oops big clunk, at shut down. turbo weird now

sassmatt72

2006 high top long, Fully converted by me
so turbo is acting like hose blown off (no boost pressure) and loud rushing noise. no code shown.
but things change when cleared.
seems like actuator is jammed up?
ideas. in hotel for quarantine time for next 2 weeks so I can't even touch the van till then.
lol

sassmatt72

I really just need somebody to rv the motor while I look under the hood. but it seemed like it could be a turbo issue (actuator?)??? lots of noise made me look to hoses first. (resonator replacement on van already, too.)

sassmatt72

so can the turbo actuator "jam-up"?
can it be lubed?
I need to find a fix (from my hotel room) even if it means buying parts (that would be new but maybe not needed?). I'm on a schedule (14 days in room Q-time) but then I have a ferry booking. so need to know a FIX...
(anybody in Surrey area?) lol till I cry.
she drove great till then.

Hellshalfacre

2005, 2500
Someone on here described a failure of the actuator wherein the hardware connecting the actuator linkage had rusted and fallen apart, disconnecting the actuator entirely...trying to find the post, but worth a check. Violating quarantine for a moment in the interest of your van's health should be completely understandable to any BS functionary who may inquire. In the mean time I will snap a pic of where this linkage lives on my van so you can check yours.

Where are you located? There may be a local shop who will check your truck where it sits. If in situ inspection is not an option, a tow truck can move it to a shop.

The Garrett turbo is generally reliable. A turbo is also expensive. A loud rushing noise hints that the turbo is not "jammed".

If you had new charge air parts installed recently it wouldn't be out of the question that a loose hose clamp has decided to pop a hose free.

vic

sassmatt72

All hoses replaced a year ago, including resonator to aluminum. I gave a quick check to hoses they seemed fine. I gave a wiggle check to linkage, did not move, so not fallen off, but no movement so can it jam?

no I can’t go out to van period.

Hellshalfacre

2005, 2500
What did you mean by "things change when cleared" in your original post? There are 7 charge air connections between turbo outlet and the intake manifold that could be suspect. You checked them all? Also was the rushing sound like the engine laboring without the assurance of charge air, or of charge air escaping from somewhere?

sassmatt72

Sounds (to me) like air rushing.
no codes but I’m limp mode andthen not after clearing ecu.

Hellshalfacre

2005, 2500
Def seems like air escaping.
Then I would recheck those hoses. I would think you'd get a code if the boost was that low... that sentence will likely prompt some responses regarding why you wouldn't necessarily get a code if a charge air hose blew open, but loss of boost+air rushing sound+actuator linkage appearing to be intact sounds a good sized leak somewhere. The "clunk" at shutdown is an odd symptom though...The linkage could be lubed like any other linkage I suppose.

vanski

If it’s winter, I’m probably skiing..
I went into LHM, no CEL, the other day and my n box didn’t show a code where my c3 scanner did.. 2359-001 in my case. I posted this up in the appropriate thread and it sounds like a RAM issue in the box. I guess if you scroll left, instead of right, to view the code it uses less RAM or something. I haven’t been able to produce the code again and then view with the box. Will do that sometime and report back.

Hellshalfacre

2005, 2500

Check this thread. Sound like your issue at all?

sassmatt72

looks like it is a crack in my hot side turbo hose (only 1.5 years old).
A member local to me (where I'm sitting out my 14day q-time) came by and found it for me. thanks again Brian.
now if I can just get one in my hands before next Monday (8 days away), but I'm in Surrey BC so we will see.
Local dealer should have it....

Top Bottom