Trade dilemma

Tom Tint

Hi all, Not sure if I have posted here before..But have certainly looked through numerous threads. My situation is this. Im on my 2nd 4 cyl crew, first was a 2014 that I drove for 72K miles before I traded for a 2016 4 cyl crew,,basically the same van just 2 years newer. Both vans averaged 23/24 mpg with my driving style. My current 16 has 66K on it now and has never given me a single problem.. But its at 66k..and I don't like repairs or the thought of paying for out of warranty work. Im looking at a low roof 2020 4x4cargo with all the options..Sticker is roughly $62500.00. I drove it and like the power seats, big nav and obviously the 4x4. What I don't like is it has a horrendous drone noise at 70mph....horrible. Also on my 15 mile test drive it said avg mpg was 13.5..... So my dilemma is weather 70k is a good time to get out of a 4cyl to avoid repairs, and is there anything that can be done about the drone...and is 13/15 typical for a low roof 144 4x4?

Roamers

2020 4X4 170 Crew
I would think the model you describe should do better than my 2020 170 crew 4X4. 60 mph highway 20 mpg. 75 no headwind 18.8. 75 20 mph headwind 17.3.

Lots of people talk about drone, not an issue for mr.

D

Deleted member 50714

Have you registered for the emission class action?

I recommend waiting as long as possible to trade in your 2016 for new 2022.

This will give Mercedes-Benz time to iron out or smooth out their production line issues in South Carolina.

Then you'll have a new vehicle with all the latest firmware and hardware updates.

Tom Tint

I was told that my 4cyl was discontinued because it didn't meet current emissions in the US but have not registered for any class action suit...presumably its going to be $2.45 or less to actual owners and millions for lawyers.

D

Deleted member 50714

I was told that my 4cyl was discontinued because it didn't meet current emissions in the US but have not registered for any class action suit...presumably its going to be $2.45 or less to actual owners and millions for lawyers.
Well thank you for your edifying message of negative thinking and defeatism.

"Always better some than none."

Last edited by a moderator:
Have you registered for the emission class action?

I recommend waiting as long as possible to trade in your 2016 for new 2022.

This will give Mercedes-Benz time to iron out or smooth out their production line issues in South Carolina.

Then you'll have a new vehicle with all the latest firmware and hardware updates.
How do you register? I thought you were automatically counted in as long as you did not opt out?

Flagster

I'm confused about trading a low mileage van owned from new right? If you've maintained properly where is the scare?

I have 80K well maintained miles on my 2015 4x4...
The anticipated maintenance even with the overly dramatized emission system failures is still well below the cost of trade and new vehicle... I could probably absorb 20K over the next 2 years and still be ahead by driving my van vs buying new...

Tom Tint

I'm confused about trading a low mileage van owned from new right? If you've maintained properly where is the scare?

I have 80K well maintained miles on my 2015 4x4...
The anticipated maintenance even with the overly dramatized emission system failures is still well below the cost of trade and new vehicle... I could probably absorb 20K over the next 2 years and still be ahead by driving my van vs buying new...
70k miles seems to be the sweet spot to trade. My van I did buy new and it was low 40s , Im getting about 25k on a trade. If I keep it another 20-30k miles I think the trade will be significantly less. Its the stigma of a 'High mile" vehicle on the used market that erodes the resale ability.

marklg

It may be a pain to sell the vehicle yourself, but you almost always get way more selling it yourself than trading in. This may especially be true for the Sprinter market. I've personally seen some I was looking to buy but missed from an individual pop up at a dealer later for 30% more.

Regards,

Mark

72chevy4x4

there are a couple of packages that include additional sound deadening on the underbody and cabin I believe. I have a 4500 (non- 4x4) and it has those packages and has a great deal less noise in the cabin than my 2008 2500.

Mine came with some crappy tires that need to be balanced-that's causing some noise. Wonder how much the tires contribute to the sound?

Tom Tint

It may be a pain to sell the vehicle yourself, but you almost always get way more selling it yourself than trading in. This may especially be true for the Sprinter market. I've personally seen some I was looking to buy but missed from an individual pop up at a dealer later for 30% more.

Regards,

Mark
I would get a sales tax credit if I traded as apposed to selling. At a 25k trade value, that saves me about 1500 in sales tax I would have to pay if not trading. So in essence its more like 26500.00

Top Bottom