Load spaces in crew vans

yetiuk

Greetings Folks!.......and diving in with a first question!

New van on the horizon between now and beginning of next year and without driving round dealers with a tape measure can anyone help me with a sizing issue?

I'll tell you what I'm after so it makes sense. It's a simple one....

Can anyone with a crew set up (2nd row only) with or without bulkhead give me a load length that's left in a L2 and L3. I'm hoping to still get full sheet materials in the back (flat) with 2nd row of seats without going up to the L3. I know I could effectively put seats where I like but I'm referring to 'factory fitted'. Push comes to shove I can secure them vertically as I only intend putting 2 seats in the back but may end up with the x3 bench seat.

Cheers

RVBarry

Hi, sorry I'm not familiar with the L2 / L3 designations.

144 wheelbase:
Cargo Bed Length:103.5" (262.9cm)
170 wheelbase:
Cargo Bed Length:144.3" (366.5cm)

yetiuk

Cheers Barry(?) :thumbup:

Yeah sorry they are just UK (euro) sizes. SWB (L2) is the 144, LWB (L3) is the 170 & the L4 over here is just the 170 with the mahoooosive bit hangin off the back.

Thanks for that anyway. Just the job. Looks like I'll get away with the shorter wheelbase which is what I want.

The extra room is always nice but it would just be a pain for me for day to day.

Is that up to the back of the chairs or the bulkhead? Sorry if it seems a daft question but I'm not familiar with the internal layout of these and don't know if they have much space behind the seats or hard up to the bulkhead. I have hunted high and low for these dimensions today but only found the general layout dimensions of the panel van.

yetiuk

.....ah! pay attention at the back!........:rolleyes:

merc crew cab dims.JPG

Didn't find it first time round....:thumbup:

I'm guessing it would be normally quoted with the bulkhead.

RVBarry

Is that up to the back of the chairs or the bulkhead?
Hi, I'm almost certain it is to the back of the crew bench seats.

You can see overall dimension diagrams without the seat at
They show 123" for an empty 144 (plus another 5" in the center of the rear doors).
19.5" for the seat and legroom seems low to me, but maybe the 103.5" is to the bottom of the seat mounts.

Last edited:

pfflyer

170"wb not extended there is plenty of room for sheet goods. I don't have exact measurements but around 12' floor space behind the crew bench sounds right and around 14' behind front seats.

yetiuk

Hi, I'm almost certain it is to the back of the crew bench seats.

You can see overall dimension diagrams without the seat at
They show 123" for an empty 144 (plus another 5" in the center of the rear doors).
19.5" for the seat and legroom seems low to me, but maybe the 103.5" is to the bottom of the seat mounts.
:unsure: yeah seems short.

I have a LWB VW Transporter with the same set up and that comes in at about 70.5" (180cm) load area with rear seats. I have a full half height parcel shelf on gas struts (for when I'm not moving 8ft sheets) so have to fold the seat down to slide sheets in above them and chuck everything else underneath if I have sheets in.

The 2nd row seats and legroom in the VW is close to 36"?!

Hmm :unsure: I only need that extra 25"!! for my van to stay a van!! without messing about folding seats and half heights for sliding sheets in and out.

yetiuk

170"wb not extended there is plenty of room for sheet goods. I don't have exact measurements but around 12' floor space behind the crew bench sounds right and around 14' behind front seats.
Yeah with the 170 everything I need would sail in no bother :thumbup: but its just not a practical length for all the uses it sees. Just trying to 'get away' with the 144 if I can is all ;). Not to mention the body shop bills for a 170 when the Mrs tries to park/drive it :whistle: (Spanish see.....🤫)

Top Bottom