Cleaned my sticky EGR valve and now it doesn't work at all.

danderson66

My 2004 2500 only had issues going up some steeper hills in the summer heat, and not even all hills at that point. I decided to see if my EGR was beginning to gunk up. I removed it, saw that it was slightly sticky, but mostly clean. After I cleaned it, the fins snapped back successfully like they are supposed to. I replaced it and began driving, but now, my turbo wouldn't engage at all. I realized like an idiot I hadn't plugged the sensor in before starting the van. I pulled over, turned it off and plugged in the sensor. Still nothing. I unplugged the battery for over an hour and upon, restarting, it was still in full limp mode. Is there some shorted circuit? What are some things I can trouble shoot now?

Sprinterair

This OEM EGR ( By Mahler ) is not a reliable ERG and expensive to replace , I believe you need a new EGR , Experience had let me understand if your ERG start making noise , take so long to turn off after key off or taken another second time to turn it off then it is a time for new EGR , don't bother to clean it ..Sorry to see ya in trouble.

danderson66

Cleaning EGRs is a waste of time. If your coding you need to replace them. Too far gone...
Now that you say that, the videos I watched of people cleaning EGRs ended in them getting new ones anyway. But theirs were so gunked up and mine was just mildly, so I thought I'd be able to pull it off. I read that it's recommended they get cleaned every 25k mi.

danderson66

This OEM EGR ( By Mahler ) is not a reliable ERG and expensive to replace , I believe you need a new EGR , Experience had let me understand if your ERG start making noise , take so long to turn off after key off or taken another second time to turn it off then it is a time for new EGR , don't bother to clean it ..Sorry to see ya in trouble.
I'm seeing some for $120-180 on ebay and some others for over $400-500. are the lower priced ones not OEM? or are they all OEM? New to buying parts like this so it may be a dumb question. I'm not seeing anything that says "used" or "refurbished" so I'm not sure where the differences in price may come from.

Sprinterair

I am using after market EGR for $120 and bought 2 of these as spare for long trip traveler like me , prior install I did side by side visual inspect and compare , almost couldn't see the different of material casting quality , Well folks let see how it will be in the long haul.

robphxaz

I bought a cheap Chinese EGR... bad. I went with the 400$ EGR. Worked. Then GDE tune so I wouldn’t have to deal with this again. 10,000 trouble free miles and more to come, I’m sure....

Top Bottom