No Start - No Starter Sound

Wanderluster

Engine won't start, or even crank. Last thing was l left headlight switch in 'park' position a few days ago. My fault but thought modern vehicles had 'auto-off', especially since I don't recall seeing the parking lights after ignition switch was turned off and I was leaving the storage lot. Meter in the RV house showed about 10V on chassis battery. When attempted jump start, showed 12V but still absolutely no starter sound. Just clicking sound(s) from within the cab somewhere and lights on instrument panel flashing. Checked most fuses and breakers - no smoking gun. DEF is full, electrical disconnect is confirmed not disconnected. Tried replacing starter fuse with new. No change. Ideas? I really don't want to pay to have this heap towed again. Thanks in advance.

Cheyenne

UK 2004 T1N 313CDi
Where was the battery that you connected the jump start battery to, under the hood or where?

Keith.

D

Deleted member 50714

When was the last you personally removed battery terminals and clean posts?

sparkplug

The clicking and lights does sound like there's not enough power coming through.

I'd agree with charging your vehicle battery as that should hopefully fix it.

If not, then try jumping it again making sure that the vehicle you're jumping from is running as this gives you more power.

If you can jump straight to the battery rather than the posts that's better still.

RCMathis

Yes, I agree with all the above posts... Open cell voltage at 10V, that battery is "toast". It will probably never again reach full charge. Time for a new unit.

Wanderluster

Thank you everybody. Connected directly to battery in footwell from my SUV's battery, saw 13.2 to 13.4V, waited much longer this time, then cranked and engine started strong. Same strong start about half hour later after driving around and idling.

D

Deleted member 50714

Thank you everybody. Connected directly to battery in footwell from my SUV's battery, saw 13.2 to 13.4V, waited much longer this time, then cranked and engine started strong. Same strong start about half hour later after driving around and idling.
Translation; "...I cleaned the battery posts and it started..."

sparkplug

Glad to hear it's working!

If your jump posts in the engine bay looked anything like mine did then it could be a build up of dirt was impeding a proper transfer of power.

Might be worth just giving them a good clean and maybe a rub with some fine sandpaper so that you don't have to take the floor out of the cab if you ever need to do this again in future.

Top Bottom