Replace flex solar panels with traditional panels

ssalaria

2020 Serenity
Hello all.
I have flex panels on my 2020 Serenity. I have been reading up and it seems like they have a life span of 2 years and then you really start to have issues with the panels and the damage they cause to the roof. I want to 1). stop the damage asap (can this be done by unplugging them somehow or turn something off? 2). see if there is a way to just replace the panels while leaving everything same (unplug and mount and hook up compatible panels) 3). If 2 is not possible think through the design and do it properly. And I see several folks have done the upgrade.

The immediate need is to stop the madness aka stop the roof damage from the current stock flex panels. I can't believe TEEE would install these cheap/not considered for permanent use panels on their LTV's.

I hope someone can provide some direction.

Thank you in advance.

cbaarch

2016 Unity MB
I have a 2016 Unity MB with 2 x 100W flex panels. I have the original build sheet so not after market install.
They are still working just fine and no damage to my roof. I checked a few days ago after getting about 4 inches of snow; that did not melt for a numbers of days. The Battery monitor for the the Interstate Lead Acids 6V batteries were showing 13.4V when I checked after the snow was gone and we had a few sunny days. Reading each 6V battery with a multi meter each was over the 6V.
I also climbed on the roof to clean them. Visual inspection of the sealant around the panel did not show any distress and no visible crack in any of the cells.
What I have been reading on the Unity forum on the upgrades most of them is because they wanted more Watts and were changing to LI batteries and if you are upgrading the other options are more efficient and often not compatible with the flex panels and controllers. I have not read about any damage to the roof after the flex panels being removed and in some instances there was discussions about leaving them in place and installing the frame above the flex panels.

SSTraveler

2014 LTV Unity Murphy Bed
You must not be really looking, there are bunches of posts on the Unity forum about flex panels causing roof damage and pictures to boot! There are lots of Youtube videos on Leisure Unity solar panel upgrades that showcase the damage flex panels have caused to the roofs of Leisure Travel Vans! It's true if you cover over the flex panels with glass solar panels the damage will stop because when solar panels are covered they no longer generate power and produces heat, which is the primary reason for the LTV roof damage. I applaud Ssalaria for being proactive to take action to protect his new motorhome and investment. Ssalaria just cover your panels with dark material, like black garbage bags, until you can replace them with glass panels. I'm guessing in just a year you haven't got any damage yet, maybe some discoloration, but not actual damage. Go over to the Unity section of the forum and you'll find lots of threads of members showcasing their installations that you can easily follow for your upgrade.

Last edited:

ssalaria

2020 Serenity
That is really good news for you. I live in North East and although its not FL/Southern states, I would rather error on the side of caution vs. lucky. If you replace like for like (or want to go up to 400W solar), from what I understand, you can just replace the flex with rigid panels and that's all you will have to do. If you DIY, and there are plenty of LTV owners here who have done wonders with solar and super helpful, its a pretty cheap swap and then you don't have to worry about it at all.

I propped one of the flex panels off half way starting from rear and I did not see any discoloration or damage. But then again I have a fairly new coach. Phase 1 of my solar project was to cover the flex panels so they don't charge aka get hot. I took some black garbage bags, doubled them to block all sun till I figure out what I want to do. Phase 1 complete. Roof is not something I want to compromise on or leave it to luck, for it will end up not in my favor. Pics attached to reference. Took me an hour to do.

Attachments

KSbuffalo

I have a 2017 and the solar panels are still working fine. Guess I got lucky. But, I do keep the coach under a roof when not using the it which may be saving my veggie bacon. Now, if I could just get my Dometic refrigerator to keep a safe temperature. I have thrown away more food than I've eaten do to the poor performance of the fridge. LTV has been of NO HELP since day one of my ownership (I bought it new) regarding this POS cooler.

Cheers to all.

TampaSteve

2018/2019 Unity CB
My coach was 2 years old and lightly used when I removed my flex panels. No damage. I posted pictures of it in my build here: https://avoidpitfalls.com/rv-600-watt-solar-install/ I live in the south but its stored under roof. They are easy to remove and indeed plug and play with existing solar controller. You may want to upgrade components later, but no problem unhooking and just plugging in 4 new panels.

Scarecrow

2017 LTV Unity Murphy Bed
Klipstr installed new glass panels on top of the existing flexible panels a few years back. I would say mine was two years old at the time. We chose to do it this way because we surmised that removing them might be problematic (apparently, we were wrong, based on reports here). We used stand-off mounts, which raise the new panels above the roof by several inches. But I always did wonder if the solar panels were creating heat inside the overhead cabinets that run along the passenger side. When I tested my cabinet temperatures they were matching the ambient air outside. So, if it was 110-degrees in parts of California when I was there - those cabinets were registering about 110 inside. Oy! I immediately relocated any cameras and electronics to my rear closet area. I keep small clothing in the overhead side cabinets, now. I cannot swear the new panels do not affect those cabinets because I never thought to test them, again. But I will this summer.

All I can say is I very much LOVE the extra freedom that solar gives me. I just wish I could carry enough to power the microwave when boondocking. It makes sense that the solar panels create heat. I just wonder if Leisure ever tested them for long-term damage to the roof.

KSbuffalo

I have a bid (below) to replace the flexible OEM panels on my 2017 Unity switching to Zamp. The bid came in at $3,631 and that seem a bit outrageous to me…but maybe it isn’t? This bid doesn’t include new batteries as my AGM batteries are fairly new.

Thoughts and thanks in advance.

Rate Amount
Zamp Solar170W Mono solar panel 2 599.99 1,199.98
with removeable feet
Solar and Solar Installation Kit- 2 90.00 180.00
Includes but is not
limited to; Dicor, cable
retainers, loom,
fasteners etc.
Victron EnSmartSolar MPPT 100/30 1 226.10 226.10
Victron EnMPPT WireBox-M 100-30/50 1 29.75 29.75
& 150/35