2016 Sprinter Rear AC

Duke050720

I just removed the filter cover on my rear ac and noticed that something is melting. I looked online to identify the parts but can't find anything. Does anyone know what is going on here? I assume this isn't normal. Sprinter Rear AC.jpgThank you in advance!

Kajtek1

2015 3500 X long limo RV
Your pipe insulation is melting, or disintegrating.
I can only wonder why. My bus was operating in very high temperatures, yet my insulation is in good condition.

Duke050720

Your pipe insulation is melting, or disintegrating.
I can only wonder why. My bus was operating in very high temperatures, yet my insulation is in good condition.
Thank you. It definitely seems to be melting. Do you know what those pipes are? Should the pipes themselves get hot for any reason?

lindenengineering

That my friend is known as Gorilla Snot in the trade.
As an A/C bod you buy this stuff in a roll like bandage and insulate anything you want to stay Cold.
From the looks of it you need some more snot . Napa sell it ask fo Gorilla Snot they will know what you need.
Dennis

Kajtek1

2015 3500 X long limo RV
Those are refrigerant pipes.
The high pressure site might be getting warm, but did no see it above 150F.
The return is cold.
Do AC full troubleshooting just in case.

Duke050720

That my friend is known as Gorilla Snot in the trade.
As an A/C bod you buy this stuff in a roll like bandage and insulate anything you want to stay Cold.
From the looks of it you need some more snot . Napa sell it ask fo Gorilla Snot they will know what you need.
Dennis
Thank you!

Kajtek1

2015 3500 X long limo RV
Took another look at the picture and the stuff looks bad on return line,
That can't be temperature-related, so I went to check how it looks on my bus.
The stuff is tar-like substance that was probably applied by fingers on the joint, where foam insulation would not fit.
Lousy craftsmanship, but than Germany is not a country where people use AC.
Push it back around the pipes, especially the smaller one and call it a day. You can add a chunk of Styrofoam.
20201001_151438.jpg

Duke050720

The stuff is tar-like substance that was probably applied by fingers on the joint, where foam insulation would not fit.
Push it back around the pipes, especially the smaller one and call it a day. You can add a chunk of Styrofoam
Push it back around the pipes, especially the smaller one and call it a day. You can add a chunk of Styrofoam.
View attachment 155449
Thank you for looking into this for me. I feel much better about this now...was a bit concerned before.

Top Bottom