Side steps,nerf bars... whatever you call them

Seacoaster

Hey all, my rig arrives this week. Can you post a pic of you running boards with brand name as well if you’d buy the same again. Looking for options, ideally something that won’t hold snow or ice all of the time.

asimba2

ourkaravan.com
I really like the Amp Powerstep. It folds up so you aren't dragging it off-road, yet it lowers and projects-out to make a very functional step. I've been in and out of a lot of vans at van meets and I feel it makes the best step. Most fixed steps are mounted too high with too small of a tread to be very functional.

A functional step is especially needed on a 4x4 where the plastic molded entry step is almost 24" off the ground.

Seacoaster

I really like the Amp Powerstep. It folds up so you aren't dragging it off-road, yet it lowers and projects-out to make a very functional step. I've been in and out of a lot of vans at van meets and I feel it makes the best step. Most fixed steps are mounted too high with too small of a tread to be very functional.

A functional step is especially needed on a 4x4 where the plastic molded entry step is almost 24" off the ground.
My issue with AMP surrounds my living in a place that it snows 3-4 times per week, I feel like the mechanical stuff is an issue waiting to happen in my environment. Other than that, they make complete sense.

wquek

Work in progress
If you live in a climate that has snow and they use salt and gravel, forget about power steps. They won’t last. We live in Canada and so often you see trucks with automatic steps drive around with them stuck open. Our Sprinter salesman does not recommend it either. You are better off with something fixed like Roambuilt, Rugged or Aluminess if you want steps. If you want something that preserves ground clearance, nothing better than Vancompass.

Advonture

If you live in a climate that has snow and they use salt and gravel, forget about power steps. They won’t last. We live in Canada and so often you see trucks with automatic steps drive around with them stuck open. Our Sprinter salesman does not recommend it either. You are better off with something fixed like Roambuilt, Rugged or Aluminess if you want steps. If you want something that preserves ground clearance, nothing better than Vancompass.
what is the surface composite of the Vancompass steps? i can't tell if it's a griptape type surface or if its just smooth - i can't imagine they made it smooth w no texture.

Mr. Bills

Raconteur Emeritus
I have Luverne grip steps on my recently acquired Sprinter.

Although they don't seem to be one of the "favored" brands on Sprinter forums and they are no one's idea of "pretty," they are sturdy, reasonably priced and do exactly what they are intended to do - grip, not hold snow or ice, and not contribute to tracking stuff inside.

Seacoaster

KvanZoen

Mr. Bills, I also went a slightly different way, but I think they compliment the iridium well and are perfect for Vermont winters, good grip area it’s no place for scow and ice to collect.
I’m looking at getting these for my 2020 4x4. How is the clearance on them? Any chance you could measure from ground to the bottom of them? :)

Lagom

Panic in Detroit
I've been happy with my Carr hoop steps for the front doors. They hardly stick out past the tires so they haven't caught on things (unlike the nerf bars on my truck that are both bent back about an inch from getting caught). Ground clearance is about 7", and they reduce the step down by about half. Installation took less than two hours, and I tend to be pretty pokey and inefficient in projects.

My wife tends to run the rear wheels over curbs, so I have not installed one on the sliding door.

Mr. Bills

Raconteur Emeritus
I’m looking at getting these for my 2020 4x4. How is the clearance on them? Any chance you could measure from ground to the bottom of them? :)
It will be a week or so before I can measure. My Sprinter is in storage and I'm 600 miles away. I'll try not to forget.

KvanZoen

It will be a week or so before I can measure. My Sprinter is in storage and I'm 600 miles away. I'll try not to forget.
Just an FYI that I a local outfitter said it's about 12" of clearance underneath. And another person on this Forum also mentioned that clearance has not been an issue with these. That's all I needed to know. I think I'll go for these.

I've been happy with my Carr hoop steps for the front doors. They hardly stick out past the tires so they haven't caught on things (unlike the nerf bars on my truck that are both bent back about an inch from getting caught). Ground clearance is about 7", and they reduce the step down by about half. Installation took less than two hours, and I tend to be pretty pokey and inefficient in projects.

My wife tends to run the rear wheels over curbs, so I have not installed one on the sliding door.
Which ones? Any pics. I just don’t want ones that flex my rocker metal.

Top Bottom