360 degree birdview camera install

GreatWhiteNorth

I installed a cheap 4 camera "birdview" camera system and want to share how it went.
Camera System aprox $100
7" screen $30

My conversion is more of the fast and cheap variety. I still want to not bump into cars and see what is making that noise at night without getting out. Dashcam function could be good too. I just installed so don't have real world use with it yet.
full side w camera.jpg
Since I wanted it as much for camping surveillance as traffic, I didn't go with the typical under mirror location for the camera, but up high and in the middle.

camera w light.jpg
I bought a pack of 5 "Baja Tough" truck cab marker lights for $15, and drilled in the cameras.
7 inch screen sm.jpg
The screen is surprisingly good for $30 and has a split output which I'll run back to the sleeping area so I can check out what's going on outside silently.
360 screenshot.jpg
The calibration is a slow process and I have to tweek it more yet, but you can see the 360 degree view corrects the bird's eye lens and stiches the images pretty well. The full camera image, which will switch to rear, or sides automatically with blinker or reverse, or manually with remote, still has bird's eye effect.
Despite being "Super HD" you can't make out a license plate from 20' away, so not the greatest dashcam, but enough to get across what happened I guess. The instructions are horrible but set out a 40" square at each corner and use "manual correction 4.4m" no need for the cloth calibration mats and you can get it done.

Last edited:

GreatWhiteNorth

The front one I screwed in the fixed plastic grill vents and ran the wire into the existing firewall wire grommet near the searing column. The rear I put up on the roof near the 3rd brake light. I drilled a hole in the side of the brake light lens and ran the wire down the same hole as the brake light wires. I mounted an extension stick of some PVC trim I had around to let the camera stick out a couple of inches so I was sure to get a good view of the step bumper. I'll try to get a pic to upload soon.

Last edited:

Kajtek1

2015 3500 X long limo RV
Had Ford dually with 360 cameras and loved it, so will definitely watch this thread for updates?
There is a company in CA, who offers the set for cars, but with calibration it went into $2000 range, so pretty expensive.
Here is picture I saved from my truck. Coincidently (?) my truck was white as the picture on the screen and first time I saw it - my jaw drop.

Nimpoc

Enginerd in wander
Has anyone else installed one of these, and if so, what's your experience?
It seems maybe the software would stitch better if all the cameras were at the same height?

I'm interested in installing one thru a Teyes Android head unit.

avanti

2022 Ford Transit 3500
Has anyone else installed one of these, and if so, what's your experience?
It seems maybe the software would stitch better if all the cameras were at the same height?

I'm interested in installing one thru a Teyes Android head unit.
I installed one in 2016:

Has worked just fine ever since.
The only thing I regret was that I used the OEM Becker screen as my display. It is just too small for this purpose. If you install one, I recommend getting thee biggest screen you can fit.

As for calibration, I spent a few more dollars to buy a set of checkerboard calibration targets. Helps a lot.

Kajtek1

2015 3500 X long limo RV
avanti is your system having trailer mode?
I had it on my F350 and it was priceless when backing up under camper, or towards a trailer.
Additionally, I read somewhere that "blind spot" cameras become popular as well.
Did anybody tried to install it all?

bcman

I installed one in 2017. Here's my write-up: https://sprinter-source.com/forums/index.php?threads/57984/
A couple notes:
  • I installed the side cameras in the mirror housings. Mine's a 140" WB. For the 158" you may need a more central location.
  • Mine also had wires for connecting to back-up lights and turn signals to auto-switch to rear or side views. I chose to connect the rear view wire to constant 12V, so it's always on, and defaults to the rear view. The actual rear-view mirror in my van is worthless, so this serves as my rear-view mirror.

Top Bottom