hilld's slow roll build

johnplyler

2020 4x4
I plan to attach 1-inch fir to all the ceiling and wall ribs. Then use 1/4-inch closet paneling Lowe's and Home Depot sell. I have seen this put up with spacier's, maybe 1/8th, so it is breathable. I will use probably the same 1-inch dry wall screws to attach the paneling. Probably paint the screw heads to match. The spaced out paneling didn't look too bad in other builds, but we will see.

hilld

I am thinking stainless steel countertop, light and easy to clean. I could do copper if I wanted to get fancy.

johnplyler

2020 4x4
I'm guessing you will need a drop in sink for SS tops. Now I may end up with that myself. My wife is extremely chemical sensitive and will probably never set foot in the van until my idea dissipates for a year. We really should pick out our sinks to see what kind of counter top we are having to deal with. I have already spend hours looking and didn't find anything I liked. I am wanting a deeper SS sink for cleaning dishes with rounded edges to make the sink easier to clean. I am thinking I want a duckbill drain trap like the marine people use.

hilld

While not cheap and certainly not an RV manufacturer check out Julien for sinks. https://www.julien.ca/en/home/ They are out of Canada and do custom sinks if you have a specific size in mind. They do both under-mount and drop in, you can even get a countertop with a sink integrated, not sure how expensive that would be, but could solve the need of light weight, durable and custom fit.

johnplyler

2020 4x4
I just found my counter tops:
To make is really light, I probably will use 1/2 plywood with a build up 1-inch edge.
Well, see what you think of the shower mixer valve I found. In fact I already ordered it and with shipping, taxes, etc. it is only $44.27. I just hope I can find fittings, but if I don't I will just braze some on! What I was looking for was a really shallow valve since I am placing it over my sliding door for the inside shower.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/328...terminal_id=58938f07c64149a0b4d2e8db1a7dd7ddj

Last edited by a moderator:

hilld

I like those, I actually have a Hansgrohe version of that in our master shower.

1615301023772.png

They work well, we never touch the temperature control, only the water on/off. For that price, I don't think you can go wrong, the only issue perhaps that it might be a bit big inside a van.

hilld

I have been looking around for a modular galley and there used to be a Trinity Toolbox that Costco sold, that had a set of drawers on one side and a cabinet on the other to accommodate a sink. But that toolbox has been out of stock everywhere for over a year now.

I recently purchased some NewAge Bold cabinets for my garage and decided to search here to see if anyone has built a galley with them, and low and behold somebody has, about 3 years ago. Thread here: https://sprinter-source.com/forums/index.php?threads/61501/#post-608542

I am contemplating the exact same 2 cabinets, but creating a frame underneath and putting them onto casters to be able to quickly remove it from the van. I would do quick connect fittings for the water on the side. While in the van, the cabinet would be attached to the L-track in the smart floor to make sure nothing moves, perhaps even use some casters that have leveling feet as part of that. Still kicking that idea around. Here is the color I am thinking to keep the colors light still.

1615301366969.png
and

1615301390823.png

RVBarry

2023 AWD 170 DIY CamperVan
Hi @hilld, I would guess those tool cabinets are quite heavy, and the drawers wouldn't have latching slides (other than the key lock).

hilld

I know how heavy they are, at least the drawer ones. I have 3 of them in my garage. Yikes.

I would hope that the key latch would be sufficient, they might not be a great idea. I need to measure to see how far into the van they would protrude at the 35" height. Might have to make a cardboard mockup. I am not too concerned about the weight as this is a fairly lightweight build and I also have a 3500 so I won't be overloaded. I might still make something out of Aluminum, but I like the idea of this being turn key and focus my labor on other areas. The build quality of the new age cabinets is pretty awesome. I did reply to the other thread where somebody did this in 2017, I am hoping the OP does respond and provide a long term update. I still have some time to decide though.

Thanks for the feedback Barry.

RVBarry

2023 AWD 170 DIY CamperVan
@asimba2 now has an 8020 or TNutz distributor selling his galley frame for below the retail cost of the extrusions and cuts.

You do have to add the drawer hardware and panels yourself, but he has nice videos showing how to do it.

Last edited:

hilld

Time for some updates. I dropped off the Van the other day at Van Specialties to install some AM style sliders that I had ordered from Van Windows Direct. After 3 months they finally arrived. These windows are made in Turkey vs. the AM ones which are made in China. The biggest difference is that the Turkey windows have the screens on the outside of the window vs on the inside on the AM version.

Yes, I chickened out and had somebody else cut holes in the van, plus I didn't really have any time or help to do so.

1616970484420.png

1616970527530.png

hilld

Next up is the electrical system. I have been collecting parts for several months now and I think I pretty much have everything except for mounting brackets and a breaker for the solar panel, but that is not the focus currently. In addition to the electrical work, I would like to finish up the L-Tracks, still have the passenger side to do and perhaps a lower one for tie down purposes. I have seen a couple of vans that had this and it looks like a perfect way to attach a folding table, so I will probably do that as well.

I took a piece of cardboard and trimmed it to fit the inside of the van. With the cost of plywood, I am not cutting anything until I have it all figured out. :rolleyes:

Here is the first attempt, and nothing really fit. There is no way I can fit 3 batteries there. Yikes, time to change things up and try again.

1616970752527.png

1616970807196.png

1616970840833.png

Plan B, make the box a few inches longer and raise the bed 1" to give me some additional clearances....who said you can't have an art project.

1616970902003.png

johnplyler

2020 4x4
I am right behind you in my build as well. I see lots of the same parts! I am hoping to set my 400Ah DIY battery over my driver's side wheel well or just forward of it, so that I can get the inverter/charger, MPPT, fuse panel, and charge controller, etc. all between the battery and rear door for easy access.

I have it laid out enough that I can start thinking of the wiring lengths. Have you found a supply house for your connectors and wire? I am thinking I will put my 6-8 lights on 14 gauge and my ~6 outlets on 12 gauge. I am just wondering if a roll of 50' each would make it?

Last edited:

hilld

I think this layout will work. I will have the 2 AC panels (one for "normal" inverter power and one for shore power) mounted up high in a custom cabinet along with the rest of the gauges to monitor the electrical system.

1616971163117.png

1616971181356.png

1616971207444.png

1616971267463.png

hilld

The window looks nice, what is next? What kind of drain are you putting on your sink?
Quite honestly, I haven't even thought about that yet, but most likely I will have a 5 gal or so jug under the sink for now to collect the drain water. Eventually, I might do a gray water tank or have a way to dump from inside the jug.

I did buy a sink the other day, so there is that. Still have to figure out the cabinet situation.

In addition, I purchased a Dometic dual zone chest fridge, they are currently on sale until tomorrow. I have to give @RVBarry credit for posting the deal.

Top Bottom