Dipstick broke inside transmission

Hey everyone,
Wondering if anyone else has had this come up... the black plastic at the end of my transmission dipstick broke off inside the dipstick tube (must've got too excited to check my level after changing the transmission oil :bash:). Any tips/tricks to getting these out? Think it's safe on the transmission to drive? Am I going to have to get to it from underneath to get it unstuck?
Thanks!
Cole Cooper

Why were you checking the transmission fluid level. Curiosity? Trying out a new dipstick? After fluid change? Because the transmission had symptoms/operating issues?

If not for the last reason, and you have no reason to really expect that the transmission fluid level is low I wouldn't hesitate to continue to drive the truck. Unless there is a reason to suspect a problem (transmission fluid leak, symptoms) I drive my T1N's for months at a time and thousands of miles with never checking the transmission fluid level.

There isn't any way that bits of the plastic end can hurt your transmission even if some broke loose. The bits would fall into the sump/pan. The fluid pulled from the pan passes through the filter.

There's another thread somewhere about dealing with a broken dip stick end.

vic

Thanks for the heads up! I'll do a bit more searching then. I was checking it after changing the fluid (including draining the torque converter) to confirm it was at the right level. Added about 7.5 quarts, and was checking to see if it was at a good level. It's shifting way smoother now, got rid of a rumble strip noise

D

Deleted member 50714

I bought a genuine trans stick but I think it a hunk of junk with the cheesy plastic tip. Particularly manner of attachment, and hard to imagine it snaking through the convoluted tube.

When I drop the pan and can determine a reference point, I'll see if it can be modified.

IMG_5189.JPG

... Added about 7.5 quarts, ...
From my experience 7.5 quarts should have you at a safe range following a TC and pan drain.

Obviously if you notice any operating issues you should stop driving it. That is an unlikely scenario.

You might try a thin stiff (piano) wire with a Vee hook on the end to see if you are lucky enough to grab the plastic to extract it. Failing that a pan drain and pan drop would probably be needed. I would drain the fluid into a clean container for reuse.

:2cents: vic

Nautamaran

2004 140” HRC 2500 (Crewed)
I agree with Vic: 7.5 quarts sounds like a safe fill after a pan and T/C drain. You may be slightly low, but that’s better than overfilled. Remember: it’s a SUMP, and there’s a 3” range on the dipstick cold to hot, so there’s wiggle room.

The plastic tip’s “ears” will suspend the broken tip in the cone-shaped receiver socket on the side of the Conductor Plate. There is little chance that it can jump out of that socket and make its way anywhere but the sump, where the filter will prevent it entering the inner workings of the transmission. Fish it out next time you drop the pan, sure, but don’t fret about it in the mean time.

-dave

B

billintomahawk

When I changed my transmission oil/filter the first time I forgot to put the magnet back in so I had to do it twice, I drained the oil into a clean container and then reused it. The pan came off fast the second time. Everything was quick and easy. The pan gasket is designed for reuse.

I forget how I rebottled the saved oil but I don't remember a mess.

Last week I did a mini transmission oil change along with my engine oil change. I drained the pan and got out a couple of quarts, measured it and replaced with clean. I was surprised at how little drained out.

I didn't let it drip, just pulled the plug, drained and retightened. Used the same plug gasket.

FWIW.

bill in tomahawk

Last edited by a moderator:
In case anyone wonders what happened here, I decided 7.5 quarts was probably enough and drove it ~10k miles until I noticed a transmission fluid leak and decided to drop the pan and push out the tip from the bottom using the broken dipstick. I didn't reuse the fluid, just kept track of how much came out and put the same amount back in.
I'm now trying to fabricate a more durable dipstick to check the transmission fluid level to keep it at the right level. I've broken off two tips in the transmission so far, and don't want to have to drop the pan again20220126_164614_Trim_Moment.jpg

Kajtek1

2015 3500 X long limo RV
Having 5G over 20 years ago, the only source of dipsticks was dealer and I recall over $200 for 1.
So having 1/8" steel cable (from garage door) on my shelf, I was using it for about 10 years till finally I bough dipsticks for about $40.
Steel cable hits the bottom, so you need to deduct 6 mm for it (or having 10 mm tolerance you can ignore it) and it is harder to read, but I was taking clean paper towel and was pressing the cable against it to see the length of wet mark.
Not the most convenient way to, bulletproof when it come to breaking it.

D

Deleted member 50714

Many years ago, I was horrified to discover my new, German engineered Sprinter was equipped with a plastic dipstick and posted numerous concerns about the wisdom of using plastic for particular engine components such as intake manifolds water pumps, valve covers, etc.

jackbombay

2003 158" shc
I've broken off two tips in the transmission so far, and don't want to have to drop the pan again
It seems something is likely wrong with your dipstick tube, I've used my trans dipstick plenty and its always slid right in and out of the tube with minimal resistance, certainly nowhere near enough to cause the tip to break or seperate from the wire portion of the dipstick.

Nautamaran

2004 140” HRC 2500 (Crewed)
My DIY dipstick: plumber’s snake with “ears” welded to the end, then a nylon zip tie jammed into the end.
1643420782976.jpeg

This MOPAR chart is calibrated for their “no ears” tool which hits and measures from the bottom of the pan.
1643420940904.jpeg

Or this MB chart uses the eared dipstick relative to the stop cone on the conductor plate:
1643421045035.jpeg

-dave

lindenengineering

Well what can I state to all this, except that we use genuine MB dipsticks and having two hanging on the shop wall they get used at least 4 times a day with NO problems.
Is this a PEBSAT problem ?
Dennis

jrod5150

I use Ebay's finest Chinese $8 Transmission dipstick and I've never broke it. I'm going to say I've used it on atleast 50 T1Ns and that's a conservative number

Kajtek1

2015 3500 X long limo RV
Well what can I state to all this, except that we use genuine MB dipsticks and having two hanging on the shop wall they get used at least 4 times a day with NO problems.
Is this a PEBSAT problem ?
Dennis
I think broken tips are results of learning curve.
The tube has couple of sharp bends, where the tip has to go with flat sides. Any mechanic with some experience, when feels some resistance will use his 6th sense and give the cable some twist, what will make the tip go smoothly.
A person without mechanical touch will push the tip via bend sideway, what will result in crack.
That is the only logic conclusion I can figure out.

Top Bottom