Diesel Heater Install - Cold Weather Camping 2006 Sprinter

isdehart

We have an Espar Airtronic D2 going under the passenger seat.
How to tap into the fuel line?
No auxiliary fuel hose from the tank.
No oem heater booster.
I'm thinking about putting a T adapter on the fuel filter inlet hose.
Something like in this video (
) See 5:14
Thoughts?
Thanks in advance.

Alphacarina

2006 Itasca Navion 23H
Another option might be to install a small 1 or 2 gallon fuel can (something like a Rotopax?) and run your heater off that. The little Espar heaters put out so much heat that in a van you'll be running it on low and a gallon of fuel might last you 2 or 3 days. Could be a simpler, more problem free install?? If it didn't work out the way you want, you could always switch to running it off the van fuel at a later date

Don

Colorado_Al

We have an Espar Airtronic D2 going under the passenger seat.
How to tap into the fuel line?
No auxiliary fuel hose from the tank.
No oem heater booster.
I'm thinking about putting a T adapter on the fuel filter inlet hose.
Something like in this video (
) See 5:14
Thoughts?
Thanks in advance.
Bad idea to put a T in the main fuel line on a 2006. In tank fuel pump is about 45-60psi and it will damage the heater fuel pump.
You'll need to drop the tank and put a second standpipe through the top of the pump into the tank.

mean_in_green

>2,000,000m in MB vans
Or fit a small dedicated fuel tank, but definitely do not cut the factory fuel line. Yes, people do it but it’s bad practice as it introduces weaknesses in the - usually poorly made - connections and air entering into the fuel supply.

Dropping the factory tank to fit a stand pipe is easier than installing the heater and figuring out the wiring.

Nautamaran

2004 140” HRC 2500 (Crewed)
Agreed! I’ll add: do NOT drill through the tank carcass. The hole will create a weak point that can split. Drill only through the top of the pump module. There are nice 90-degree dip tubes by Wabasto that clamp down through the module top perfectly
(Webasto 5000553A)

-dave

frome

Having a separate tank means it's also cheaper to run on red diesel, Kerosene or domestic heating oil.

Nautamaran

2004 140” HRC 2500 (Crewed)
I’d be shy of burning dyed diesel in an Espar: I believe I read of the residue buggering up the combustion screen?
#2 heating fuel or kerosene run great though.

Also be careful of tank placement. The pump and burner need to be above the fuel tank or fuel will syphon into the system.

There is a cavity in the curb-side B-pillar (symetric with fuel fill on driver’s side) that is well suited to hold a gallon or two?

Good luck,

-dave

Top Bottom