Think I have a Front Suspension Problem

PeterInSa

Re (If one spring was broken then the suspension would have dropped onto the bump stops. That is what is so puzzling about your story. )
Eric, Agree, When I heard the first loud Crunch, I thought that the windscreen had come adrift and hit the surrounds but it was solid/insitu.

Patrick, Drivres side mudguard 15mm lower re above
(Prior to jacking up the front the lower rim edge of the drivers side wheel was 62.5mm away from the mudguard, passenger side 64mm )

Drayton

Hi Peter
when mine broke , the L/H/S was on the bump stop , not so the R/H/S . Can u take it to dealership . CIL insurance paid for repair & accomodation ?
Cheers Chris

PeterInSa

Update:
Looked into the tools needed to release the top of the shocks, decided if going this far would replace the shocks. Did all sorts of underbody checks to find a source of the crunch, engine mounts and.. and.. and. Spoke to a Design Engineer at Monroe re Shock noises, he thought the Shock could be Topping out when going over a bump. My shock order got lost in the system. Late last week ordered another set. Sunday/Monday took the Sprinter to a Beach Camp ground, tried holding the dash then Windcreen when going over bumps. To me the screen did not feel the same as the doors, So canceled the shock Order. Today with a friend went over a serious bump and he could feel the screen move.

Back home the bottom of the screen could be slightly pushed out with some pressure.

History: 2 or 3 years ago had some rust around the windcreen. Had the screen taken out. Did a KBS job ( similar to 2 part araldite but only 1 part) then a paint, The guy that did the screen replacement left out a rubber part at the bottom of the screen. Took the part and the Sprinter to another Org thinking that they would need to pull the screen out again to put the part in down the bottom of the screen , but the did not need to.

Took the Sprinter to the Org that replaced the bottom rubber part and they will pull the screen out and replace Wed/Thur was told that the crunching was probably caused by the Er.... ( rubber stuff being pulled away from the glass.) as I was worried that the crunch could be metal hitting the bottom of the glass screen and I would need to do another KBS/Paint job.

Would like to Thank You for your comments especially Eric as I am wary of unknown sources of sound in my vehicles.

Peter

vwvic

Update:
Looked into the tools needed to release the top of the shocks, decided if going this far would replace the shocks. Did all sorts of underbody checks to find a source of the crunch, engine mounts and.. and.. and. Spoke to a Design Engineer at Monroe re Shock noises, he thought the Shock could be Topping out when going over a bump. My shock order got lost in the system. Late last week ordered another set. Sunday/Monday took the Sprinter to a Beach Camp ground, tried holding the dash then Windcreen when going over bumps. To me the screen did not feel the same as the doors, So canceled the shock Order. Today with a friend went over a serious bump and he could feel the screen move.

Back home the bottom of the screen could be slightly pushed out with some pressure.

History: 2 or 3 years ago had some rust around the windcreen. Had the screen taken out. Did a KBS job ( similar to 2 part araldite but only 1 part) then a paint, The guy that did the screen replacement left out a rubber part at the bottom of the screen. Took the part and the Sprinter to another Org thinking that they would need to pull the screen out again to put the part in down the bottom of the screen , but the did not need to.

Took the Sprinter to the Org that replaced the bottom rubber part and they will pull the screen out and replace Wed/Thur was told that the crunching was probably caused by the Er.... ( rubber stuff being pulled away from the glass.) as I was worried that the crunch could be metal hitting the bottom of the glass screen and I would need to do another KBS/Paint job.

Would like to Thank You for your comments especially Eric as I am wary of unknown sources of sound in my vehicles.

Peter
Hi peter

When you remove the windscreen I would be keen to know how the (KBS/Paint job) looks after 2-3 years.
Was it the three step KBS treatment.

Vic

PeterInSa

Vic
I did not see the windscreen out or the KBS/paint job.
However I did see the Eurothane?? that had been suck to the windscreen( loose, after take out).. This Euro-than from all around the screen had white paint on it, ie the paint and given away /come away from the metal backing at the bottom of the screen and was probably in the process of giving away up the sides.

The Windscreen Org cleaned the paint back to the KBS and put some Bostik Prep G Plus on the KBS prior to putting back the screen, assuring me "I wont be back".
If doing the job again I would not use primer/paint on the area that the Eurothane??? is going to be put on to hold the screen, I think I would just use the Bostik stuff ( after a call to Bostik) over the KBS. ( Of course multi paint all other areas, think I must have put on 10 coats+)

Note when I had the screen removed prior to fixing the rust 2 or 3 years ago, the 4 corners ( 10cm each side of the corner)of the metal body work holding the screen were rustie indicating that the original MB paint had let go or a repairer had cleaned up some rust and the clean up job/Eurothane had let go.

Note I have used KBS on our Cruiser to me with great success, but virtually on stationary panels, Not on high stress/ high movement/ large area, like the windscreen of the Sprinter.

The Fix: Pull out/Repair/Refit $220.

Similar

Definitely been an inconvenience, but glad I did the job years ago, have seen some Sprinters in a lot worse condition than when I did my fix, and its a shame that MB say did not come up with more/bigger drain holes, or that windscreen replacers scratch the screen surrounds on removal which can be the start of rust.

Note above is my experience, yours may be different.

jaahn

Hi Peter :)
Thanks for keeping us informed. Well told and easy to follow.
I must say it is the strangest 'front suspension problem' story I have heard. :rolleyes: but gees that screen is soooo big and the body is sooo big too so there is a lot of stress on the glue. Go easy on the speed humps etc is the learning bit I guess.
I had my cracked windscreen replaced last year and I did the bottom corners while it was off. The fitter did it in two steps. I was pleasantly surprised mine was not very bad and needed minimal cleaning and repainting so I used only ordinary paint and primer. :thumbup: Fingers crossed.
But the dash facia which was cracked got much worse when it took some weight a couple of times and needs replacing completely now.
Jaahn

vwvic

Thanks Peter for your report
I have some rust coming out around my windscreen even tho I removed it 2-3 years ago and treated the rust.
I thought I had done a good job but it appears not good enough.
I plan to remove it again and this time give it the KBS treatment, then after replacing it I intend to seal all the way around
from the glass to the body with gorilla tape.
I know this sounds a bit crude but I have tried a couple of sample bits of tape and you hardly notice it.
The design for the windscreen moulding and drainage is very poor
Vic

PeterInSa

Vic, Me I would not use the gorilla tape, just KBS, just paint/body fill/sand and.. and.. , away from the area that the Screen/Eurthane will stick down.

The problem with the G Tape is if any water gets under it, under the tape and MB rubber surrounds will be like a steam pressure cooker in the hot sun, getting steam/water into areas that would not normally be in contact.

Also if selling in the future the vehicle will look like you are hiding something.

Why I did the KBS job myself, I checked out a few paint shops in Adelaide asking them how they would treat the rust and was not impressed with their answers..( probably similar to your exercise). However I must admit that any rust coming from inside out and just covering the top with KBS will not be a long long term fix and its hard to see if the outside metal looks great..

PeterInSa

Re ( I checked out a few paint shops in Adelaide asking them how they would treat the rust and was not impressed with their answers.. ) This was done prior top my KBS Fix, However 2 or 3 years prior I paid $450 to a crash shop to fix the surface rust around the screen( remove/fix/replace) you can imagine my annoyance when the 2 or 3 years later the rust popped up again and the reason for my DIY KBS fix.

Re the KBS Job. I covered about 3mm on the body (the flat screen surround, ie. door pillars/roof/and under screen) prior to the 60deg bend and the flat section where the Eurthane is put to hold the screen. This is where the paint work can be scratched when a repairer removes the screen. I think from memory the second KBS coat I put on B4 the first coat was dry ( about 3 hours after the first coat). However 2 coats of KBS of about 1.5mm thick creates a ridge that needs to be camouflaged with body filler and paint etc.

PeterInSa

Re (is there any reason for the rubber surround other than aesthetic? )

I think its just for looks, and to me it probably helps to trap water if the bottom drain holes get blocked up, and who unblocks them every 3 months.... Not me..... however I like the look of Sprinters and the rubber surround to me is worth keeping.

Top Bottom