Nova Kool frig. temperatures

If you were buying a Nova Kool refrigerator/freezer, two doors, what temperatures should you expect to see so you know your unit is working properly?
Thanks

SSTraveler

2014 LTV Unity Murphy Bed
If you have a single compressor refrigerator/freezer model like the NovaKool RFU6800 with a single Danfoss BD35F compressor, you'll be lucky to see lower than 40° refrigerator and 20° freezer in outside temperatures of +90°. A dual compressor model like the RFU6406D will get 36° and 0°. There are a bunch of posts about NovaKool on the Leisure Travel Vans, Unity section of this Forum if you search. Here is one that may interest you, https://sprinter-source.com/forums/index.php?threads/34762/page-4#post-905907. If you haven't purchased yours yet and are considering a 5 liter or larger, I highly recommend a 2 compressor model because NovaKool uses the smaller Danfoss BD35F compressors, therefore it takes 2, one for freezer and one for refrigerator, to really perform well in summer temperatures of +90°. You might consider Isotherm Refrigerators, their Cruise 165 and 219 models use the Danfoss BD50F larger compressor. I went with the 219 and it stays at 36° and 0° on a setting of 3.25 out of 7.

Last edited:
If you have a single compressor refrigerator/freezer model like the NovaKool RFU6800 with a single Danfoss BD35F compressor, you'll be lucky to see lower than 40° refrigerator and 20° freezer. A dual compressor model like the RFU6406D will get 36° and 0°. There are a bunch of posts about NovaKool on the Leisure Travel Vans, Unity section of this Forum if you search. Here is one that may interest you, https://sprinter-source.com/forums/index.php?threads/34762/page-4#post-905907. If you haven't purchased yours yet and are considering a 5 liter or larger, I highly recommend a 2 compressor model because NovaKool uses the smaller Danfoss BD35F compressors, therefore it takes 2, one for freezer and one for refrigerator, to really perform well in summer temperatures of +90°. You might consider Isotherm Refrigerators, their Cruise 165 and 219 models use the Danfoss BD50F larger compressor. I went with the 219 and it stays at 36° and 0° on a setting of 3.25 out of 7.
If you have a single compressor refrigerator/freezer model like the NovaKool RFU6800 with a single Danfoss BD35F compressor, you'll be lucky to see lower than 40° refrigerator and 20° freezer. A dual compressor model like the RFU6406D will get 36° and 0°. There are a bunch of posts about NovaKool on the Leisure Travel Vans, Unity section of this Forum if you search. Here is one that may interest you, https://sprinter-source.com/forums/index.php?threads/34762/page-4#post-905907. If you haven't purchased yours yet and are considering a 5 liter or larger, I highly recommend a 2 compressor model because NovaKool uses the smaller Danfoss BD35F compressors, therefore it takes 2, one for freezer and one for refrigerator, to really perform well in summer temperatures of +90°. You might consider Isotherm Refrigerators, their Cruise 165 and 219 models use the Danfoss BD50F larger compressor. I went with the 219 and it stays at 36° and 0° on a setting of 3.25 out of 7.
Thanks for the reply. Well, last night I had to put ours Nova Kool to the test since our kitchen house frig. went out. With an outside temperature of 70 degrees, our Nova Kool refrigerator was below freezing since our milk had ice in it and the freezer drawer was ~14 F. This was the 6400D (single compressor) set to its lowest setting. I think I can live with that. A duel compressor would be another $1000!

SSTraveler

2014 LTV Unity Murphy Bed
If you are using it in the house it should work fine, as long as it operates in a temperature controlled environment of 70-75° with plenty of ventilation. But in an RV or camper vans, when its above +90° outside and the sun is shining on the refrigerator side wall then it struggles to cool. Coachmen uses the 6400 in their Class B van builds and the owner complain tremendously that it just doesn't perform in high summer temperatures. Forest River/Coachmen has issued lots of Service Bulletins trying to devise modifications to get the NovaKool to perform better and the fundamental issue is their single BD35F compressor models just don't have the cooling capacity to over come the high ambient temperature environment of RVs and Vans in +90° summer heat.

If you are using it in the house it should work fine, as long as it operates in a temperature controlled environment of 70-75° with plenty of ventilation. But in an RV or camper vans, when its above +90° outside and the sun is shining on the refrigerator side wall then it struggles to cool. Coachmen uses the 6400 in their Class B van builds and the owner complain tremendously that it just doesn't perform in high summer temperatures. Forest River/Coachmen has issued lots of Service Bulletins trying to devise modifications to get the NovaKool to perform better and the fundamental issue is their single BD35F compressor models just don't have the cooling capacity to over come the high ambient temperature environment of RVs and Vans in +90° summer heat.
Thanks, My unit is built in, so on my build in I plan to add at least another inch of insulation on four sides and have very open ventilation back to the garage and under cabinet area.

I have the NovaKool 9000 double door, single compressor unit. I think 9.2 cuft. What I have found works well is I added a half inch of insulation on the bottom of the refer compartment and a small battery opperated circulation fan sitting on the bottom shelf. . I also moved one of the pull outs up and use it for veggies. Bottom shelf is for the other pull out with meats and beer/soda along side of that.

This has allowed me to turn the dial down to 4+ Which gives me 36* most of the time and not have things in the fridge freeze and keep the freezer below 10*. Still a bit of a struggle to keep ice cream hard but will freeze ice quickly.

I added 1"-2" of insulation all around at instal and I have recently figured out how I can add a bit more insulation to the door without it looking like a hack job. Warmest spot in the fridge is the top shelf of the door at about 42*. I don't keep mayo there.

I like it, average energy use is about 50ah per 24 hrs. So about 2a per hour average

It holds two weeks worth of food with room to spare

Edit: it is 82* here right now with the sun beating on the fridge side of the box and those temp numbers are holding true

Top Bottom