UK 2020 spare wheel cradle

bordeaux

Hello
Just changed tyres from factory 225/75/16 to 245/75/16 & the spare will not go in the cradle. Is there a kit of different size cradle available for these?

Jupiter_Shrugged

Junebug vs. Hurricane
Also, your tire size isn't that much larger... Maybe just bend to fit?!

Cheyenne

UK 2004 T1N 313CDi

Eric B

@bordeaux im surprised they would have differently sized tire cradles for US vs Europe :unsure:

I switched to 265/75R16 tire size Right after I bought my 2019 4x4 and the spare fits just fine in the stock tire cradle - no need for any mods to it

weird ...

bordeaux

Cheers for kit info. Not sure that will help because cradle isn't big enough to allow wheel to sit down flat in it, no matter how I position it the wheel is perched up on the tapered sides of the cradle. Spoke with the main stealer parts dept. and they weren't that interested (no surprises there!), said I need to give them a part # or VIN from a vehicle that came out the factory with the 245 tyres so they could find the #.

Eric B

I'll send you a PM @bordeaux
Never mind, you are not set up to receive PM / convo's ...
If you activate this feature lmk and I'll send you a VIN to use at the local parts counter

max22au

I am in Australia and our sprinters also come with 225/75R16 tyres. The US vans come with 245/75R16 tyres so their cradle is larger (different shape to the bends in the metal rods). I fitted 265/70R16 tyres, same diameter but wider than the 245/75R16. I made brackets to lower the front of the cradle. I also removed the cradle and using a large rubber mallet bent the rods on each side of the cradle which stop the tyre from moving forward (they are bent in to hold the tyre in position). I straightened them enough so the tyre fitted in. The wheel now fits - it touches the rear of the chassis when fitting but push it well forward as you lift up the cradle and it fits.

bordeaux

OK so I'm not doing something wrong, will take cradle off when it stops raining and see if I can persuade it to accept the 245 tyre.

Wyvern813

Hello
Just changed tyres from factory 225/75/16 to 245/75/16 & the spare will not go in the cradle. Is there a kit of different size cradle available for these?
Try Rhodes vans in Christchurch on the south coast...he imports allot of stuff from the US. If not try RP Motorhomes in Harrogate.

bordeaux

Cheers, didn't know anyone was doing Sprinter accessories, use to live on the south coast near their location, it's wall to wall pimped VW Transporters around there!

Wyvern813

Cheers, didn't know anyone was doing Sprinter accessories, use to live on the south coast near their location, it's wall to wall pimped VW Transporters around there!
know what you mean on the VWs....almost a plague...we just got our sprinter and have fouNds Rhodes very helpful if a little expensive.

mean_in_green

>2,000,000m in MB vans
I had some business in Bodmin recently. Possibly every VW Transporter in the UK was also in Cornwall or smoking North / South on the M5.

“Plague“ seems appropriate.

Thanks also for the Rhodes tip.

bordeaux

Eric B, Thanks again for providing your VIN, no luck with Merc UK, they couldn't bring up the VIN on their system, was your van built in Germany?

Cheyenne

UK 2004 T1N 313CDi
Eric B, Thanks again for providing your VIN, no luck with Merc UK, they couldn't bring up the VIN on their system, was your van built in Germany?
Eric's VIN will no doubt be his USA VIN and not the European VIN you need.

Try running the USA VIN through http://mbepc.net/f/vin/ or one of the other VIN decoder sites and you should get the Euro version, often called the FIN.

Keith.

Eric B

Correct @Cheyenne @bordeaux my van did indeed go through final (re?) assembly in SouthCarolina, not in Germany...
But if it's a German made van's VIN you want that is destined for the US market that is easy enough to procure ... hold on ...

2020 4x4 Built in Dusseldorf for USA market
Last 8 of VIN LP260405

Last edited:

bordeaux

Managed to get a part # 082M/A9064001141 from Eric B's VIN. Doing a google search don't get any hits for the whole part # but if I shorten it to A9064001141 I get results for mounting bow for 906 2013. Is it the same cradle for 907(VS30) & 906(NCV3)?

Eric B

Confirmed that MB p/n should start with A90... for a Sprinter specific part

A906 would mean the tire cradle on my van is indeed carryover from NCV3

If it was VS30 specific it would have started with A907

Jupiter_Shrugged

Junebug vs. Hurricane
@bordeaux I'm getting new tires (tyres in the UK!) tomorrow and removing my VS30 cradle.

You are welcome to it - just need to figure out if shipping from North Carolina (zip code) 28078 USA will be less money and easier than sourcing one in your area.

Top Bottom