Spotted Thread: Post a Pic of a Sprinter Van You Spotted...

VikingTdi

Okay one other from Iceland. Tires were enormous- I saw some on 42x14.50R17 but these were bigger. Not totally sure if this was a rental but there were SO MANY enormous sprinters like this…and F-350s! There was quite a bit of lean in all the corners lol
671A5575-1250-4CB2-AA8F-CC6C2AC4FAE7.jpeg

Rocksnsalt

There Can Be Only ONE
The Jagermeister decal is a nice touch…
Hopefully they have different drivetrain gearing in those rigs. I can’t imagine how sluggish takeoff and getting over obstacles would be otherwise.
Notice the hatch rear door.
I’d love to take one of those for a spin some day!

I too will want to take a ride in one of those tundra masters when I make it to Iceland, which I surely will before much longer while I am still mobile. haha

I cannot imagine those Icelandic Sprinters going much more than 50mph and with the same engines and transmissions? Built to crawl is more like it.

A former Baja whale guide lives there and offers eco tours which I will take advantage of on my way to Portugal, Spain and Italy when and 'if' traveling safely allows. Timing is everything. Almost.

Rocksnsalt

There Can Be Only ONE
Found a video on YouTube (in Norwegian) that states that these Sprinters use Ford F-450 front axels and power steering and f-350 rear axles. Gotta beef up everything to run 49” tires!
I’m surprised they don’t just complete the setup with the appropriate Ford (or a cummins!) diesel, transmission and transfer case etc.
Yeah I know, the electronics would be a challenge. Just sayin’.

VikingTdi

No kidding. But diesel was $9.43/gallon so I suspect they prefer the little, more fuel efficient, diesels that are in the Sprinters. Although, for the costs of all the mods, what's a bit more on your fuel bill?! The transfer cases/diffs must be something besides MB though.

Rocksnsalt

There Can Be Only ONE
They should just drop the body / interior kit on a F350 or 450 4x4 complete chassis.
Yeah I know where’s either going to come from. And mpg can’t be much different for any overworked 3L that’s not allowed to idle vs a 6.7L doing what it was designed to do. Pull with miraculous 900-1000+ lb-ft of torque @1600rpm. I can’t even imagine what that kind of torque would be like in a properly set up 4x4 sprinter. Even 400 would be amazing.
Sorry for getting off topic, I’ll stop now.

Attachments

Rocksnsalt

There Can Be Only ONE
Is 398 ft-lbs close enough? If so then Renntech is an option.
Nah, I’m a stickler for 400. ?
Yes 398 would be close enough, but reading some of the issues with the Renntech, it is not appealing to me yet. Seems there are some issues to work out, which is surprising since Renntech has been a respected tuner for decades.
Surging and very high def consumption issues if I recall correctly. And I do wonder about mpg and warranty issues as well.
I’m 44k/30mos in on 140k / 7yr warranty. Not my norm to buy an extended warranty but hey it’s an MB…

I’n my experience sometimes larger displacement lumbering along is more efficient than smaller displacement being pushed. Depends on the engine and setup of course. But we have what we have and the 2023’s are of course going smaller displacement.
We’ll see how “Only the Best Will Do” works out.

Dennis @lindenengineering have anything to say about the om651?
Building a new retirement home on a lake or some choice spot in So America, or maybe just adding a 2nd level to your facility from them?

Last edited:

OffroadHamster

Rocks - you should come over and drive my van sometime, we can go hop on the 241 out to the 91 and back and you can get an idea of the "surging".

My DEF usage changed with the AEM, but not with the Renntech. My mpg increased 1.5mpg on the highway, and lost about 1mpg in town due to accelerating in an 8klb van making me giggle.

Rocksnsalt

There Can Be Only ONE
Rocks - you should come over and drive my van sometime, we can go hop on the 241 out to the 91 and back and you can get an idea of the "surging".

My DEF usage changed with the AEM, but not with the Renntech. My mpg increased 1.5mpg on the highway, and lost about 1mpg in town due to accelerating in an 8klb van making me giggle.
Glad to hear it’s working well.

Sounds almost as good as the undertray! ?

And re giggle, Awesome!

Here’s some of what I was referring to, which I know you’re aware of since you contributed.

Last edited:

Andrew_T

They should just drop the body / interior kit on a F350 or 450 4x4 complete chassis.
Yeah I know where’s either going to come from. And mpg can’t be much different for any overworked 3L that’s not allowed to idle vs a 6.7L doing what it was designed to do. Pull with miraculous 900-1000+ lb-ft of torque @1600rpm. I can’t even imagine what that kind of torque would be like in a properly set up 4x4 sprinter. Even 400 would be amazing.
Sorry for getting off topic, I’ll stop now.
Imagine ripping apart the uni-body of the sprinter with that much torque:)
People will be tempted to now pull heavy trailers with a proper engine and cracks in the body will undoubtedly happen if not downright splits in half lol
I could see that happening in a YouTube video with the title:”watch my sprinter pull a 27.000 pound excavator up Vail pass”. ?

Top Bottom