thinkcar Thinkscan OBD2 Scanner for Mercedes-Benz/Sprinter/Smart, Full System Professional Code Reader

Mein Sprinter

Known member
Am curious and excuse my ignorance.... can this new scanner (Thinkscan) or other equivalents indicate proper transmission fluid level at certain temperatures?

Cheers...

Am curious and excuse my ignorance.... can this new scanner (Thinkscan) or other equivalents indicate proper transmission fluid level at certain temperatures?

Cheers...
For what model year? That is a critical question, but my guess is that 100 buck scan tool will not have that even for the new models which may provide the feature.

None of the NAS aka NAFTA 2001 - 2018 Sprinters with NAG1 transmission have any sensor for transmission fluid level readings. The best that a 100 buck scan tool will provide is the transmission temperature that can be used along with the proper MB stop ear style temperature calibrated dipstick.

I believe the newer model VS30 Sprinters have no provision for a dipstick. Those models would have a transmission fluid level sensor.

vic

Ordered one today - $92.99 with coupon. Interested to see how well (or poorly) it works. Will report back.
Thanks for your purchase and being a guinea pig. :thumbup:

I would buy one, but I already have spent too many dollars on Sprinter specific scan tools. AND... have really not needed to use them. :bash:

Oops... now knocking - touching wood furiously. :doh:

Please do keep us updated.

:cheers: vic

Mein Sprinter

Known member
For what model year? That is a critical question, but my guess is that 100 buck scan tool will not have that even for the new models which may provide the feature.

None of the NAS aka NAFTA 2001 - 2018 Sprinters with NAG1 transmission have any sensor for transmission fluid level readings. The best that a 100 buck scan tool will provide is the transmission temperature that can be used along with the proper MB stop ear style temperature calibrated dipstick.

I believe the newer model VS30 Sprinters have no provision for a dipstick. Those models would have a transmission fluid level sensor.

vic
Thank you Aqua Puttana.... a calibrated dipstick which I currently have. I use the ScanGauge II cooling temperature readings to determine closely the trans temp! No equal but close ???

Cheers...

Mein Sprinter

Known member

vic

Maybe this site isn't for transmission chat, just the Scanners!!? You could help me here and move it to the proper site. Thank you

Have the dipstick like I said beforehand to measure fluid level. Instructions that came with the dipstick indicated that for the NAG1: just insert the stick until it stops while with the 2002-2006 measure about 3" from the filler tube and read the fluid level!. My 2010 NAG1 trans does not provide a "stop" for the dipstick therefore I guess I'll have to use the 2002-2006 3" approach.

Another thing: I replaced the leaking transmission 13-Pin Connector Adapter Plug as it is 10 years old and guess what where it is made or was"

Cheers...

The Sprinta

Quick initial review- this thing is pretty impressive. Feels and looks high quality. Nice display. Instructions are a bit lacking (and out of sequence) but I was easily able to update and register the device.

Side convo on why I bought this scanner- I was in the mountains on a gravel forest access road and the check engine light came on. I went to Autozone later that day and they read P040B - Exhaust Gas Recirculation Temp Sensor A Circuit Range/Performance. Light went out and came back on randomly along the way home. I removed and cleaned the two EGR sensors and the light went out. The rear sensor was pretty blackened while the front was relatively clean.

I used this new to scanner first to scan generic OBD2 and obtained the same code (P040B) as a reader at Autozone. The check engine light was off at this point. When I used the included Sprinter scan Software it pulled 3 codes: the notorious P261f71 code, P040B27, and P040C00. I’m a bit confused by the P261F didn’t pop up with the generic scan. I did smell a faint odor of coolant, so perhaps I have the failing water pump issue. Hope it didn’t draw into the vacuum system, but luckily it will be covered under warranty.

5E962EA5-6F95-4132-93F4-EDADB23A2CAF.jpeg1DC87458-7666-4F50-A580-F93ED7596F71.jpegA68D0004-417C-4D27-B8BF-71BF781B2233.jpeg52F04333-9A79-4C2D-8359-19CA77ADA783.jpegBFD24561-2C4E-4281-9E97-66ADB2AE6A50.jpeg

The Sprinta

And the DTC that has me worried...

3FE1DC8E-A4F9-4BF7-BBEF-7773AF0D7EB9.jpeg

Please take any P271f71 discussion here.

Last edited by a moderator:

And the DTC that has me worried...

View attachment 156049
Please take any DTC discussion to other threads. Otherwise it will take this Thinkscan thread too far off track.

Here's a P261f71 discussion.

Back to the Thinkscan scan tool topic please.

vic

Last edited:

The Sprinta

Please take any DTC discussion to other threads. Otherwise it will take this Thinkscan thread too far off track.

Here's a P261f71 discussion.

vic
Good call, didn’t mean to divert the conversation. Thanks!

dianathemoon

I was just looking at the Thinkscan tool on Amazon (currently $99), and comparing it with the Foxwell NT510 Elite (currently $143) and noticed that they must be made by the same company, as the email address to check if your vehicle is covered by the tool (obdzon_assist3@163.com) is the same.

Cheyenne

UK 2004 T1N 313CDi
I was just looking at the Thinkscan tool on Amazon (currently $99), and comparing it with the Foxwell NT510 Elite (currently $143) and noticed that they must be made by the same company, as the email address to check if your vehicle is covered by the tool (obdzon_assist3@163.com) is the same.
That looks like sellers email address rather than the manufacturers email.

Keith.

Can you verify that it definitely has Forced Regen capability? Looking to pick one up also.
Shane.
I don't blame you for wanting verification.

The info here indicates that it does if that helps.

Even if it doesn't have all of the functions people are hoping for, at 100 bucks if it gets used once it probably paid for itself. That is particularly true if you avoid one trip to a dealership.

Need stand alone Adblue or SCR capable scanner.
Again.
But not for 100 bucks.

You should start a thread to get members looking for solutions. It seems to me there was some 10 start countdown electronic unit to extend the time that is given.

Back to 100 buck Thinkscan discussion.

:cheers:

Caseconversion

A quick search didn't find anything in the Scanners section.

I have no experience at all with this scan tool. It just caught my eye. By the description and reviewing a few of the questions this looks like a decent deal for a basic MB friendly scan tool.

thinkcar Thinkscan OBD2 Scanner for Mercedes-Benz/Sprinter/Smart, Full System

Professional Code Reader Car Diagnostic Scanner Tool Check

Today the Amazon Prime price is $114.99. There is also an additional $20 off coupon. A stand alone (no internet/data access needed) MB scan tool for under 100 bucks seems like an option worth considering.

Those Autel AP200 owners who often travel outside of internet/data access areas would be a candidate in my opinion.

Would this work for a 2020 vs30 Sprinter?

Top Bottom