HUGE EMISSION SYSTEM RECALL COMING DOWN THE PIKE. STAY TUNED!!!! 906 CHASSIS SPRINTERS WITH 642 ENGINE

marklg

I wish they were kicking out nitrous oxide!!! We had a tank back in the day, crazy kids...

I think the gas is the family of Nitrogen Oxides, aka NOx. We made a fair chunk of change flipping tdi's on the VW "scandal", hopefully it works out that way for you Mercedes customers!
When the government mandates something, very often someone makes big bucks off it. Often it is someone who helped get the thing mandated. Government is almost always slower responding and does not consider unintended consequences. A smart and agile person can and usually does use that to make a few bucks, perfectly legally. So, if I had one, I would not sell it at this time.

Regards,

Mark

Dima74

Independent & Self Reliant - From Chattanooga TN
That's nothin. Here is the Mother of all auto
emission recalls.

We'll use a rocket engine... No internal combustion... It will be all external

Mike DZ

2016 View 24V (2015 3500)
I wish they were kicking out nitrous oxide!!! We had a tank back in the day, crazy kids...

I think the gas is the family of Nitrogen Oxides, aka NOx.
Absolutely correct - nitrogen not nitrous, darn auto correct.

lindenengineering

When the government mandates something, very often someone makes big bucks off it. Often it is someone who helped get the thing mandated. Government is almost always slower responding and does not consider unintended consequences. A smart and agile person can and usually does use that to make a few bucks, perfectly legally. So, if I had one, I would not sell it at this time.

Regards,

Mark
Mark Lovely post Love--ly!! :devilish:

One thing to remember is that most people in Gov are from an Arts back ground, economics, law, etc.
Trying to discuss projects or something technical by someone from an engineering background goes right over their heads . At best they will appear to be intensely interested and pay lip service to i!
From my limited exchanges with UK Gov officials it was starkly apparent that the army of civil servants they have in the shadows, filter the topic down to a "study paper" for their level of understanding or political agenda . Consequently policies and directive are formed as part of that policy agenda to overcome certain negatives and downsides, these are rarely mentioned within the body of the text ; often for expediency reasons and relegated if necessary to an addendum if it is lucky!
The UK Gov Diesel Dash was one such fiasco (of many ) that anyone who deals with diesel engines in civi street, would see that it was a deeply flawed policy.
I have other examples of acts of commercial & wasteful approaches at the taxpayer's expense as "Overseas Aid" & from my own personal experiences that were simply brushed aside as "Oh Well, never mind! Pink Gins anyone ?" (I will meet you at the bar later ).:LOL:

Now don't think for one minute that the US Gov is any better in fact maybe worse!
When discussing topics with Ambassadors & Attaches the comment is usually one of a universal theme.
Oh yes we make agreements & treaties with the United States even memorandums of understanding but they go and pursue their own agenda!
I remember discussing one commercial topic over Cummins engines and generators!
The official was strained to explain a concise explanation, so at one point in the discussion I replied
Don't worry Minister (Wazier) I understand the United States is pursuing it own agenda as usual.
Ah yes Mr." Williams you understand then!
How you say in nice British language? "LOVELY"!:LOL:
Dennis

P.S UK Gov at its best, don't laugh too hard! FFS
Could be interpreted as having latter day dumb blondes in Gov --think about that!:devilish::mad:
The Diesel Dash:-

Last edited:

marklg

Actually, I've run into some very competent government types in the accident investigation field. NTSB, Transport Canada, UK, Brazil, Europe, especially the French and a few others. They are generally top notch technical people, and just want to figure out what went wrong, no matter who is to blame. Unfortunately, they only come into the picture after a few hundred people have been killed. For a lot of other countries, those people have a definite agenda.

Regards,

Mark

lindenengineering

Actually, I've run into some very competent government types in the accident investigation field. NTSB, Transport Canada, UK, Brazil, Europe, especially the French and a few others. They are generally top notch technical people, and just want to figure out what went wrong, no matter who is to blame. Unfortunately, they only come into the picture after a few hundred people have been killed. For a lot of other countries, those people have a definite agenda.

Regards,

Mark
Yes Mark.
The Technical types but the Political types as Americans call the Ivy League folk and the Brits call the Oxbridge lot honed and nurtured by Eaton & Harrow are something else!
Then when you get to the French and their Sorbonne political types, there is a distinct division within the political elite classes.
An example is the French political elite establishment and their attitude to past President Sarkozy.
You have to meander down the route of the Chancery characterized by the distinctly British or American embassies/diplomatic missions to understand some of this !

Dennis

Last edited:

socaspvn

Pleasure to meet you.
Maybe you can help. For over 5-years, many Bluetec owner's report failure of the SCR related "NO START COUNTDOWN" messsge to reset as advertised in Owner's Manual.

View attachment 155500
Expect the counter message to display when you have failures of certain components of the DEF system. It is not always a reset like the owners manual says. Poor efficiency of the SCR will cause a countdown regardless of the DEF level. Once the countdown is on and you have confirmed fluid level is full it is important to have a dealer diagnose the malfunction and not have it "reset" as it deletes the root cause of the countdown.

Bobnoxious

GONE FISHING
Expect the counter message to display when you have failures of certain components of the DEF system. It is not always a reset like the owners manual says. Poor efficiency of the SCR will cause a countdown regardless of the DEF level.
Sounds like an easy firmware fix.

We do not know what will be replaced or if refunds will be issued for repairs but this is coming very soon. I expect letters to be mailed out the first few weeks of November and have parts available to dealers by Jan. I would suggest you start to gather receipts for out of pocket repairs to emission component in case they refund. I will keep you guys posted if I get more info. If any of you have questions about anything Sprinter related please feel free to reach out. My network is unrivaled.
Curious, who is "you" and "we", and will you kindly provide a point of contact to submit a complaint, because the same 2015 Owner's Manual advertises a dash light should come on when DPF is regenerating.

I'm convinced any settlement should include vehicle lifetime parts and labor, transferable emissions systems warranty. Anything less, consumers victimized twice.

Bobnoxious

GONE FISHING
The SCR Cat is what I and many call the "bazooka tube", its scientific term is decomposition reactor.
On a Bluetech Sprinter its part of the final exhaust treatment system that is supposed to be categorized as a Free Flowing Catalyzer. .
It can be observed by its distinctive double bulge long tube appearance amidships under the van.

As a foot note and in no way resembling the MB exhaust treatment system is the Renault truck alternative.
It does everything the MB Bluetec system does with a few changes. One signature feature of Renault position on this, is the adoption of an easy removal the filter for periodic maintenance.

Here is a description of what the SCR Cat does in graphic animated terms and being being part of a compact system. The MB Bluetech system is essentially the same on commonly adopted theme.
Dennis

Thanks, I like the easy DPF maintenance.

lindenengineering

Expect the counter message to display when you have failures of certain components of the DEF system. It is not always a reset like the owners manual says. Poor efficiency of the SCR will cause a countdown regardless of the DEF level. Once the countdown is on and you have confirmed fluid level is full it is important to have a dealer diagnose the malfunction and not have it "reset" as it deletes the root cause of the countdown.
Overall the current manufactures with modern diesel platforms in US are very "Mumm" about the actual life of SCR Catalyzers.
Having changed out countless numbers over ten years --yes ten years, & some salient issues are relevant and noted by shop stats .
The unit might causally look the same (until recently) but the guts is under change or revision.
Some of the monolith is salvageable on SOME discarded units when some are plainly not!
It fairly obvious to us that the interior monolith gets a wash coat of a zeolite & other metal compounds simply "age" over time.
That aging is affected by service use and how the rig is driven, trip cycles etc.
On thing is certain it doesn't like cold running conditions which accelerates aging.
Other conditions like DEF fluid deposits and combustion related particles only accelerates its further decline in conversion efficiency.
Overall the efficiency of a new SCR has changed from a comfortable 75 to 80% conversion rate on average up to today's new SCR cats are giving a 95% NOx conversion rates .
Later engines seem to act with much responsive load reactions times when going off low throttle conditions, to punching the pedal or goosing it, and watch the conversion rate react extremely quickly these days compared to the olden stuff.
Currently we see 130,000 to180,000 mile life spans and failures, that fall into that category demanding replacement.
Average cost without NOx sensors is $2200 for a Bluetec Sprinter

As I have posted from obtained Renault documents, being one of the few companies that is forthcoming on these SCR cat life spans. It is obvious to me that French car manufacturers who will have no truc with US imports at all! Hence they have no skin in the game to be secretive about what goes into these treatment systems..
And so it marches on!
Dennis

Last edited:

lindenengineering

So!
Since there have been no comments I suggest the forum members are are akin to Ostriches--American Ostriches if such a species exists!!
So a question on all this ?
Who runs on bio diesel blends with ULSD?
In fact , who runs B20 biodiesel regularly in their emission controlled diesel or Sprinter?
Studies by a group of SAE sponsored Chinese engineers and backed up by studies at the NREL (just down the road from me) might just ruffle those Sprinter owing tail feathers stuck up in the wind !:devilish:
Dennis

ctmcdaniel

Cross Member
I'm thinking back over the last five or six years and biodiesels pretty rare at the auto pumps that I mostly fill up at when I'm out in the western states like Colorado.

I don't think I see biodiesel on hardly any pumps on the East coast I'm in the Philadelphia region.

Actually Dennis I don't understand what you're asking and I'm trying to.

Are you saying biodiesel is going to mess up the laminar airflow on my tail feathers.

Confused your loyal customer

Tom

elemental

Wherever you go, there you are.
In short there is strong evidence to suggest B20 (a blended with ULSD fuel) is detrimental to your emission system.
Judging from some of the fuel discussion threads I've seen, there are many people who aren't surprised at news like this, and they certainly don't have their heads in the sand. Lots of discussions about whether you can trust the labeling on pumps, etc. Most people seem to want to stay away from anything with higher content than B5, and some want nothing but pure dino diesel.

Roamers

2020 4X4 170 Crew
At 5500 miles, based on pump stickers, I have only had to pump >B5 twice. Some regions have no obvious choice. A network of < B5 pumpers that had a website would get my business; and probably a lot of others. Just look at the frustration on many forums.

Top Bottom