Alternators on 3 Liter Diesels

Hello,

Looking for information on how many horsepower I can safely pull off a 3 liter with an alternator.

Any input on alternator capacity and it’s correlation to maximum amp hour size for a lithium iron phosphate battery? How large will my alternator need to be to keep a 300ah battery happy for 12,000 cycles?

Thank you kindly for your input!

Best,

marklg

It's more complicated than just an alternator to charge the batteries correctly.

This thread should be of some help:

There are other threads about the subject that a forum wide search will turn up.

Regards,

Mark

Bawareca

I have read somewhere that pulling 40A off of the stock altrernator is Ok. I just installed a 40A DC/DC charger to charge a 100ah Li battery(another 100ah will be added soon), but it looks like it pulls up to 55amps. I did not notice any ill effects, but I will not pull more than that from the stock alternator.

Kajtek1

2015 3500 X long limo RV
When it comes how much diesel can pull at idle - it is a lot.
My 4-banger has 250 amp alternator and 2 AC compressors.
When pulling 250 amp on hot day is not likely, 2 compressors in 115F weather do pull quite a bit.

What kind of amperage does your alternator actually crank out? Are you externally regulated? What are you charging?
Best,

autostaretx

Erratic Member
*somewhere* in my 1.5 decades of Sprinter docs there was mention of "6 horsepower" being an allowable secondary belt-load.
A 250 amp alternator (250 A *14 V = 3500 W ... 3500 W/ 756 WperHP )= 4.6 horse power
(assuming no losses).

--dick (the Body Equipment Guide (BEG) might have the current spec)

Top Bottom