maintenance depots of one of the worlds largest corporations.

They paid $2000 a piece for these Sprinter diagnostic packages. They recently ordered a system which covers newer vehicles in their fleet. These are the contractual trade-ins. Technically, surplus. AFFORDABLE surplus. Expect some scratches and scars on the black boxes but they are guaranteed to be fully functional. Factory service is no longer available from Germany but I will try to keep some as emergency spares, if needed.

Hand sorted, tested, and with new simplified software on a new CD for ('02-'06 ONLY) Sprinter owners and shops, it is available to Sprinter-forum group members first, exclusively!, for a limited time and in limited quantities.

I affectionately call it DAD (Doktor A Diagnostician). The software writer officially named it Super Sprinter Diagnostic System. You can call it what you like but you'll agree it's an amazing breakthrough in price and Sprinter information access.

The DAD can quick scan AND communicate with EVERY module in your Sprinter.

Engine module, Transmission module, Shifter module, ABS/ESP module, SKREEM (immobilizer) module, Climate Control module, Instrument Cluster, Heater booster/Aux Heater, Central Timer module (remote door locks), Airbag/seat belt module and more.

It provides FACTORY fault codes WITH DESCRIPTION and in most cases snap-shot data showing various parameters at fault set-time. None of that generic "look it up on a long list" scheisse!

It provides real time sensor outputs.

It provides system tests for diagnostic work YOU can perform from the comfort of your cab. Imagine performing a compression test or testing your injectors while sipping coffee in the drivers seat.

Depending on 612/647 version, it can even help flush brakes.

Coding of replacement injectors.

Module replacement.

I can list pages of features but it thankfully includes a complete 137 page users manual on the CD in pdf format. A users manual full of Sprinter information found nowhere else.

Also included are simple, written software installation instructions and installation software and aids on the CD.

You will need a laptop. The Sprinter black box/cable requires a laptop connection to a 9 pin Serial port (RS-232). Most professional automotive diagnostics requires this port. If you don't have this serial port you can use a USB adapter, the IT guru has tested and approved one in particular, the Keyspan USA-19HS. I can provide these at a deep discount if you need one. Let me know when ordering your DAD.

The Sprinter end of this cable is a standardized OBDII connector that will connect to your Sprinter's Data Link Connector (DLC), located above the hood release lever.

The system was designed to be used with Windows XP, but the IT guru tells me it will work with most others, both older (Windows 2000, and 98) and the newer Vista and Windows 7 (but NOT in their virtual XP mode).

The Bottom Line?

If I may do my Billy Mays imitation, NOT $1000. NOT $800. NOT $600, not even $500.

The special, group, inner circle, price is $299 plus shipping and insurance.

This system will work on ALL WORLD WIDE SPRINTER models (pre-'07). Overseas Sprinter owners can obtain a inexpensive OBDII to MBenz circular socket diagnostic adapter. The Snap-on or Sun branded adapter cables are available in Europe at a VERY reasonable price.,

To order, please e-mail me at abittenbinder@yahoo.com and I will provide payment total and payment instructions. Please be patient. I will respond within a day or two.

Please include your Sprinter's model year and let me know if you want a Paypal invoice and grand total or if you need my mailing address and grand total for money order payment.

Sorry, I am not able to process credit cards. Paypal or Postal Money Orders, only.

Also, please let me know if you want me to include the Keyspan USB adapter.

RV owners-this tool covers all 5 cylinder (OM612 and OM647) Sprinters (and for you Euro owners, I believe the OM611 4 cylinder as well). Your '07 model year Sprinter RV may be on a '06 chassis/drivetrain with the 5 cyl engine.

Payment via PAYPAL or US Postal Money Order only, please. Canadians-your postal system offers a US export money order paid in US Dollars, which is acceptable but Paypal is always preferred.

All shipping (domestic, Canadian and international) will be via affordable USPS priority mail w/insurance.

Limit, one per customer, and I reserve right to refuse sale to owners and technicians in my immediate geographic area. A man has to eat. DAD is that good.

I envision a group within our group of owners sharing info on application and helping others with questions related to laptop use and installation questions, etc. I also envision owners sharing their system tests data and other Sprinter related DAD info.

I am not an IT engineer, my expertise is with the vehicle. Please do not ask me IT related questions.

Keep the Sprinter Faith and Happy New Year!

Doktor A
:rad:

GPSTrans1

gpstrans1
I just can't express myself on how helpfull this tool we'll benifit everyone that owns or operates. a 2002-2006 Tn1 sprinter. Thanks docktor A

RealityCramp

Cross my fingers I haven't experienced LHM yet. When it does occur, especially in cases where it may be false like this. How does 1 clear it to drive home the next 300 miles. Assumeing you can!
For me, I simply restart and try not run up the rpm. After a couple of short trips I can drive normal again. Seems to occur sometimes around a change in weather so a cracked board or connection is my suspicion.

abittenbinder

Doktor A (864-623-9110)
If the cause of the LHM involves unique operating conditions that trigger the code only under very specific conditions (load, rpm, boost pressure, throttle position, etc.), you can simply pull over, shut off key and restart. The LHM will disappear IF the offending parameters that caused it, are not present at restart. It will not return until the causation parameters repeat. LHM fault code(s) will be set which can later be interpreted by the DAD.

Permanent LHM conditions (those not reset by ign key off/on cyle) can be diagnosed with the DAD and after repair, can be reset with the DAD. Doktor A

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom