Sterling b2b connections

autostaretx

Erratic Member
I believe the VS30 has a current-detecting shunt attached to the negative post in the starter battery box.
The red light could be the Sprinter trying to tell you that the alternator is not producing power when asked to
(perhaps known by the shunt not registering adequate current)
Perhaps your additions are "stealing" current and the Sprinter is noticing?

If you look in the lower left corner of that last photo i posted, you can see two small wires connected to the (not quite) red and shiny copper thing that is attached to the negative post. That's the shunt.
Try disconnecting *only* the BtoB's negative connection to the Sprinter side of the game. See if the light goes off.
If it does not, disconnect the BtoB's positive connection too.
If the light still stays on, something may have happened to your charging circuit (alternator or control).

Before disconnecting things, test the Sprinter's "12v" supply when the engine is running ... it should climb to over 13.5 volts (at least soon after the engine starts ... it may drop to 13.2 after a while).
If it never exceeds 12.7 volts, the alternator is not producing current.

--dick

So here are a couple of pictures of what I ended up doing. I tied into position #6 of the distribution block under the driver's seat. I had to fabricate a copper bar to extend to where I could fit the Littlefuse in-line MIDI fuse holder. One picture with fuse holder cover off and one with it on.

Attachments

kper

So here are a couple of pictures of what I ended up doing. I tied into position #6 of the distribution block under the driver's seat. I had to fabricate a copper bar to extend to where I could fit the Littlefuse in-line MIDI fuse holder. One picture with fuse holder cover off and one with it on.
That is very similar to what I did. Hammered some copper pipe flat to make a bridge and ran off of post #6 (I had both 6 and 7 empty). I ran direct to a 100A circuit breaker housed inside the seat pedestal, which I can reach with the seat on.

I don't have enough consumers to discharge the house batteries, so on my one and only test run, the b2b sat on float the entire time. Hopefully this is just because my batteries are full and everything is working properly. Time will tell...

Top Bottom