Stereo installer in NorCal/SF Bay Area that knows MBUX system?

drodio

"Avalanche" • 2022 170" Ext Cargo 4x4
Wondering if anyone in the NorCal/SF Bay Area has a stereo installer recommendation for someone know knows the MBUX system.

I’ve got a 2020 170” Crew that only has front speakers currently. I’d like to be able to use the MBUX system to fade front to rear, etc — i.e., control the entire system. I have no idea how much work it is (or if it’s even possible?) to get a “front speaker only MBUX system” to work for a full setup. I’d love to know what’s possible, and what installer might be able to make it happen!

ssort

It's all about the bikes!
i've got the same questions. i put in better door speakers but the system is just awful. thanks in advance

borabora

The dealer can reconfigure the head unit for 4 speaker output. There was a thread here were someone had it done successfully and for free. I do not know if the unit includes amplifiers for the rear output or if the output is line level. If you google search you are very likely to find the answer. In any case once the unit is reconfigured just about any decent automotive stereo shop should be able to add rear speakers and amps if needed. If you are comfortable doing this kind of work you can do it yourself ordering appropriate harnesses from Crutchfield and some other suppliers. The big question is where to put the rear speakers. I am not that familiar with the crew model but I believe similar to the cargo van there is no provision for rear speakers. I have a converted NCV3 cargo and am in the process of adding "rear" speakers in the headliner above the cab windows -- not ideal but there's space.

@ssort I am not familiar with the quality of the MBUX system but most factory radios outside of luxury vehicles are just crap. You should however get better sound if you replace both the tweeters in the windshield corners and the door mid/woofer as matched pairs so that the crossover frequencies match. Better yet add amps. But sooner or later you run up against the fact that these are noisy, boxy vans with poor acoustics and lots of ambient noise.

spitfirefd

I am in the Santa Cruz area and am going through the same issues. I am planning on installing rear component or 6x9's and also an amp that has DSP. Lastly, I plan on adding an 8" sub. So funny that for such an expensive van we get to expect less that adequate sound.

borabora

I am in the Santa Cruz area and am going through the same issues. I am planning on installing rear component or 6x9's and also an amp that has DSP. Lastly, I plan on adding an 8" sub. So funny that for such an expensive van we get to expect less that adequate sound.
For most people the van is a work vehicle and often driven by employees or when driven by the owner, other qualities are more important. Add to that the fact that the interior is very loud and boomy making it a poor place for high quality listening. I think improvement is possible and if you are willing to spend lots on money (much on sound damping) you can get superior audio quality. It's just evidently not most owners' priority.

I haven't dealt with MBUX (I bought the van used with an aftermarket unit) but in general it's pretty easy to work under the dash and access the existing speakers and the head unit. If handy you can do it all yourself. Big question being where to locate additional speakers. Here in Santa Cruz (yup, I am local too) I bet Lotts can do it all for you if you are willing to pay the price

spitfirefd

For most people the van is a work vehicle and often driven by employees or when driven by the owner, other qualities are more important. Add to that the fact that the interior is very loud and boomy making it a poor place for high quality listening. I think improvement is possible and if you are willing to spend lots on money (much on sound damping) you can get superior audio quality. It's just evidently not most owners' priority.

I haven't dealt with MBUX (I bought the van used with an aftermarket unit) but in general it's pretty easy to work under the dash and access the existing speakers and the head unit. If handy you can do it all yourself. Big question being where to locate additional speakers. Here in Santa Cruz (yup, I am local too) I bet Lotts can do it all for you if you are willing to pay the price
Fellow local......thanks for the response, and yes, Lotts stereo is not cheap. Will continue to push forward and see if I can get this figured out.

Park City Mike

Wondering if anyone in the NorCal/SF Bay Area has a stereo installer recommendation for someone know knows the MBUX system.

I’ve got a 2020 170” Crew that only has front speakers currently. I’d like to be able to use the MBUX system to fade front to rear, etc — i.e., control the entire system. I have no idea how much work it is (or if it’s even possible?) to get a “front speaker only MBUX system” to work for a full setup. I’d love to know what’s possible, and what installer might be able to make it happen!
Mercedes of Sacramento has successfully reprogrammed the head unit to add rear fader function multiple times (I spoke with them on the phone). Someone on this forum also said Fresno could do it as well. You also have to make sure you have rear speaker wires coming out of the head unit wire harness: https://sprinter-source.com/forums/index.php?threads/91127/

hdaniels

Hi Spitfirefd, let me know what you end up doing for your van? I live in Santa Cruz as well and trying to tackle the same issue. Let me know if you want to collaborate on this issue?

My 2020 arrived today (another Santa Cruz person). I will probably talk to Dan at Lott's. They are solid, reliable and not cheap. I've used them on four or five vehicles. You get what you pay for.

borabora

If you want the fader / rear speaker activated on your MBUX system in Santa Cruz then they probably can do it at Precision Mercedes but since you probably won't be servicing your van there for a while they'll probably charge you while a MB dealer might do it for free as a courtesy to a customer who will bring his vehicle in for service frequently.

I finished my speaker installation in the headliner above the cab side windows. It sounds significantly better. I have also replaced the door and windshield corner speakers but my guess is that spending a lot on those speaker replacements is not worth it because of the location. There still isn't any substantial bass but I didn't expect that -- you need a boxed and baffled speaker for that. I think the new speakers in the headliner is a very good bang-for-the-buck solution. Going beyond that will involve new enclosures, I think.

hdaniels

If you want the fader / rear speaker activated on your MBUX system in Santa Cruz then they probably can do it at Precision Mercedes but since you probably won't be servicing your van there for a while they'll probably charge you while a MB dealer might do it for free as a courtesy to a customer who will bring his vehicle in for service frequently.

I finished my speaker installation in the headliner above the cab side windows. It sounds significantly better. I have also replaced the door and windshield corner speakers but my guess is that spending a lot on those speaker replacements is not worth it because of the location. There still isn't any substantial bass but I didn't expect that -- you need a boxed and baffled speaker for that. I think the new speakers in the headliner is a very good bang-for-the-buck solution. Going beyond that will involve new enclosures, I think.
It would be cool to see a photo of the speakers in the headliner? I have not seen that option yet! Also what speakers did you use to replace the door speakers and tweeters with?

I plan on replacing my speakers in the next coming week and have not decided on what to buy yet.

Sounds like we should start a Sprinter Club of Santa Cruz :}

borabora

It doesn't look all that exciting -- which I suppose is good...

20201024_090410.jpg

I used Infinity Ref6532EX for the headliner and probably the same model, I am not sure, in the doors (did those a while ago). In the windshield corners I used Mass Audio CT2 but probably should have gotten something cheaper since I think the placement makes good speakers probably a waste.

There is limited space behind the headliner and the speakers I used were "shallow mount" which is why the grill is thicker. There was plenty of space behind the headliner and a deeper speaker but obviously not enough for something that's very deep. I hot glued 3/4" thick pieces of trim to the back of the headliner to stiffen it up and give a place for the mounting screws to attach to. That worked very well and the speakers don't wobble in any way. I have a 2016 and your VS30 may be different.

hdaniels

It doesn't look all that exciting -- which I suppose is good...

View attachment 158534

I used Infinity Ref6532EX for the headliner and probably the same model, I am not sure, in the doors (did those a while ago). In the windshield corners I used Mass Audio CT2 but probably should have gotten something cheaper since I think the placement makes good speakers probably a waste.

There is limited space behind the headliner and the speakers I used were "shallow mount" which is why the grill is thicker. There was plenty of space behind the headliner and a deeper speaker but obviously not enough for something that's very deep. I hot glued 3/4" thick pieces of trim to the back of the headliner to stiffen it up and give a place for the mounting screws to attach to. That worked very well and the speakers don't wobble in any way. I have a 2016 and your VS30 may be different.
Thanks for sharing, looks cools and probably sounds great. I plan on installing a shelf so I am going to be stuck with front factory locations in the doors and dash. I plan on upgrading those speakers. Tring to get the dealer in AutoBahn MB in Belmont to figure out how to install the fader on my stock HU. Waiting to hear back from them. I have never had good luck with the dealership with anything outside the box. They always seem to be clueless. Almost always rely on tickers like yourself and what I figure out.

spitfirefd

Hi Spitfirefd, let me know what you end up doing for your van? I live in Santa Cruz as well and trying to tackle the same issue. Let me know if you want to collaborate on this issue?
Absolutely...... I am still finishing up the install on the Flarespace flares (had to wait forever for a backordered window). The cargo 2wd is coming along. Seems like there are enough of us to bounce ideas off locally.

hdaniels

Spitfirefd, PM me on this site, I have my flares sitting in my garage, taking them to get painted this week and waiting on windows as well.

Jkanedrew

Hey guys. I’m another Santa Cruz sprinter owner. 2020 4x4 144 passenger. I would like to get the road noises under control and then work on audio. Have you all tried disconnecting the center speaker on the windshield ? Center speaker is invasive and doesn’t tune out with fader so might be worth turning off until a system can be designed.

If you all start a group to work on sprinters locally I’m interested.

spitfirefd

Hey guys. I’m another Santa Cruz sprinter owner. 2020 4x4 144 passenger. I would like to get the road noises under control and then work on audio. Have you all tried disconnecting the center speaker on the windshield ? Center speaker is invasive and doesn’t tune out with fader so might be worth turning off until a system can be designed.

If you all start a group to work on sprinters locally I’m interested.
Yes, I disconnected the center speaker and things got somewhat better. I still plan on installing a better system when I am further down the road.

smittylube

+ 1 more Santa Cruz. 2 weeks ago took delivery of the revel.
Unplugged the center speaker, ordered up some speaker replacements for the door as well as dynamat equivalent and sound deadening foam/carpet from Amazon. Expecting to put some dynamat and such in the side and rear doors but when I peeked in I found they filled it with foam padding. I suspect the front doors will still enjoy the dynamat and sound carpet between the door and the panel. (And I will silence the step area as well)

I have been thinking about the lack of base comments and am contemplating cutting a hole behind the door speaker to allow the sound into the door. Another thought was maybe a thick cardboard cylinder to make a speaker enclosure of some sort. I will see what I can come up with when I dig in.
Another local option for the fader might possibly be Ricks MBZ in Scotts Valley. I know he has SDS or did. So if he has the subscription he should be able to code the radio for you.

borabora

If someone activates the fader for you for free then of course you have nothing to lose. However, if you have to pay MB prices for that service I would seriously consider what the cost of a new head unit is that solves that problem and will potentially sound a lot better. It all depends on how picky you are about sound and what other functions the MBUX screen implements in your van besides audio and navigation and whether those functions can be transferred to a new head unit.

Top Bottom