12v power problems

wayne s

I have intermittent 12v problems with air recycle and airconair-conditioning also power to the vacuum control for turbo

Cheyenne

UK 2004 T1N 313CDi
I have intermittent 12v problems... also power to the vacuum control for turbo
Do you actually have any problems with the turbo actuator or loss of power? If not then you may just be miss diagnosing a fault which does not actually exist. To verify, have you scanned for codes or is that why you are asking about connecting to the 14 pin DLC in your other thread?

The wiring to the turbo vacuum actuator comprises two wires, a BROWN 12 volt feed from the ECM and a second wire (sorry can't remember colour) which is grounded by the ECM at a variable rate by PWM control to control the opening/closing of the valve. You should be able measure 12 volts relevant to ground on the brown wire but any further diagnosis will require a scan tool.

And I can't help with A/C as my UK spec doesn't have it!

Keith.

autostaretx

Erratic Member
Engine vacuum is used for both turbo activation (depending upon engine ... US OM612 did) *and* air box flap control/motion. (and power brakes)
So a disconnect or breakage of the vacuum hose could affect both systems.

--dick

wayne s

Do you actually have any problems with the turbo actuator or loss of power? If not then you may just be miss diagnosing a fault which does not actually exist. To verify, have you scanned for codes or is that why you are asking about connecting to the 14 pin DLC in your other thread?

The wiring to the turbo vacuum actuator comprises two wires, a BROWN 12 volt feed from the ECM and a second wire (sorry can't remember colour) which is grounded by the ECM at a variable rate by PWM control to control the opening/closing of the valve. You should be able measure 12 volts relevant to ground on the brown wire but any further diagnosis will require a scan tool.

Keith.
Thanks Keith

wayne s

Engine vacuum is used for both turbo activation (depending upon engine ... US OM612 did) *and* air box flap control/motion. (and power brakes)
So a disconnect or breakage of the vacuum hose could affect both systems.

--dick
For both I disconnected the vacuum lines at actuator and bypassed it and the westgate on the turbo worked fine I also did the same with the airbox flap and had the same result that's what brings me to electrical

Cheyenne

UK 2004 T1N 313CDi
For both I disconnected the vacuum lines at actuator and bypassed it and the westgate on the turbo worked fine I also did the same with the airbox flap and had the same result that's what brings me to electrical
Wayne,

You do not have a wastegate on your turbo! This is German engineering and uses a boost actuator to control the amount of boost the turbo produces rather than a wastegate to dump the excess.

It sounds like either your vacuum pump has failed or you have a vacuum leak somewhere in the system.

Keith.T1N Vac Valve and schematic.png

wayne s

Yes Keith that's it.
My power brakes are fine that's also what brings me to electricals

Last edited:

wayne s

Keith.
Hi Keith sorry to be a pain where will I fined the ECM and PWM please

Cheyenne

UK 2004 T1N 313CDi
The ECM is the Engine Control Module or in other words the main computer brain. It is located under the left hand end of the dash.

PWM means Pulse Width Modulation and is a means of proportionally controlling the opening of a valve. It is a fast switched on/off signal which varies in percentage of on to off to control how far the valve remains open. You can only measure the signal with an oscilloscope or high quality multimeter with the correct setting. A Sprinter specific scanner can show the commanded percentage but there is no feedback as to whether the valve is actually responding correctly.

Keith.

Eric Experience

Wayne.
Can you go back to the start of your problem and describe exactly what is happening to your vehicle. the only thing in common with the faults is the vacuum system. Eric.

Cheyenne

UK 2004 T1N 313CDi
Wayne.
Can you go back to the start of your problem and describe exactly what is happening to your vehicle. the only thing in common with the faults is the vacuum system. Eric.
Do you actually have any problems with the turbo actuator or loss of power? If not then you may just be miss diagnosing a fault which does not actually exist. To verify, have you scanned for codes...
Keith.
Exactly what I asked earlier in the thread and unfortunately did not get a direct answer to!

Keith.

wayne s

Exactly what I asked earlier in the thread and unfortunately did not get a direct answer to!

Keith.
We where on a long holiday and the turbo would so working and sometimes cut back in but not for hours I also noticed the red light on the recycle flap switch would go out and we would loose the aircon if the light came back on we would have the aircon.
when we stop for the night I pulled the grill a head light out to check the vacuum switch to the turbo, I pulled of the 2 top vacuum lines put them together and the boost actuator worked I did the same with the recycle flap switch and it closed. I don't have a scanner.
hope this explains my problem better.

Eric Experience

Wayne.
You have a vacuum problem. There is a restriction in the T piece where the line goes into the booster, the restriction allows the brakes to work if the system has a leak. Check the restriction is not blocked then go over all the lines and find the leak. The rubber tube is cheap and easily replaced. Eric.

wayne s

Wayne.
You have a vacuum problem. There is a restriction in the T piece where the line goes into the booster, the restriction allows the brakes to work if the system has a leak. Check the restriction is not blocked then go over all the lines and find the leak. The rubber tube is cheap and easily replaced. Eric.
Update I hot wired the red wire on the vacuum valve to the recycle flap, flap close air conditioning working now to trace wiring need to fined diagrams
checked voltage at pressure solenoid for Turbo 14 volts

Eric Experience

Wayne.
You have both a vacuum and an electrical problem, Be very careful hot wiring anything, you can damage the computer, The air con wiring is usually done locally organised by the dealer so you will not find a cct, The turbo control is driven by a series of pulses, you should not be able to see them with a simple meter, find your vacuum leak, you will do a lot better if you get a vacuum gauge, there are plenty around, they were used to tune petrol cars up until recently. Eric.

wayne s

Wayne.
You have both a vacuum and an electrical problem, Be very careful hot wiring anything, you can damage the computer, The air con wiring is usually done locally organised by the dealer so you will not find a cct, The turbo control is driven by a series of pulses, you should not be able to see them with a simple meter, find your vacuum leak, you will do a lot better if you get a vacuum gauge, there are plenty around, they were used to tune petrol cars up until recently. Eric.
Borrowed a vacuum gauge testing all lines today thanks Eric

wayne s

Looking like a vacuum solenoid after vacuum test it is by passing to waste can someone help me with a part number mine is a WDB904 is A0005450527 sound right

Last edited:

Top Bottom