AAA vs Good Sam

Vantastic.pa

Which does everyone use, if any or different place. I have a 170 2016 sprinter. And when purchasing do you need to have the rv plan or is the car fine since it isn't a rv from factory?

Roamers

2020 4X4 170 Crew
AAA. It's been a long time since I made the decision, but think I did the RV plan because I had a pop-up so the RV plan added trailer coverage. Didn't consider others because of lack of knowledge of others and convenience of AAA office.

avanti

2022 Ford Transit 3500
Some things to note about AAA RV coverage:
1) AAA is not a single organization, it is s confederation of dozens of local auto "clubs". The details of coverage vary by location, and there are even some places in the US where there is no RV coverage at all (last I checked). If you broke down in such a place, you would be on your own (although I think your local "club" would reimburse you -- not sure)
2) Typical AAA RV plans limit your free towing dramatically. 100 (!) miles is typical. Many of the others are unlimited.
3) Typical AAA RV plans limit the # of claims/year. Typically to 4. Many of the others are unlimited.
4) They are quite expensive.
5) If you care: AAA engages in a lot of lobbying that many people consider to be anti-environmental.

There are many alternatives. The most obvious are Good Sam, Allstate, and Coach Net.
Good Sam is just a reseller of Allstate (which does not require Allstate car insurance). They are virtually identical.

Over the years, I have tried them all. I have settled on Coach Net. Very good customer service; they cover all your vehicles (so you don't need AAA auto coverage), including things like motorcycles, etc.; They cover family members at no additional cost; unlimited tows; unlimited mileage per tow.

Allstate/Good Sam is ok, too. AAA (IMO) is a non-starter.

Roamers

2020 4X4 170 Crew
Looks like time to investigate. Never an issue, never needed more than 100 miles, but better for less $ is a good thing!

avanti

2022 Ford Transit 3500
It is worth noting that, when you are standing by the side of the road, it makes very little difference WHO you are paying. With the exception of a (very) small number of AAA-owned trucks in a few urban areas, you are going to draw from exactly the same pool of local independent towing services. The servicer will be great or awful, depending on the luck of the draw and what else is going on around you.

What DOES matter is the quality of the call center that manages your call. A guy in Bangalore might have a more difficult time handling unusual situations than a US call center.

Roamers

2020 4X4 170 Crew
What DOES matter is the quality of the call center that manages your call. A guy in Bangalore might have a more difficult time handling unusual situations than a US call center.
Thoughts on which organizations use out of country call centers?

Every call I have made to AAA has been top notch; never had a bad experience with any tow company.

Funny story: one cold winter trip we were on the road with two family vehicles about 85 miles from home. One car was leaving the restaurant to head to college, the other was paying the bill and heading home. The college bound car called me and said they just got on the highway and the car stopped working. I said call AAA get it towed home and take another car to school. 10 minutes later we went out and our car didn't start. Called AAA to get a tow home and waited. Hour later neither of us had a tow. Called AAA and when 2 calls were received on the same account within 15 minutes they canceled because they thought we had bought cars at auction and were looking for free transport to another city. Within 15 minutes there was a flatbed for 2 vehicles picking vehicles up along with a limo shuttle to transport us all home.

avanti

2022 Ford Transit 3500
Thoughts on which organizations use out of country call centers?
Not really. I have been with Coach Net for a long time now. They specifically advertise that their call center is US based. I have had bad experiences with others in the past, but it was long enough ago that I hesitate to repeat them, since things may have improved.

bored

I use nationwide because I own two homes and have 5 cars. The coverage for one car and 5 cars is only about a 20% difference. Why. You can't drive two cars at the same time. They also have discounts if you insure multiple plans (home and car) with them.

I also pay the $120 a year for AAA tow package. Why? They are quick. Nationwide is not as consistently fast because they don't have their own tow trucks. On a hot day or remote area I want the tow as soon as possible so I call them.

BTW...AAA offers one 200 mile distance tow a year at no additional cost but I think you need the premium which was an additional $ 20.00

Kajtek1

2015 3500 X long limo RV
What coverage are you comparing?
Basic AAA coverage covers like 5 miles car towing and is not design for RVs.

bored

What coverage are you comparing?
Basic AAA coverage covers like 5 miles car towing and is not design for RVs.
They have never said anything when I towed my sprinter. I also didn't make a point of saying RV. I simply said I need my 2005 Dodge Sprinter towed and requested a flat bed.

avanti

2022 Ford Transit 3500
I also pay the $120 a year for AAA tow package. Why? They are quick. Nationwide is not as consistently fast because they don't have their own tow trucks. On a hot day or remote area I want the tow as soon as possible so I call them.
Please see message #5 above.

AAA does not have their own tow trucks, either. They DO have marketing arrangements that gets their logo on lots of trucks, but this is pure marketing hype. You may well get one of those trucks from any other provider.

As I said, one or two AAA "clubs" do own a tiny number of trucks in a few urban areas, but it is de minimus. The idea that you will get faster or better service from AAA is pure myth. All that matters are the skill of the call center, the quality of the local providers, and the weather.

Kajtek1

2015 3500 X long limo RV
They have never said anything when I towed my sprinter. I also didn't make a point of saying RV. I simply said I need my 2005 Dodge Sprinter towed and requested a flat bed.
What coverage you have and how many miles you were towed?
There is lot of variations how Sprinters are used.
My rough calculation shows that Sprinter with roof AC, loaded on flatbed will exceed 13-6" height allowed on public roads without oversize procedure.
It might be up to the tow truck driver if he will make an issue out of that, or use detours to avoid low clearances.

turbodave

Central Maine/Summer Somewhere Warm/Winter
I canceled AAA RV coverage after they refused to tow my Sprinter when it was in LHM. I've since used Good Sam when it was stuck in the mud.
YMMV
Dave

bored

Please see message #5 above.

AAA does not have their own tow trucks, either. They DO have marketing arrangements that gets their logo on lots of trucks, but this is pure marketing hype. You may well get one of those trucks from any other provider.

As I said, one or two AAA "clubs" do own a tiny number of trucks in a few urban areas, but it is de minimus. The idea that you will get faster or better service from AAA is pure myth. All that matters are the skill of the call center, the quality of the local providers, and the weather.
In California...

AAA may or may not own the companies. I haven't asked that question but I have always been told they only tow for AAA and I would need to call them for a tow when trying to arrange a tow for a non-opp project car I am purchasing that I am not the registered owner. I haven't always been successful arranging a tow with AAA in those conditions. After its in my name AAA will always tow.

I am going to disagree because it hasn't been my experience and I tow 5-20 cars a year depending on project load.

Last edited:

bored

What coverage you have and how many miles you were towed?
There is lot of variations how Sprinters are used.
My rough calculation shows that Sprinter with roof AC, loaded on flatbed will exceed 13-6" height allowed on public roads without oversize procedure.
It might be up to the tow truck driver if he will make an issue out of that, or use detours to avoid low clearances.
I have the premium road side assistance program.... Whatever the $120 a year buys you. Its on yearly auto-pay so I can't recall what its called EXACTLY. My car wasn't fully loaded at the time but it was registered as an RV. They have never asked the height.

I should look into this after its finished because would hate to have the top ripped off. :)

avanti

2022 Ford Transit 3500

Then there's AAA, probably the most famous provider of roadside assistance. AAA is a group of more than 50 independently operated motor clubs with a total membership of 52 million. Each motor club works with local towing companies to provide roadside assistance with its members, and has a reciprocal agreement with every other motor club. Some AAA clubs cover metro areas with their own tow trucks and use private towing companies to cover the rest of the area they handle.

avanti

2022 Ford Transit 3500
I have the premium road side assistance program.... Whatever the $120 a year buys you. Its on yearly auto-pay so I can't recall what its called EXACTLY. My car wasn't fully loaded at the time but it was registered as an RV. They have never asked the height.

I should look into this after its finished because would hate to have the top ripped off. :)
If you strategy is to not get caught, so be it. But, I am pretty darn sure that you will find that you are not covered for RV towing.

Roamers

2020 4X4 170 Crew
We have Premium RV I think it is $120 for my wife and I. We have never had a service refusal; AAA is a person membership, not a vehicle membership. I had a customer lock their keys in their car, AAA paid for the open when I called and presented my card. I was traveling with a friend and he needed a tow. Presented my card and away we went.

avanti

2022 Ford Transit 3500
We have Premium RV I think it is $120 for my wife and I. We have never had a service refusal; AAA is a person membership, not a vehicle membership. I had a customer lock their keys in their car, AAA paid for the open when I called and presented my card. I was traveling with a friend and he needed a tow. Presented my card and away we went.
Where are you located? As I said, cost and coverage vary by location. I have never seen Premium RV for $120, but maybe that is the price in some areas.

This is more typical:

In this "club", AAA Premier for two people costs $167/year and RV/Motorcycle coverage is an additional $37/year, which totals to $204/year. (see Pricing details)

For that, you get up to four service calls/year (total for ALL your vehicles, not for each), one of which may be 200 miles, and the other three are 100 miles. However, if you have an RV, the following also applies:
Any of your 4 allowable service calls per membership year may be used for RV/motorcycle tows, extrication and winching and RV tire changes. Up to $500 per service call; $1,000 annual max. per household
Not going to get you very far if you are out West and need a tow to a Mercedes dealer.

CoachNet has no such limits, not mileage, nor dollar amount, nor number of events/year. Moreover, they will take you to the nearest repair facility qualified to work on your vehicle. AAA does not.

I have no motivation to shill for CoachNet or Good Sam or Nationwide, but compared to any of them, AAA RV coverage is a bad joke.

Roamers

2020 4X4 170 Crew
My bad, $146 for Plus Premier RV. AAA Chicago Motor club. Same price as when we lived in Iowa with the Minneapolis Motor Club.

Not locked to AAA and will look at others. Just saying never really had a problem with AAA.

Top Bottom