cutting openings where windows should be??

bmfrc

Hi all, this is my first post on the forum!!! I do lots of custom sprinter builds, from limo jet like, to cargo conversions, etc. the sprintet is such a cool platform to work from. I am currently building one that will have tvs on the outside of the van, but recessed in where the windows will go. This is on an 08 model, the largest one made. (cant remember the exact model, but this thing is huge) I have seen some done, but am not sure how it was done, and am looking for some here. I started out by making a pattern of the pinch welds from the inside and transfered it to the outside of the van. I do not like the way the shape looks on the outside though. I am planning on using the piece I cut out as the actual flap on the outside. As far as sealing it when it is closed, I thought about ordering the rubber that goes on the pinch weld from the vans that come with glass from the factory.... I would really appreciate any input from some of you who have done windows in your vans. I will post some pics soon.
thanks
Brandon

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
Hi all, this is my first post on the forum!!! I do lots of custom sprinter builds, from limo jet like, to cargo conversions, etc. the sprintet is such a cool platform to work from. I am currently building one that will have tvs on the outside of the van, but recessed in where the windows will go. This is on an 08 model, the largest one made. (cant remember the exact model, but this thing is huge) I have seen some done, but am not sure how it was done, and am looking for some here. I started out by making a pattern of the pinch welds from the inside and transfered it to the outside of the van. I do not like the way the shape looks on the outside though. I am planning on using the piece I cut out as the actual flap on the outside. As far as sealing it when it is closed, I thought about ordering the rubber that goes on the pinch weld from the vans that come with glass from the factory.... I would really appreciate any input from some of you who have done windows in your vans. I will post some pics soon.
thanks
Brandon
Post pics any so I can see what your up to please.
Warning do not pre-cut any metal yet as the cargo van window cut out seam is different from the passenger unit, once you remove the vertical bars you will lose structural strength and add stress on the frame ,thus likely to circumvent your warranty or place the vans operational safety tolerances at risk.
It can be done but you need a laser welder or a high quality seam welder, there is more to it than that though.
View attachment XBA window opening without glass 3-17-08.pdf

View attachment B-Pillar remove-install.pdf
Richard

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
Bump bump:popcorn:

Top Bottom