UK Sprinter 4x4 manual will not engage

G-A-R-Y

I've nearly completed the purchase of a 516 4x4 (2013). Only problem is that I can't check or engage 4x4 and low range.

After watching lots of videos I have pressed the switch many times, it flashes three time quickly then goes off, sometime it only flashes twice.

Spoke to the garage that just fitted one ABS sensor for it's annual test and he tells me he remembers this van had issues years back. He said they took the motor off the gearbox and cleaned it up and got it working but it had communication problems.

Does this mean anything to an expert out there.

BTW, van is UK six speed manual with only 20,000 miles so has sat around a lot of its life.

G-A-R-Y

Why does someone keep moving my posts, this post was directed at USA users as we don't have many 4x4 Sprinters in the UK.

The knowledge base is greater in the States for these vans.

Why does someone keep moving my posts, this post was directed at USA users as we don't have many 4x4 Sprinters in the UK.

The knowledge base is greater in the States for these vans.
I didn't move it. If I did the infrequently visited Europe section would not be my choice.

"4x4 Manual"
Does that refer to a 2013 4x4 with manual transmission? ... yes, the manual transmission has never been offered in the USA... at all. The better area would be the Aussie section. They do have manual transmissions.

Added:
Moved to Aussie section.
vic

Last edited:

G-A-R-Y

I didn't move it. If I did the infrequently visited Europe section would not be my choice.

"4x4 Manual"
Does that refer to a 2013 4x4 with manual transmission? ... yes, the manual transmission has never been offered in the USA... at all. The better area would be the Aussie section. They do have manual transmissions.

Added:
Moved to Aussie section.
vic
Australia? That's sounds a good idea. Mine is quite rare here in the UK, it's a 516 BTW.

There isn't much info out there.

Ed463

You may have done this?
If not, try pressing the button whilst you're moving at less than 5mph. Not under load, just coasting. Try it with the clutch in and out. Try it with some steering lock on.
If that doesn't work try the same technique in reverse.
What ever you do don't try it under load.
If it still doesn't work I'd suggest getting it plugged into a scanner.

G-A-R-Y

Thanks, I've tried to "loosen/neutralise the transmission" and drive lines to enable the motor to engage 4x4. (It can be difficult to engage 4x4 on vehicles with a manual lever).

My problem is the switch pulses three times quickly (within one second). It does not remain flashing.

Latest news from the workshop is, they have tested the motor on the side of the box, tested and the wiring. I've been told they suspect the ECU and are getting one to try.

Eric Experience

Gary.
You are on the correct forum page. The problem is best solved if you do the work, going through another party looses the detail. Simple logic is all that is required, If you remove the selector motor and observe the shaft when you press the button will tell you if if its electrical or mechanical. If the shaft turns you just need to lubricate the shaft if it does not then look at your procedure. The motor is controlled by the transfer case control unit not the ecu. Eric.

G-A-R-Y

Thanks, to date the garage are still working on it. They suspect control module which I call electronic control unit(ECU).

I'll leave them to it as the seller is paying for this work. If this fails they will take it to the Mercedes main agent for commercials.

4x4.JPG

G-A-R-Y

Update to help others, garage diagnosed ecu, one is on order from Germany, I've been told they have fitted a new motor.
Lets hope it all works ok.

Top Bottom