hilld's slow roll build

RVBarry

2023 AWD 170 DIY CamperVan
what would I be missing that the Cerbo GX can satisfy? Why do you need the Cerbo?
Hi, integrated configuration and monitoring.

If you have a Raspberry Pi, you can download the software and run it in demo mode to see the features and interface.

You can also use the Pi, and a touchscreen or browser, to run in your van instead of the GX hardware. Do need to buy the Victron USB cables though.

Stella_Blue

2017 144 4WD Passenger
Hi, integrated configuration and monitoring.

If you have a Raspberry Pi, you can download the software and run it in demo mode to see the features and interface.

You can also use the Pi, and a touchscreen or browser, to run in your van instead of the GX hardware. Do need to buy the Victron USB cables though.
Thanks RVBarry.

:) I keep trying to keep my system design simple, and then every day it seems I learn that I may need more components.

I had thought that the BMV-712 was a good monitor. What does the Cerbo monitor that the BMV doesn't?

And what needs to be configured? I had been thinking that the Multiplus 3000 would handle shore power charging my soon to be purchased two 100A Battle Born 12V LiPo batteries. I don't intend to use shore power while out camping, but plan to use it in my driveway to charge before trips and on ski days when I'll be using the Espar heater quite a bit but with only 20 mins of driving to the ski area so not enough driving to recharge before the next day.

So I had thought the Multiplus could handle shore power charging and I'll get a B2B charger to charge from the alternator while driving. Solar will come next summer with its own charge controller.

So, wondering what configuration will be needed that and what monitoring will be needed?

THANKS all for your thoughts. I've read posts on here for two months about designing a battery system and I feel like I know less today than I did in Sept!!

hilld

The GX is a form of monitoring your Victron system, such as your solar charge controller, inverter, etc. You can also make programming changes with it. You don't have to have it, but you have to have some sort of way to monitor your systems and to make changes. You could do it all using the bluetooth dongle and use your phone, but generally some sort of panel is installed. The most basic and cheapest option is the Digital Multi Control, but I don't like the look of it, I prefer the GX style touch screen as the screen gives you current flow and a bunch of other pretty pictures. :cool:

Here is a link to many of the monitoring options for Victron: https://www.victronenergy.com/panel-systems-remote-monitoring

Hope this helps.

hilld

Thanks RVBarry.

:) I keep trying to keep my system design simple, and then every day it seems I learn that I may need more components.

I had thought that the BMV-712 was a good monitor. What does the Cerbo monitor that the BMV doesn't?

And what needs to be configured? I had been thinking that the Multiplus 3000 would handle shore power charging my soon to be purchased two 100A Battle Born 12V LiPo batteries. I don't intend to use shore power while out camping, but plan to use it in my driveway to charge before trips and on ski days when I'll be using the Espar heater quite a bit but with only 20 mins of driving to the ski area so not enough driving to recharge before the next day.

So I had thought the Multiplus could handle shore power charging and I'll get a B2B charger to charge from the alternator while driving. Solar will come next summer with its own charge controller.

So, wondering what configuration will be needed that and what monitoring will be needed?

THANKS all for your thoughts. I've read posts on here for two months about designing a battery system and I feel like I know less today than I did in Sept!!
LOVE the part about knowing less after spending months reading about it. I resemble that remark. <3

The multiplus 3000 has one external input (in addition to the solar charging input) for power (either shore power or generator - you choose). I will be doing shore power as I don't plan on a gen set at all. The BMV-712 measures and monitors your batteries (current in and out and voltage), not your inverter.

The previous link I posted to Victrons monitoring tools should give you a good idea on what each item does. You have to click on each one and do some reading or start with some of the various system designs others have posted here. It is all a fun learning experience, but we have all been in your shoes, trying to figure out what we need as a minimum without buying stuff we don't need and wasting a bunch of money. This stuff isn't cheap.

moses

Thanks Hilld. But what I'm asking is, what functions do the Cerbo GX and the GX Touch serve? If I were to install a Multiplus 3000 with 2x 100A Battle Born 12v (same ones you have) and a BMV-712 (currently planning on B2B charger and shore power, solar to come next summer) ... what would I be missing that the Cerbo GX can satisfy? Why do you need the Cerbo?

Thanks!
I just posted about the Cerbo on my thread if you want to see the graphs and pictures it comes up with.

hilld

Update for this week. My smart floor and 2 seats are installed as well as the Maxxair fan. Parts are still piling up, did pickup up the Adventure Wagon Bunk and MOAB beds today from their warehouse. Some of the Black Friday purchases from Battle Born are also arriving. I also received some items from Van Compass, but was missing some shims, those arrived today as well. Guess I will be busy going forward.

In any case, here are some pics.

1607636566391.png

1607636583821.png

1607636631895.png

1607636607558.png

1607636618084.png

Christian-

I hope those Victron cat5 and USB cables weren't expensive. For anyone doing a similar build: you can get them for cheap at somewhere like monoprice.

hilld

Cables were cheap, actually didn't notice they had the Cat5 cable on the quote. Even if the cables cost a few bucks more, less chasing around for parts. I could make Cat5 cables, do that all the time.

When I have everything in its final location, there is a good chance I will make a custom length cat5 cable so I don't have to coil cable and hide it somewhere.

Last edited:

RVBarry

2023 AWD 170 DIY CamperVan
I hope those Victron cat5 and USB cables weren't expensive. For anyone doing a similar build: you can get them for cheap at somewhere like monoprice.
I'm guessing those are standard USB for programming the devices with a laptop.

There are other ones I'm looking at for using a Raspberry Pi running Venus/GX; they are expensive and seem like they may have a chip inside the cable:

moses

Might be awesome to pickup a tablet (perhaps the $300 ipad) and perma-mount it in the van to use as the UI for all sorts of things. As a bonus, you could watch movies and control your music on it.

Lots of ways to go on this. Just some examples. https://www.amazon.com/wall-mount-ipad/s?k=wall+mount+ipad
Definitely would be neat. My plan is to hook up a Pi that I can switch my screen to. It can have any other automation, firewalled vpn for public wifi etc. The built in screen can run those activities. I also have a mini projector that can be used to watch movies on the PI on a rainy day. I'll be able to switch back and forth with the flip of a switch.
I'm not smart enough to figure out how to do this on the os that runs on the Cerbo. My testing with the PI GX software was limiting at best. I decided separate devices were easier.

Sprinter SS

Hilld,

As a owner of several sprinters since 2003 I can appreciate your use for the van. I have never built one out as I enjoy having the wide open space and function of Cargo van. I cannot think of a more functional vehicle (i guess thats why i keep buying them).

Your smart floor looks awesome, are the seats comfortable? How long did it take to get those shipped in?

hilld

Hilld,

As a owner of several sprinters since 2003 I can appreciate your use for the van. I have never built one out as I enjoy having the wide open space and function of Cargo van. I cannot think of a more functional vehicle (i guess thats why i keep buying them).

Your smart floor looks awesome, are the seats comfortable? How long did it take to get those shipped in?
It took about 4 weeks after approving the plans to get the floor installed. But to be fair, there was a Thanksgiving week tossed in there as well as having to schedule the days to make this all happen. I have sat in the seats for perhaps 90 mins total, but no more than 30 mins at a time. The seat is pretty comfortable, however, I don't plan on using this as my primary seat, that is what the drivers seat is for. :-D

I was fortunate to see on all the various seats at the Adventure Wagon show back in October and found the ones that I picked to be the most comfortable.

I do want to warn you, that the smart floor system and seats are not cheap, but they are crash tested, something that was important to myself and my brother.

hilld

Couple of updates. I took the van to Musicar NW in Portland for a serious sound upgrade, wasn't cheap, but it rocks.

Morel Hybrid 6.5" in the doors, tweeters in the A-Pillars, Morel Tempo 6.5" separates in the upper rear doors using Hein's panels, JL Audio Twk88 DSP, ARC XDi1200.6 Amplifier, JL Audio 10TW3 sub, wiring, control knobs, sound proofing in the doors, etc. Amp, DSP and Sub are mounted under the passenger seat. Also wired in a Bluetooth module and pre-wired some cable for running off house batteries once they are installed.

Couple of pics.

Front Tweeters
1608940076889.png

Rear speakers
1608940124629.png

hilld

The slowness of the build continues. After an almost 3 month wait, my aluminess running boards finally came in.

1610130054325.png

1610130074154.png

1610130090121.png

1610130108282.png

hilld

I have been busy with house and garage construction, so the van has primarily been used to haul stuff, but today, I managed to find a few hours and I installed the MOAB Bed V2 vertical rail kit. Overall, it went pretty smooth, I was short 4 of the 3/16 SS rivets, but I had some 1/4 SS rivets, so 4 holes got drilled a bit larger and all is well. Tomorrow I will try to put in the horizontal rails and see how the bed fits.

I used some new cobolt drill bits and air powered RivNut and Rivet guns, both worked flawless. Total install time was around 2.5 hours.

Next up is to put in the ceiling rails (I got a kit from Esplori - as Adwagon won't sell just the rails and A-frame.) The ceiling rails are needed for the MOAB bunk bed as we need sleeping for 3. Ok, enough talking, here are some pics.

First couple of pics are the A-frame installed

1612581008275.png

1612581035954.png

The next couple are with the L-track installed onto the A-frame

1612581124106.png

1612581150819.png

Top Bottom