dpf load values and regeneration

72chevy4x4

I pulled up the dpf screen on the dash and it started off at 58% two days ago and it's up to 72% today.

at what point does it go into regeneration?

Kajtek1

2015 3500 X long limo RV
It should at 100%, but beware about few things.
-you need some min fuel level for regeneration to take place
-on my Sprinter the soot goes from 0 to 60% pretty slowly, only to gain last 40% in very short period
-some driving conditions, like climbing the hills make for self-regeneration, what will change the numbers.

elemental

Wherever you go, there you are.
I pulled up the dpf screen on the dash and it started off at 58% two days ago and it's up to 72% today.

at what point does it go into regeneration?
My 2017 NCV3 typically goes into regen after hitting 103% as shown on my ScanGauge II (the 2017 van didn't have a built-in DPF% display). The DPF% numbers do not appear to correlate linearly with driving distance or even conditions; mine will climb pretty quickly after a regen up to about 70%, then fluctuate up and down depending on power loading. Heavy power usage like climbing hills can make it run backwards, sometimes a little (couple of percent), sometimes a lot (10 percent or more). Eventually it creeps up and when it gets to 103% regeneration happens.

Roamers

2020 4X4 170 Crew
I'm on a trip now still determining normal. 100% = regen time. 14 minutes to complete = 0%. It seems like 0 to 50 goes pretty fast. 50 to 60 is pretty slow. 2% increase = 10 miles from 60 to 100%. This is all highway at 60 to 75 mph.

Roamers

2020 4X4 170 Crew
UPDATED WITH BETTER INFORMATION:

I'm on a trip now still determining normal. 100% = regen time. 14 minutes to complete = 0%. It seems like 0 to 60 goes pretty fast; then it decreases to 48%. 2% increase = 10 miles from (second) 48 to 100%. This is all highway at 60 to 75 mph.

The quick up to 60% and drop back to 48% was missed before. Does it everytime now that I noticed it. My original observation that 50 to 60% was slow, probably because I didn't see the drop to 48 and back up before.

Roamers

2020 4X4 170 Crew
I didn't check my actuals (record book is in the van), but 50 2%s X 10 miles is 500 miles. So seems to align.

D

Deleted member 50714

UPDATED WITH BETTER INFORMATION:

I'm on a trip now still determining normal. 100% = regen time. 14 minutes to complete = 0%. It seems like 0 to 60 goes pretty fast; then it decreases to 48%. 2% increase = 10 miles from (second) 48 to 100%. This is all highway at 60 to 75 mph.

The quick up to 60% and drop back to 48% was missed before. Does it everytime now that I noticed it. My original observation that 50 to 60% was slow, probably because I didn't see the drop to 48 and back up before.
How's performance? What are these values? From instrument cluster?

Roamers

2020 4X4 170 Crew
How's performance? What are these values? From instrument cluster?
Performance fine, but just running down highway at 75; 18.8 mpg (under 10 mph crosswind) (17.3 with 20 mph headwind 4 days earlier). Data is from vehicle DPF monitor "% vehicle load" as I recall is the term.

72chevy4x4

18.8 sounds nice, I'm getting 15.8 with my 4500.

does the DPF load effect fuel economy (other than the fact it burns fuel to clean the DPF)?

Roamers

2020 4X4 170 Crew
I have no idea what effects DEF consumption or if DPF load effects fuel economy. Fuel economy decreases by 3ish mpg during regen though (that's how I learned about my first regen.)

I hit my first DEF warning at 5035 miles; will add 2.5 gallon in the next few days. My brother has added 2.5 twice with about 2000 miles more than I have; we speculate his DEF tank was not full when he took initial delivery, but 2nd jug was only 3500 miles after first. He has a full 8500# build out, I'm still running around around 6700#. He spent a couple of days in the mountains, I've been pretty much in the flatlands.

Kajtek1

2015 3500 X long limo RV
I had "eye opener" about DEF consumption on my Ford truck.
Coming back from long vacations, I calculated that I should make it home with 1500 miles to spare on the fluid I had.
But 500 miles from home I went to Death Valley, what is mountain driving. So I got message "150 miles till 50 mph speed restriction" 90 miles from home.
It was quite nerve wrecking.
So not having numbers to prove it, but my impression is that mountain driving can quadruple DEF consumption.

D

Deleted member 50714

DEF Consumption is based on many variables. See OM for details.

D

Deleted member 50714

I'm going to wait to the last possible moment and just gonna trade mine in for one the gassers. But I've been thinking about a four-wheel-drive.

D

Deleted member 50714

Who's the say the compliance firmware is any more compliant then non-compliant firmware?

Top Bottom