Removing Valve cover OM642

mido

I recently purchased an 08 Dodge sprinter with the OM642 motor. When I purchased it, the van was running very weakly and did have a knocking noise. The owner showed me the codes which did read that

1. 2574/2576 (Fuel injector 1/3 circuit minimum actuation not attained
2. cylinder 1/6 glow plug open circuit)

Hoping that I could fix the van and use it as a utiltiy vehicle, i purchased new injectors for an amount I would rather not disclose due to embarrassment. To my dismay after installing the injectors. my problems had not been solved. the vehicle still made a knocking noise which increased along with rpm increase.

After trying to consult with a few "mobile mechanics" I came to the conclusion that the next step here is to remove the valve cover. I was able to reach a certain point but I am currently stuck on the next step to remove obstructions leading to the valve covers removal. The service manuals I was able to get my hands on are as you all know very unhelpful. can anyone please help me figure out the next step here?

These are the codes and the injector which I pulled which looked relatively fine.
whoa! That injector looks brand new! Very different than the injectors I just pulled, how many miles were on your van when you pulled it? Did you ever resolve your issues?

Top Bottom