Warped Flarespace flares

That's what I initially thought until I tried dry fitting them to the van. There's definitely a gap in the middle between the flare and van body.

Jupiter_Shrugged

Junebug vs. Hurricane
@4milesurfer Yours look very similar to mine... Which fit the sides of the van perfectly - I had to do ZERO sanding and tweaking on the Flarespaces to get them to fit.

For sure, the sides of the van are not flat. My Dometic S7P windows with a 5000 mm radius curve top to bottom also fit the sides of the van just right.

Thanks to all who responded back.

It turns out the passenger side flare fit great.

The driver’s side was warped a bit on the trailing edge. There’s about an 1/8” gap in the middle. The leading edge fits fine. I went ahead and glued them on and used extra flange adhesive (flarespace provided) where there’s a gap.

I’ll provide an update if I have any leakage issues with the driver’s side flare.

mean_in_green

>2,000,000m in MB vans
The curves aren't obvious at first are they... I've noticed that when looking at the 906 roofline in profile: it's only when you see it from a higher perspective like an upstairs window that you see it gradually rise and fall along the length of the van, in comparison to the totally flat lengths where the roof rails go. Yet when viewed from the ground you don't see the curve of the roof line at all.

Last edited:

spitfirefd

The driver’s side was warped a bit on the trailing edge. There’s about an 1/8” gap in the middle. The leading edge fits fine. I went ahead and glued them on and used extra flange adhesive (flarespace provided) where there’s a gap.

I’ll provide an update if I have any leakage issues with the driver’s side flare.
4mile.... Santa Cruz also, just finished gluing my last flare on 2 days ago. I am curious about the warp in the flare and how it goes.

grantwilson

FreedomVanGo
Just for reference...

We have found, recently, the quality of the parts are...not as great...as it was,lets say a year to a year and a half ago. There is routine work needed on the edge flanges, and increasing gaps and fitment issues as time goes on. We install a bunch of them, and while none of them have really been an issue. I do remember a day where they fit 100% perfect, the finish was almost ready for paint, and there was no filler needed.

While I do love me some flarespace, transparency is important!

Make sure you are test fitting your flares when you get them. You may need to hit it with some sandpaper to get a better fit. Its all part of aftermarket fiberglass stuff.

But also, just use a bunch of adhesive and you will be fine as 4milesurfer did

Just for reference...

We have found, recently, the quality of the parts are...not as great...as it was,lets say a year to a year and a half ago. There is routine work needed on the edge flanges, and increasing gaps and fitment issues as time goes on. We install a bunch of them, and while none of them have really been an issue. I do remember a day where they fit 100% perfect, the finish was almost ready for paint, and there was no filler needed.

While I do love me some flarespace, transparency is important!

Make sure you are test fitting your flares when you get them. You may need to hit it with some sandpaper to get a better fit. Its all part of aftermarket fiberglass stuff.

But also, just use a bunch of adhesive and you will be fine as 4milesurfer did
I definitely agree with that. I had quite a few rough spots on the edge flanges and file marks on the flares that needed to be fixed before shipping them off to the paint shop. I did a quick test fit before sending them out, but missed the 1/8" gap on the trailing edge, otherwise I would have sent them back.

Here’s an update on my flares... I used some extra adhesive to fill in the 1/8” trailing edge gap and it seems to have worked well. No leaks (yet).

My issue now is the quality of the space saver trim rings. They literally fit like FlareSpace grabbed someone off of the street with no fiberglass fabrication experience, handed them a belt sander. and told them to finish off the edges. These aren’t sanded well and don’t fit contours of the flares. As an example, the bottom edges aren’t even sanded straight. The middle section on both trim rings have large divots.

There are odd gaps all the way around the trim rings and will take hours to refit.
84118789-55A6-4E23-B83E-9AD141B31104.jpegE4408541-7D5D-4EAC-8A78-4158D10BE10F.jpeg

_Flarespace_

Oh! Glad to see this!

Top Bottom