Instrument cluster fire

Jojojoshhart

Last week I woke up to a fire in my instrument cluster. Upon inspection it was caused by a previous owner placing an aftermarket alarm system ( that shorted) directly to the ignition. 53 splices later and some new junkyard parts INCLUDING A BEW INSTRUMENT CLUSTER I have repaired all visible damage and have the van running. but I do have an abs esp and traction control light on. Which leads me to my question, did I miss a connection, install wheel position sensor wrong, or is it possible that these codes are tied to my instrument cluster of the donor van. In need of someone smart!

Attachments

WOW!!

... or is it possible that these codes are tied to my instrument cluster of the donor van.
I believe that DTC's can stay with/follow used replacement parts. I recall someone installing a used shifter module which brought some erroneous DTC's with it.

Another possibility is ECM/new part compatibility/programming. 2004 models have a history of needing a new Instrument Cluster IC after the T21 recall is performed.

A basic question, but worth asking. Have you tried clearing the DTC's?

In need of someone smart!
That search continues.

vic

Jojojoshhart

WOW!!

I believe that DTC's can stay with/follow used replacement parts. I recall someone installing a used shifter module which brought some erroneous DTC's with it.

Another possibility is ECM/new part compatibility/programming. 2004 models have a history of needing a new Instrument Cluster IC after the T21 recall is performed.

A basic question, but worth asking. Have you tried clearing the DTC's?

That search continues.

vic
I have reset DTC’s but maybe with a better scanner I can look at ESP codes. I won’t rule out codes from the donor van.

thank you!

Nautamaran

2004 140” HRC 2500 (Crewed)
Was the steering angle sensor recalibrated? It may throw those systems off... I had these lamps come on together randomly; cleaning ground connections and Fuse Box #1 put that into remission.
(Disclaimer: I’m not that smart either...)

-dave

B

billintomahawk

You should be able to read both rear wheel speeds as live data while driving.
Probably in the transmission module.

Do the wheel speeds match?

bill in tomahawk

I have reset DTC’s but maybe with a better scanner I can look at ESP codes.
Depending upon the DTC's a generic scan tool may not actually clear the DTC's. If the DTC's reside in the TCM then access to the TCM module itself may be necessary. A generic scan tool may be displaying companion/informational DTC's.

Generally it is best to use a Sprinter friendly scan tool. A generic tool can lead you down the garden path with incomplete information.

vic

Jojojoshhart

Still fighting this battle, found a proper snap on scan tool and it said that’s the steering wheel sensor was not calibrated. Does the dealer have to do this? Does anyone have experience calibrating?

Nautamaran

2004 140” HRC 2500 (Crewed)
Service manual just says “Recalibrate the steering angle sensor using the scan tool.” so if your Snapon doesn’t have a function for it, I’m guessing you’re heading to a capable shop or dealer.

-dave
(maybe I am that smart after all? ?)

Top Bottom