Brake pad sensors....

icarus

my pad sensor light came on in the middle of a trans continental trip. Once I got to the opposite coast, I spent a minute wiggling all the pad sensor wires to look for a break or bad plug. Don’t have the paved space to jack the vehicle up and pull the wheels . (I know the pads and rotors are fine) so i can live with the light on the return trip if needed. On a whim yesterday day, after pressure washing the house, I turned the sprayer onto the rotors and calipers with minimal pressure, all 4 wheels. Next start...no warning light. Sort of figured that there was something on one of the sensors.

Don’t know if that will work for others, but pretty easy to do.

Icarus

manwithgun

If you haven’t noticed any drop off in braking performance or increase in pedal throw, I suppose debris or some other continuity fluke may have triggered a false warning. It could also be an INNER blindside pad that is actually worn due to a frozen caliper slide pin. From personal experience, my pad sensor light came on while a quick visual inspection of the OUTER pads convinced me that everything was fine, that the sensor must be faulty. I was wrong. My issue included a pedal that was feeling soft and traveling much deeper than I remembered. Double pumping the brakes would give me a firm pedal and even “read” many forum accounts of this being a normal and acceptable characteristic of Sprinter brakes... Pulled the front wheels to discover excessive wear of the inner pads from both lower pins being frozen, with one requiring a torch to free up. Main cause was torn rubber boots which expose the greased slider to the elements. Once frozen, only the piston side pad is doing work, leaving the outer visible pad looking like new. Full brakes service and flush with new fluid and all is well. I can even hold the vehicle in drive with a fingertip using less than an inch of pedal travel.

icarus

Update. I drove the van today to take it to have the tailpipe fixed. The light is back on. While the truck was on the drive on lift at the muffler shop, i was able to check all the wires to all four sensors. Nothing really amiss. Guess I will have to properly inspect the pads both in and out. Icarus

Top Bottom