how do I remove interior panels in a 2005 sprinter

Dean Mueller

I am having a water leakage problem and the ceiling panels above the driver area are getting wet and stained. I need to remove them and find the source of the link. Can anyone tell me how to remove those panels?

I have other modifications in mond so any general info on how to remove interior panels would also be very useful?

This is a 2005 extended passenger 2500

thanks,
Dean

autostaretx

Erratic Member
The -side- panels are removed with a "trim removal tool"... basically a bent flat piece of metal, or a looks-like-a-screwdriver-dandelion-puller.
Available at any auto parts store starting at $5.

The panels are held on with plastic posts (also available at the parts store for inspection and/or spares).
The tool surrounds the post of the tool and lifts up on the post's broad head to pull the tip from the body's metal.
If you just pull on the panel itself, you run the risk of ripping the post's head from the panel's cardboard backing.
The tool avoids that.

Example tools:
http://www.amazon.com/DOOR-PANEL-TRIM-Windshield-REMOVAL/dp/B000NGIPP8
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41xuvaMYOkL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Discussion on interior panel removal and clip parts https://sprinter-source.com/forums/showthread.php?t=69873&highlight=panel

--dick

Last edited by a moderator:

autostaretx

Erratic Member
I've done the side panels, but i've never pulled down the roof.
Among -my- questions are whether one can remove only the rear section,
or do you have to start from the cab and work backwards?

That said, here's what the service manual says about the roof panels:
=================
Cab Section
(1) Remove the a-pillar trim. (Refer to 23 - BODY/INTERIOR/A-PILLAR TRIM - REMOVAL)
(2) Remove the sun visors. (Refer to 23 - BODY/INTERIOR/SUN VISOR - REMOVAL)
(3) Remove the b-pillar trim. (Refer to 23 - BODY/INTERIOR/B-PILLAR TRIM - REMOVAL)
(4) Remove the assist handle. (Refer to 23 - BODY/INTERIOR/ASSIST HANDLE - REMOVAL)
(5) Remove the dome light. (Refer to 8 - ELECTRICAL/LAMPS/LIGHTING - INTERIOR/CARGO
LAMP UNIT - REMOVAL)
(6) Carefully separate the headliner and remove.

Number 2 Section
(1) Disconnect and isolate battery negative cable.
(2) Remove the second and third row seats. (Refer to 23 - BODY/SEATS/SEAT - REAR - REMOVAL)

NOTE: If vehicle is not equipped with rear air conditioning unit, skip to step 8.
(3) Remove the push pin fasteners and remove the rear air front duct cover.
(4) Disconnect the electrical connector at front of cover.
(5) Remove the push pin fasteners and remove the rear air middle duct cover.
(6) Disconnect the electrical connector.
(7) Remove the three push-pins and three screws and remove the rear air cover.
(8) Remove the duct work.
(9) Release clips at front and rear of headliner and remove.

Number 3 Section
(1) Disconnect and isolate battery negative cable.
(2) Remove the third and fourth row seats. (Refer to 23 - BODY/SEATS/SEAT - REAR - REMOVAL)
NOTE: If vehicle is not equipped with rear air conditioning unit, skip to step 8.
(3) Remove the push pin fasteners and remove the rear air front duct cover.
(4) Disconnect the electrical connector at front of cover.
(5) Remove the push pin fasteners and remove the rear air middle duct cover.
(6) Disconnect the electrical connector.
(7) Remove the three push-pins and three screws and remove the rear air cover.
(8) Remove the duct work.
(9) Release clips at front and rear of headliner and remove.
========

The A pillar cover just pulls off.
REMOVAL
(1) Using a trim stick C-4755 or equivalent, separate the top of the a-pillar trim.
(2) Pull top of a-pillar trim out and pull trim up and remove. (Fig. 1)
(3) Remove the four screws and remove the foam trim support. (Fig. 2)

The B pillar is similar:
REMOVAL
(1) Remove the lower seat belt anchor bolt. (Fig. 4)
(2) Pull door opening weatherstrip away from flange along the b-pillar. (Fig. 5)
(3) Using a trim stick C-4755 or equivalent, release the trim clips and remove the trim. (Fig. 6)

have fun, post photos
--dick

Hit The Road Jack

2006 Roadhouse Sprinter
I am having a water leakage problem and the ceiling panels above the driver area are getting wet and stained. I need to remove them and find the source of the link. Can anyone tell me how to remove those panels?

I have other modifications in mond so any general info on how to remove interior panels would also be very useful?

thanks,
Dean
Why not inspect for leakage from up-top?

surlyoldbill

I think there are some available at FLAPS* in close-enough-to-work size, at least there are some at O'Reilly's.

*FLAPS= friendly local auto parts store

ElGrover

One of my side panels has been removed becuse over the years each green trim clip snapped. after much research i finally got around to ordering new clips! i got my pliers out and began removing the remnants of the broken clips only to realize that all i'm left with is a cardboard hole and not much of a way to insert the new clips. anybody have any tricks/tips on installing NEW TRIM CLIPS into existing holes in the cardboard backing of the trim pieces?

Searching on how to remove the drivers side lower rear paneling (2017 144) - there is either a hidden attachment point - or a structural item under a rear bracket adjoining the wall to the rear door frame. Very odd... It seems like this hypothetical structural element goes through the paneling under the bracket, such that when all quick tabs are removed, the panel is free to rotate around a hole (I can't quite see) under this odd bracket. Any guess? I think I'll have to remove the bracket. Seems strange MB would make you remove such a heavy-duty "import-looking" bracket to take out cosmetic paneling!

... I found it, I did have to remove the bracket, which is the internal support for the rear door bumper. The door bumper bolt goes through the paneling; they should have just made it a slot!

Last edited:

kkanuck

LUV my T1N
One of my side panels has been removed becuse over the years each green trim clip snapped. after much research i finally got around to ordering new clips! i got my pliers out and began removing the remnants of the broken clips only to realize that all i'm left with is a cardboard hole and not much of a way to insert the new clips. anybody have any tricks/tips on installing NEW TRIM CLIPS into existing holes in the cardboard backing of the trim pieces?
Just curious if you ever found a way to install new clip into the passenger panels. I too have been trying to replace a few broken ones and cannot seem to figure out how a new clip is inserted into the panel cardboard hole?

Thanks in advance for any tips

rimjaine

rimjaine

thanks,
Dean
I have had the same leakage and figure it comes from the seam across the top of the van, I have applied sealant to the seam, it works for a while but eventually starts leaking again. Last time I tried using Dap Extreme Stretch, I applied just a little and worked it into the cracks of the previous caulk sealants I've used, it's been working pretty good and we've had rain just about every other day it seems for the last month or more here in Florida this year. I wished I had used it from the start, I also used it in my home shower, it's very easy to use by the tip of your finger, just wash excess off your finger with water before it sets.
I've never tried to take the panels off the inside, I just spray a little bleach on the rust stains, thenuse a paper towel and dab at the stains, it seems to lift the stain out, I've also used my wet dry vacuum cleaner to suck the rust stain out after applying the bleach.
Later, rimjaine

Last edited:

rimjaine

rimjaine
Does anyone know the part numbers and where to buy the "push pin fasteners" for the various door panels? These are the grey ones that tend to break when removed....

Thanks
Rick
2005 T1N 3500
I've purchased the plastic push pins at Ace Hardware.
rimjaine

Top Bottom