Need backup monitor for 2008 View

NCFX4

Hi, all. I just bought a 2008 View ( 2007 Dodge ) that has no monitor because it died and the PO removed it and taped the wires. I examined the cable today and it appears to have 11 wires and grounding shield. The camera is mounted on the rear and looks OK just from an appearance standpoint. I know that the original monitor had multi functions but I was still surprised to see 11 conductors. The manual states that the camera system also has an external mic for listening to a guide so that accounts for some wiring. Has anyone replaced the monitor on this system? I’m considering going wireless but would rather use this camera and hardwire a new monitor. Any ideas what would account for the 11 conductors? I want to have a system that can be always on since I plan to tow a vehicle with it. Thanks in advance for any ideas...

Alphacarina

2006 Itasca Navion 23H
I tossed the monitor that came in my 2006 - It was an antique. Replaced it with a bluetooth dash cam I stuck on the back window and I use a 6 inch tablet for a monitor. Draws very little current and I can leave it on 24/7 if I choose

Don

I don't think I have a spare tablet to dedicate to this but I gather the route to go is wireless and pretty much anything relatively new vs. 2006 (in my case) technology, yes?

Kerryman

Hello,
Sorry for the delay in response.
Yes, we use the Costco license play backup cam to monitor our tow car and traffic close behind. It is not ideal in the method of displaying the video.
It is designed for backup. Traffic appears more distant than it really is. Overall, it does the job.

I get conflict stories on who is responsible for the MB Sprinter rear camera software. I spoke with MB factory rep last week and he says WB modifies the camera software not to display while driving. WB says that is MB decision not to display while moving forward at speed.

Due to the blind spots behind the RV I feel the need to be able to see directly behind the RV. Here in the southeast I26 and I95 we have many highspeed tailgaters who come in behind the RV to close for the mirrors to see, then jump into the passing lane with no notice. The rear cam helps
in this situation.

Best regards,
Kerry

ours is the original and it stays on all the time. At some point i found a blown reverse light fuse and when I replaced it, the camera only worked when in reverse...then it blew. I'm guessing a PO replaced the fuse with the factory spec when piggybacking the camera on that circuit calls for a larger fuse? Whatever the case, the perspective is not great (nice range, but everything looks too far away until you hit it). So, modern resolution with good color/contrast & maybe some scaled markers for distance are what I want.

I'm not worried about traffic so much, but generally I'd rather have the rear camera on all the time. I'm used to driving trucks/vehicles where you have to drive by mirrors, but I'd rather reduce risk of crashing up the RV as much as reasonable. Slow speed backing seems to be where I need it (ref my broken tail light).

turbo911

i used a backup camera lens mounted to a license plate frame from china $13 on ebay wired into radio head. power comes from backup light lens in rear. i found the factory top mount was too distorted with bad depth compared to what i have now, even has guidelines for depth

turbo911

i am thinking of mounting cameras on side mirrors wired into turnsignals so i can have better depth when i lane change or turn

I had this plan to have someone measure distances & then marking the screen w/ a sharpie. Heck, even that would be an improvement over the factory setup.

NCFX4

Thanks for all the info, Guys. It seems the consensus is that the original high mounted camera is not that great. I did buy the Costco unit yesterday and plan on installing it tomorrow. One thing I like is that it’s supposed to come on by waving or touching the monitor. I’m not sure how the view will be from the license plate versus the roof but we’ll see.
For anyone who has the original system intact do you know how many pins are in the monitor connection up front?

out of curiosity, how does the Costco offering compare to this?
https://www.crutchfield.com/p_707V207AHD/Boyo-VTC207AHD.html

This is wired, which I rather like because I find BT to be sometimes flaky & usually flaky when I really don't want it to be, but maybe I'm too old-school.

Also, this unit is intended to be mounted high like the original camera. How does this compare with the license plate mounted options? I'm hesitant to mount a camera (only) low because if I'm carrying bikes it will be mostly useless other than watching our bikes. I know, apparently I haven't followed this thread closely, but I still have trouble imagining why a high (as in the factory) mount can't accomplish what people are describing.

Last edited:

NCFX4

Today was shot and I couldn’t try out the Costco unit. I really would prefer a wired unit but not sure how the cabling would go. I think the odds of taping the new harness to the old camera wire and pulling it through the rig are probably very low. I looked at the wiring schematic on Winnebago and it takes a few turns to get up front. If I could get it to drop from the high mount to the chassis I’d run it underneath. I think the Crutchfield looks nice and great price. I like the idea of powering it on for full time viewing. Probably will be towing a Jeep. I’ve had the rig a few places for tires and alignment and backing up blind is no fun. I used to drive an aerial ladder truck but that never went into reverse unless there was a person in the mirrors and on the radio.

TJLee089

2013 Itasca Reyo 25R
I installed a GPS/wireless rear camera on my 2010 ERA years ago. The camera power was tied into the backup light on one side. Worked great.

Top Bottom